Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times

Advertisements

oh come on! that's preposterous! (isnt it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I believe it.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
oh come on! that's preposterous! (isnt it?)
Just to clarify, you are speaking of the immaculate conception of Mary and not Jesus, correct? Many people think this term is referring to Jesus' conception but in fact it refers to Mary being immaculately conceived. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. And no, I do not believe that Mary was immaculately conceived.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,653 times
Your 15 years old daughter comes to you and says: "Daddy, I'm pregnant. But don't worry, I am still a virgin. I got pregnant from the Holy Spirit".

Pretty easy to believe, isn't?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
Your 15 years old daughter comes to you and says: "Daddy, I'm pregnant. But don't worry, I am still a virgin. I got pregnant from the Holy Spirit".

Pretty easy to believe, isn't?
It's not going to happen a second time.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Just to clarify, you are speaking of the immaculate conception of Mary and not Jesus, correct? Many people think this term is referring to Jesus' conception but in fact it refers to Mary being immaculately conceived. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. And no, I do not believe that Mary was immaculately conceived.
Whoa, what are you talking about?
A baby gets conceived - a woman gets pregnant.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Yes, it is my understanding also that the "immaculate conception" refers to Mary. This is a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. I guess it is possible but I don't believe it because the Bible does not state that Mary was conceived except in the usual way.

However, Nicolepsy, if you mean about Jesus' conception, then while it is supernatural, I don't think much of anything would be preposterous when you put God in the equation (assuming it's not something immoral) because God is supernatural. Therefore, as Jesus said, "with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
It is absurd. Can anyone tell me if it is only the Catholics who believe this? If others believe this also then please list them. Im curious.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is absurd. Can anyone tell me if it is only the Catholics who believe this? If others believe this also then please list them. Im curious.
Which part is absurd?

All of us believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, but the Catholics also believe that Mary was immaculately conceived.

Just like kaykay said, it was God that made this possible. I laugh when I see threads pop up that mention miracles and say something to the effect of "how can you possibly believe that"? Well, as a Christian, I believe that God is an all-powerful God. He exists outside of science. Basically, He can do anything He wants to do. If you believe this, then you can believe any of the miraculous things that are written in the Bible. It is when you look at the Bible through the lenses of disbelief, that you can not see past the stories. You see it at face value and say that it can't be done. You're right...with our own human strength, it can't. But God doesn't operate like we do. He is so far beyond anything we can comprehend.

Last edited by dojilynn; 01-07-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
"The term conception does not mean the active or generative conception by her parents. Her body was formed in the womb of the mother, and the father had the usual share in its formation. The question does not concern the immaculateness of the generative activity of her parents. Neither does it concern the passive conception absolutely and simply (conceptio seminis carnis, inchoata), which, according to the order of nature, precedes the infusion of the rational soul. The person is truly conceived when the soul is created and infused into the body. Mary was preserved exempt from all stain of original sin at the first moment of her animation, and sanctifying grace was given to her before sin could have taken effect in her soul."

Catholic Encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality