Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
the country was attacked by Muslim rebels who overthrow the previous government.
Well, here we have the evil from Chrsitians justified then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Who interprets the Bible? I'm pretty sure this is taught in bible colleges and seminaries.

As to which one is correct. I don't know. And why should I? If others are confused about which is right, why should I have all the answers? Whether it's art, music, poetry, the Bible or some other subject. We (as a whole) will never fully agree on anything in life.

As for the piece of scripture you posted and I commented on, if you choose to believe that it literally means Jesus will come with a sword of violence, that's your choice. My interpretation is the opposite because I don't believe Jesus wanted violence and I've learned not to take the words in the Bible as literally as some still do. And no, I don't bend the words in the Bible to fit my beliefs. I look for the true meaning of the Word by posing questions to experts who have been trained in Bible study. We won't agree because in our heart of hearts, many people don't believe in God and I do. So naturally we will see things differently. It's okay, though. I don't expect others to think the way I do. Just offering another point of view about such a controversial subject.
So if the Bible is so confusing that people need to go to a university to interpret it, how good a bookn is it? A proper instruction book is easy to understand. As example, a book written thousands of years ago that is easily understood today is theKama Sutra.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So if the Bible is so confusing that people need to go to a university to interpret it, how good a bookn is it? A proper instruction book is easy to understand. As example, a book written thousands of years ago that is easily understood today is theKama Sutra.
You got me HA! You're just being silly now. You knew exactly what I meant in my post. You're no dummy around here. I've read a good number of your posts so please don't start dumbing down here. It's beneath you.

Let me just say that I am as sure in my belief as you are in yours and we'll leave it at that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Kama Sutra has illustrations to explain what they mean.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Actually, I have some very good friends who are Christians. I just can't understand how someone still believe in myths that were promulgated 3000 years ago, and where there is no evidence outside of the written myth themselves, that there is any semblance of reality to them.

And the same of course applies to both muslims and Mormons. in both of those cases, their religion started by one person talking to an angel, which no one else saw, and they dictated their thoughts to someone else who actually did the writing down. Of course in both cases there is no witnesses to that supposed visit to that angel. As there were no witnesses to the angels that we talked about in the Bible.

Why do we believe this stuff?

Good post, cupp

They believe that childish nonsense because they're weak...

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Good post, cupp

They believe that childish nonsense because they're weak...
They probably believe in comfort myths because their fellow people aren't good enough yet to be appreciated as much as a better ending would be. They could still be strong in many other ways though.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You got me HA! You're just being silly now. You knew exactly what I meant in my post. You're no dummy around here. I've read a good number of your posts so please don't start dumbing down here. It's beneath you.

Let me just say that I am as sure in my belief as you are in yours and we'll leave it at that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Kama Sutra has illustrations to explain what they mean.
Why is it that people only remember and believe in the good parts that are in the Bible?

Why is there a little commentary with regards to things as to how to beat slaves; even Jesus said that the slave knew what he was doing to beat them harder than if the slave was wrong but didn't know that they were wrong.

Nobody talks about the fact that rape is not discussed in the Bible as being wrong.

Nobody talks about the issue of incest being wrong in the Bible. Nor do they talked about making women second class citizens as an issue. In fact Paul very significantly says that women should shut up in church, and if they have questions to ask their husbands. Very mysogenic.

If you're going to believe in the Bible, especially if you can believe it literally, you need to believe in the good parts as well as the bad parts. The bad parts are usually ignored in Sunday Sermons.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Cupper, you really need to go back and read what I wrote. I never said I took what the Bible said literally. As for the atrocities, yes, they did happen and still happen in present day. Even worse, there are still some who believe incest, rape and beatings are acceptable. Thank goodness I don't know anyone like that but it's out there. Please. Don't presume to know what someone else thinks and feels by a few comments on a public forum.

But to stay on point, I will say I am appalled by today's Christians who use violence to achieve a goal. It only proves to me that they have wickedness in their hearts, and are no better than terrorists. I've never understood the reasons behind fighting over land or hating someone because of their faith, skin color, or wealth. We are on this earth for such a short time. You would think that, knowing this, people would try to get along a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality