Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I just look at the world--it is very sick--in the heart.
Why did your god knowingly create it that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
The problem in your thinking is--- God requires--FAITH. Not evidence.
Actually, more accurately, your religion requires faith. Is there anything anyone cannot claim, based on faith?

Old 12-01-2016, 11:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Except now the 7 headed beast and 2 horned beast have been there for years now.
Only in your delusion.

Quote:
I just look at the world--it is very sick--in the heart.
It always has been.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Ah yes so people who do not see it your way are "thick". Same ole from you then huh? Insults trump points every time.

But actually there is nothing "thick" about it because we do not have such dominion. We are - for example - at the complete mercy of the micro-bacterial world.

1) We are alive at their behest - as a significant chunk of your biomass is not human but bacteria working in symbiosis with you to keep you alive and you would simply keep over and die without them.

2) The right strain of infection could effectively - if not entirely - wipe us out entirely at less than a whim.

3) Were an Extinction Level Event to occur on this planet at any time it would likely wipe us out entirely and the bacterial world would continue entirely regardless - and entirely oblivious to our departure.

So you think we have "dominion"? Pull the one with bells on - if anyone can be said to have dominion - and I do not think it can justifiably be said but _if_ - then it is the single cellular world not us.
So true! I recall when I took Medical Micro, that I learned how these bacteria/microbes/ "bugs" are just one step behind us...virtually on our heels. How research microbiologists are working as fast as they can to keep on step ahead of them. Microbes result in 700,000 deaths per year.

Here is one such fellow. Saudi Microbiologist Develops Test to Fight Superbugs

Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why did your god knowingly create it that way?

If you read the bible, you would know, God did not create the world this way. The 3 rebels in Eden caused this system.
God created mortals to know only good, to live forever in perfection, never sick, diseased, or aging. As long as they didn't eat of that tree. Was that so much to ask of mortals after handing life on a silver platter to them, to live in a world of a paradise?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:48 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I agree there is no hell and forgive me for forgetting that JWs believe in annihilation rather than hell. I can scarcely keep the dogmas and counter-dogmas of various groups straight sometimes. But you didn't address the main point concerning whether or not it can reasonably be said we have "the words of Jesus". I guess others can speculate about why you studiously ignore that line of reasoning.

Those who live for sin, hope those words aren't from Jesus. I know they are from Jesus.
Lines of mortal reasoning do not carry much weight. Those who love God, study every utterance over and over and know already that God set only life or death before men( Deut 30:19) Thus can easily throw out the false teachers.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Those who live for sin, hope those words aren't from Jesus. I know they are from Jesus.
Lines of mortal reasoning do not carry much weight. Those who love God, study every utterance over and over and know already that God set only life or death before men( Deut 30:19) Thus can easily throw out the false teachers.
You still haven't addressed the point.

I didn't say we don't have the words of Jesus because "I just know we don't". I presented logical argument and evidence to support my claim. You have done neither. Instead you simply repeated a baseless assertion of your particular dogma, which in turn you haven't established has any more standing than the next person's favorite dogma.

Your disparagement of reason is also very typical. By calling it "mortal reason" you imply there is an antonym to that ... let us call it "immortal unreason". Because what you have on offer isn't reason.

Reason is the same no matter who uses it -- religious, areligious, human, or god. And each use is either valid or faulty.

I will give you credit however for being faithful to scripture, which also disparages reason. The authors of scripture understood that reason, logic, curiosity, and education were their greatest enemy, for religious faith requires that all those be overridden and its teachings be uncritically and unskeptically accepted, even when the teachings contradict our presumably god-given minds and learning opportunities.

Last edited by mordant; 12-02-2016 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 12:19 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
If you read the bible, you would know, God did not create the world this way. The 3 rebels in Eden caused this system.
...but your god DID create it that way...by creating it KNOWING that THAT would happen. That's the trouble with being omnimax...you are responsible for EVERYTHING. It's a real bugger!!!

Quote:
God created mortals to know only good, to live forever in perfection, never sick, diseased, or aging.
If they were created to only know good then how could they know bad. You are saying that the machine that was created to be perfect acquired imperfection. How does that work. Something cannot be perfect yet have the capacity to become imperfect. If it has that capacity then it is not 'perfect'. The only way for that to happen is for it to be designed to fail...and clearly, your three rebels were designed to fail. They did exactly what you god wanted them to do...and now he blames us for the failure that he designed. LOL!

You scenario is the same as an engineer designing an engine that he knows will fail as soon as it is used....and then, when it does exactly what he designed it to do, having a hissy fit and cursing the user of his engine and all his descendants for ever more...because his engine failed. It's about the most idiotic thing imaginable. Well, apart from........

Quote:
As long as they didn't eat of that tree.
Then why put the tree there in the first place??

Old 12-03-2016, 06:13 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
God created mortals to know only good, to live forever in perfection, never sick, diseased, or aging. As long as they didn't eat of that tree. Was that so much to ask of mortals after handing life on a silver platter to them, to live in a world of a paradise?
Would you have eaten the knowledge fruit if you were Adam?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
why do we have storms? why do people die?

why do bad things happen?

really? do we know so little about whats going on?
I mean even less than we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality