Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
I'm a Catholic and I love discussing with Jehovah Witnesses. It is just funny when they argue to sell their booklets. They think all catholics are lost souls
Jw,s sell nothing it is given free--donations from a heart of love is all sought by Jesus and his followers.
You are misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
JWs are petty nice folks. i just dont like some of their religious beliefs...like not participating in the defense of the country, no birthdays, no blood transfusions, etc.
1John 3:10-12-- no slaughtering one another is allowed.( especially the supposed brothers in Christ vs the brothers in Christ who slaughtered( millions upon millions--as well family lines cut off) one another in the rev war--the civil war--ww1, ww2
One of the biggest hipocrosys ever witnessed by all of creation--praying to the same God on both sides of slaughter)

Most I have seen use a birthday as an excuse for ecessive sin--the only two examples in the bible are by wicked people--God does not accept the promoting of ones self. Jesus said to be no part of this world and its traditions-He said one would be hated for that--as well ones own family members would become their enemies( spiritually) Matt 10:36

Old 01-15-2015, 01:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
They are some of the nicest people I know. I have always found them empathetic and kind.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
They are some of the nicest people I know. I have always found them empathetic and kind.
Some will not accept that as reality, even though it is true.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some will not accept that as reality, even though it is true.
I know several JWs who live near me. They seem no different than anyone else, unless perhaps a little more caring about their (non-JW) neighbors. But maybe, since I do not adhere to nay particular religion, t is because I have no doctrinal axes to grind with them.

Some JWs not from the neighborhood once rang the doorbell, but my 'canine chorus' discouraged them from staying or returning. Especially the basso profundo malamute. Sweethearts all, but quite loud at times. I was polite but leery of discussions with them since I know they would not appreciate my views on religion.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
I know several JWs who live near me. They seem no different than anyone else, unless perhaps a little more caring about their (non-JW) neighbors. But maybe, since I do not adhere to nay particular religion, t is because I have no doctrinal axes to grind with them.

Some JWs not from the neighborhood once rang the doorbell, but my 'canine chorus' discouraged them from staying or returning. Especially the basso profundo malamute. Sweethearts all, but quite loud at times. I was polite but leery of discussions with them since I know they would not appreciate my views on religion.

Such a shame--Gods word teaches if one rejects Jesus' anointed teachers--they are as well rejecting Jesus and God. Luke 10:16

Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Such a shame--Gods word teaches if one rejects Jesus' anointed teachers--they are as well rejecting Jesus and God. Luke 10:16
Fortunately, that's not at all true.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM

88 posts, read 213,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I was curious if Jw believe Jesus is the Messiah. Or the deity of Christ.
This is likely a setup challenge question by a non-JW, but I'll bite: JW's beleive that Jesus is the born son of Jehovah/God. They point to the pagan origins of the trinity and the lack of support for a trinity in the bible.

FWIW, I am not a JW, but married to one. I've spent a lot of time looking into their theology, history and structure. I personally have issues with their leadership and some of their doctorin but overall I find them very "normal" and nice people as I have the opportunity to interact with them on a regular basis. I am invited and often go to their parties, get togethers, BBQ's, etc and rarely get attitude. I've been fishing, hunting and rode horses with some of them. Note that I am in my 40's, covered in tattoos and listen to punk-rock but an overall friendly guy myself. I have only been asked to "study" or asked if I had any questions about their religion 3-4 times in the last decade by elders. Yes, my wife references biblical stuff in discussions. Yes, their literature is all over the house. Yes at times it drives me crazy, but only because its not my "thing".

A lot of detractors focus on the door-to-door annoyances. Tell them no thanks, or contact the local Kingdom Hall and tell them not to visit you. They keep track of this stuff. They do the door to door to share what they beleive, not to point out your going to hell. One driver is that once averyone in the world hears the word of Jehovah then the end-times will begin.
Oh yea, I also beleive that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, so we have that in common!

There are also many sour-grapes ex-JW detractors out there who grew up in the religion and found it was not for them and can't let it go. They have to tell the world where the religion is wrong and complain about not having birthday parties etc. You can find these types of detractors from Catholics to Baptists and everywhere in between.

Other detractors are people have grown up in JW families and had legitamate very bad experiences from molestation to mental abuse. JW's don't have exclusive rights to these issues. It is an unfortunate human condition. Even the most devout have a hard time doing religion right.

Anyway, my 2 cents, YMMV.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM

23,154 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
I dont know why.. I have nothing against them or other religions.. But I find them to be a bit.. well.. Thinking there better than everyone else. I feel they want to change the world for the better however, a world with no freedom any more.. What do you think?

THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD! AND I WILL REPORT IF HARASSMENT AGAINST RELIGIONS

Naahhh, they are some really cool people, I like them, but then I always saw them picking their kids up from school when I was picking my kid up from school.

Maybe people don't like them because they are particular in the worship system they keep, if you follow the feasts of Christ, people will not like you. I don't exactly know what they keep, but I don't think they keep Pagan holy days, and in that aspect, they should feel proud for holding themselves to a higher standard.

I think they keep biblical feasts, not sure though.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fortunately, that's not at all true.

Wow-- calling Gods inspired word a lie-- I would hate to be in your shoes at judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality