Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,568,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This idiot claiming to have punched a kid has nothing to do with the Proverb of "spare the rod, spoil the child". Nor is beating a child. The imagery of that Proverb is regarding discipline in general. And yes--it's true that if you do not discipline a child, they will grow up to be spoiled rotten brats with no regard for anyone else.
That's rather pompous of you Vizio, I have 3 children who I've rarely had to even raise my voice with, and none of them act like spoiled rotten brats. They have no examples of rotten adults in their lives to follow suit.

Spare the rod has been taken literally by thousands of Theists, I can post video after video of people actually using rod like instruments striking their kids on here if you need it. I'm glad to see that you don't, but let's not lump all Theists together or paint them with a broad brush, I hear they don't like it.

I don't think of any children as "rotten" for one. Rotten insinuates that child is a lost cause. You can teach your children a lot of lessons by just simply teaching them, it doesn't all come from discipline.

Why do Theists children require so much discipline? I think it tells more about the parent than the children. The parent enjoys being the mini God of the home maybe? Rules the roost? We are all equal at my house, just because some are younger doesn't mean they are any less of person, they just have more to learn. They get equal say in most household decisions, how else do you learn to make them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,043,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That's rather pompous of you Vizio, I have 3 children who I've rarely had to even raise my voice with, and none of them act like spoiled rotten brats. They have no examples of rotten adults in their lives to follow suit.

Spare the rod has been taken literally by thousands of Theists, I can post video after video of people actually using rod like instruments striking their kids on here if you need it. I'm glad to see that you don't, but let's not lump all Theists together or paint them with a broad brush, I hear they don't like it.

I don't think of any children as "rotten" for one. Rotten insinuates that child is a lost cause. You can teach your children a lot of lessons by just simply teaching them, it doesn't all come from discipline.

Why do Theists children require so much discipline? I think it tells more about the parent than the children. The parent enjoys being the mini God of the home maybe? Rules the roost? We are all equal at my house, just because some are younger doesn't mean they are any less of person, they just have more to learn. They get equal say in most household decisions, how else do you learn to make them?
But the parents "created" the children and so they own the children as property for their purposes and not the children's ... I heard that is how the logic behind excusing horrible stories about God (or the Gods) being callous goes.

Still, I barely ever hear Christians speaking out against things like this! And when they do speak out, its just talk, they barely even attempt to do anything about it, it's like they have little control of those in their own faction.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,043,214 times
Check out this bit of trendy information, there have always been people like this at the various Churches I've been to.

The video is from 2012 but I'm sure a lot of people will relate to the sad presence of this overly-controlling mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjm7W-hDLc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality