Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It is not talking about children...It is talking about full grown adults who know right from wrong and still choose to do wrong...
Your'e on a roll, I don't need to add to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Your'e on a roll, I don't need to add to this.
Your two cents is always appreciated, Pruzh...

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It is not talking about children...It is talking about full grown adults who know right from wrong and still choose to do wrong...
If it is not talking about children, what is the point of specifying that relationship? Without that specific relationship you are just talking about ordinary members of the community.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why this ridiculous law becomes fine and jim-dandy when it applies to adult children. I'm still waiting to hear whether we should open up death camps for alcoholics and over-eaters since "drunkards" and "gluttons" were specifically mentioned (but not murderers and child molesters). I guess if your adult son has a drinking problem, just haul him down to the courthouse where "elders" will happily carry out a cruel and unusual execution - without a trial, I might add.

I'm still waiting.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever been presented with something in the Bible that I can not quickly explain or resolve in my head.

Deuteronomy 21:21

"Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel will hear of it and fear."

How are us Christians suppose to rationalize instructions to murder people / our children?
That verse was written to the Israelites living in the desert under the Mosaic Law. They had to be told basic stuff like how to raise their kids, and even where to go to the bathroom. This Law passed away with Jesus, who is the end of the Law (Romans 10).

This is not a Law that Christians were ever expected to obey.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That verse was written to the Israelites living in the desert under the Mosaic Law. They had to be told basic stuff like how to raise their kids, and even where to go to the bathroom. This Law passed away with Jesus, who is the end of the Law (Romans 10).

This is not a Law that Christians were ever expected to obey.
Does that mean you've chucked the 10 Commandments into the trash can along with Deuteronomy and Leviticus?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Does that mean you've chucked the 10 Commandments into the trash can along with Deuteronomy and Leviticus?
If you are asking if I think I need to keep the 10 Commandments to please God? No--we don't.

You do realize that there is a difference between commands given specifically to Israel, and the moral law given to all men, right?

https://carm.org/leviticus-homosexua...-testament-law

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
If you haven't yet, I urge you to read this site, Shirina. It will give you hours of free entertainment...if you keep an open mind and ignore the fact that the aptly-named Slick promotes an anti-LGBT agenda....it's wildly entertaining.

Keep your barf bag handy and you should be fine.

p.s. I'd pay money to watch you debate the aptly-named Slick.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you haven't yet, I urge you to read this site, Shirina. It will give you hours of free entertainment...if you keep an open mind and ignore the fact that the aptly-named Slick promotes an anti-LGBT agenda....it's wildly entertaining.

Keep your barf bag handy and you should be fine.
I encourage her, as well as you to read it.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You do realize that there is a difference between commands given specifically to Israel, and the moral law given to all men, right?
Yep I certainly know the difference. However, American Christianity has roots in Puritanism, one of the most fascistic types of religion anywhere to be found on the planet. Unfortunately, some of that nonsense has pervaded Christianity in this country - thus we have way too many folks who don't give a damn if the law was for Israel or not. They're going to follow as many laws in the Bible as they can regardless of which testament it's in. And, by God, they want everyone to follow those laws!

As for the whole issue regarding gays ... if our Constitutional protections were lifted for gays so that killing them is no longer a crime, would you kill them? Would you encourage others to kill them? Would you stand there with your hands in your pockets and do nothing? Would you speak out against wanton bloodshed in our streets?

I'm curious ...

I also found it rather odd that 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 uses the word "effeminate" rather than any reference to homosexuality. I just find this as one more subtle way in which the Bible is misogynistic (as well as promoting bigotry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality