Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,035,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I wasn't thanking you.

I don't care which group does it; I believe we all the right to be participants in society and to have our beliefs respected. I don't mind the Christian church bells I've grown up with, I don't mind the Islamic call to prayer, I don't mind seeing my fellow Jews walking about in kippahs, and I don't mind the atheist billboards you sometimes see in larger cities.

The biggest threat to society isn't religion; it's bigotry.
And we're full of it.
I wasn't expecting thanks, it was sarcastic. The religious already don't respect my beliefs, that is obvious since they wouldn't allow me to even suggest a "weekly call to the Luminous religion." I don't understand why the faithless need to push their beliefs on the rest of us to pretend they are faithful. If you want your religion then stay in it, don't go to a secular collage, fund you own methods, build your own Jewish eaters that aren't in everyone's face, don't expect any special exceptions. Build your own radio systems so that the Muslim younglings who care can put on their headphones and listen to "the human voice" (of propaganda) through speakers. If self-special people keep asking for special exceptions then the atheists and other religions are rolling over like imbeciles. They should organize and push back harder and more civilly. Once the Muslims welcome the Atheist call to Atheism in Secular private schools with atheists and muslims in them, then maybe they can talk to atheists about this kind of "religious tradition." All religion is, is a mob thinking that it should be respected since its a big enough mob.

Muslims are welcome to post whatever they want on Billboards, and Atheists are welcomed to wear whatever they want in public except ski masks when it isn't cold and they're not skiing, etc. If an Atheist organization gets a tradition of wearing white hoodies that cover the entire face except for the eye-holes, well too bad for them, its probably illegal.
What these propaganda moves are IS bigotry, the religions WONT accept not inserting themselves, they are bigoted against it. They hate not having power, they hate not being power-hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,523,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Nothing I would clutch my pearls over. I imagine Duke can handle it. The Cathedral steps will not crumble, and the beautiful stained glass will not shatter. The sun will rise the very next morning, too.
Of course the steps aren't going to crumble - that's the sort of things the religious believe.

Sure, if Duke is private, then that's their business. In public though, it would be a backward step.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Of course the steps aren't going to crumble - that's the sort of things the religious believe.

Sure, if Duke is private, then that's their business. In public though, it would be a backward step.
I think there is only one private school that doesn't take any government money: its a Christian one and they fully discriminate.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,853,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I wasn't expecting thanks, it was sarcastic. The religious already don't respect my beliefs, that is obvious since they wouldn't allow me to even suggest a "weekly call to the Luminous religion." I don't understand why the faithless need to push their beliefs on the rest of us to pretend they are faithful. If you want your religion then stay in it, don't go to a secular collage, fund you own methods, build your own Jewish eaters that aren't in everyone's face, don't expect any special exceptions. Build your own radio systems so that the Muslim younglings who care can put on their headphones and listen to "the human voice" (of propaganda) through speakers. If self-special people keep asking for special exceptions then the atheists and other religions are rolling over like imbeciles. They should organize and push back harder and more civilly. Once the Muslims welcome the Atheist call to Atheism in Secular private schools with atheists and muslims in them, then maybe they can talk to atheists about this kind of "religious tradition." All religion is, is a mob thinking that it should be respected since its a big enough mob.

Muslims are welcome to post whatever they want on Billboards, and Atheists are welcomed to wear whatever they want in public except ski masks when it isn't cold and they're not skiing, etc. If an Atheist organization gets a tradition of wearing white hoodies that cover the entire face except for the eye-holes, well too bad for them, its probably illegal.
What these propaganda moves are IS bigotry, the religions WONT accept not inserting themselves, they are bigoted against it. They hate not having power, they hate not being power-hungry.
I'm sorry, but being religious in public isn't "propaganda"; it's being part of society.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:38 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,588,487 times
Quote:

I do not mind the public being accommodated as the community is diverse. I will admit I struggle with this at times. We close the government for Christmas. We have all sorts of holiday variety in the town square.

I have a problem with the ten commandments being the only thing accommodated.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,526,891 times
Duke has reversed its decision and has decided not to turn the Duke Chapel bell tower into a minaret. The Muslim group will chant the call to prayer from another location on campus. This has caused quite a stir in the Triangle.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,526,891 times
Quote:
Seems like a big difference to me. One is music, the other is a prayer that specifically broadcasts tenets of a religion.

If the university is private property, that's their business, but I'm certainly not interested in someone's beliefs being broadcast in public places, for all to hear.
And declarations that there is no god but Allah; that he only is to be worshipped. Yes, much different than bells or just music. The English words to the adhan are online.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm sorry, but being religious in public isn't "propaganda"; it's being part of society.
I'm sorry but you are wrong, don't understand psychology, or don't understand propaganda, or a combination of those. Unless you think that Coca-cola mugs aren't propaganda but only "part of society." Being publicly religious is as much propaganda as being atheist in public. If people were walking around wearing shirts that said I'm an Atheist, we would all understand it was atheist propaganda even if they only did it because their parents told them that the Hidden Atheist Enforcement Society had designated a special place for them if they didn't wear it. No one is stoping atheists from wearing atheist shirts, but we do stop them from wearing atheist ski masks when they're not skiing. Being religious in public is all about propaganda and psychology.

Being religious in public is only propaganda, the religious always cling to their mob-mentality, subtle propaganda tactics, and plans to seize more and more power and authority from the free peoples. If they had any real faith they wouldn't need to push their beliefs on others nor make themselves they feel "attacked" by not being an ever constant presence in everyone's public life.

Once the religious respect everyone's beliefs with as much self-righteous dignity as they prefer their own, then I'll think about making "special" exceptions for the "historically special" people. This of course means that there won't be an special exceptions or accommodations for any people who we are to hold together as "equals."

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-15-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,853,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I'm sorry but you are wrong, don't understand psychology, or don't understand propaganda, or a combination of those. Unless you think that Coca-cola mugs aren't propaganda but only "part of society." Being publicly religious is as much propaganda as being atheist in public. If people were walking around wearing shirts that said I'm an Atheist, we would all understand it was atheist propaganda even if they only did it because their parents told them that the Hidden Atheist Enforcement Society had designated a special place for them if they didn't wear it. No one is stoping atheists from wearing atheist shirts, but we do stop them from wearing atheist ski masks when they're not skiing. Being religious in public is all about propaganda and psychology.

Being religious in public is only propaganda, the religious always cling to their mob-mentality, subtle propaganda tactics, and plans to seize more and more power and authority from the free peoples. If they had any real faith they wouldn't need to push their beliefs on others nor make themselves they feel "attacked" by not being an ever constant presence in everyone's public life.

Once the religious respect everyone's beliefs with as much self-righteous dignity as they prefer their own, then I'll think about making "special" exceptions for the "historically special" people. This of course means that there won't be an special exceptions or accommodations for any people who we are to hold together as "equals."
Like I said earlier, the biggest threat to society is bigotry.

I'll leave you to your ranting.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,768,637 times
Just send a text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality