Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yep I certainly know the difference. However, American Christianity has roots in Puritanism, one of the most fascistic types of religion anywhere to be found on the planet. Unfortunately, some of that nonsense has pervaded Christianity in this country - thus we have way too many folks who don't give a damn if the law was for Israel or not. They're going to follow as many laws in the Bible as they can regardless of which testament it's in. And, by God, they want everyone to follow those laws!
And that is not Christianity. Christianity does not tell us to enforce our religion by violence. Yes--there will be nut jobs that use Christianity as a scapegoat, but they are not caused by Christianity.
Quote:
As for the whole issue regarding gays ... if our Constitutional protections were lifted for gays so that killing them is no longer a crime, would you kill them? Would you encourage others to kill them? Would you stand there with your hands in your pockets and do nothing? Would you speak out against wanton bloodshed in our streets?

I'm curious ...
Of course not! I would not do violence to gay people, and I would speak out against it. What kind of a stupid question is that? Do you HONESTLY think it's about a personal hatred for gay people that we just want to kill gay people? I find that sad if you're that naive. You've apparently bought into some kind of terrible hype.

Quote:
I also found it rather odd that 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 uses the word "effeminate" rather than any reference to homosexuality. I just find this as one more subtle way in which the Bible is misogynistic (as well as promoting bigotry).
OK? The term is in reference to a person hoping to attract others to do homosexual acts to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Yes as Christians we keep the commandments, however we are all sinners and if we break one commandment, it is as if we broke them all. This is why we can't save ourselves and therefore need a Savior. If you say you are not a sinner you are a liar, it is in the bible.
There are tons of Jewish laws (613 ?) I believe that deals in dietary how certain animals are to be treated and prepared along with moral laws on how to deal with injustices.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I encourage her, as well as you to read it.
Oh...I've read it.

Dude's sitting on a little gold mine ....sit back and collect the dough from all the people anxious to send their hard-earned money to his "ministry". There's a sucker born every minute and the aptly-named Slick found himself a profitable niche: Calvinists who think he's 'all that' and love cutting and pasting his....ummm...thoughts.... so they can promote him. They probably feel giddy when they send him their monthly donation.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh...I've read it.

Dude's sitting on a little gold mine ....sit back and collect the dough from all the people anxious to send their hard-earned money to his "ministry". There's a sucker born every minute and the aptly-named Slick found himself a profitable niche: Calvinists who think he's 'all that' and love cutting and pasting his....ummm...thoughts.... so they can promote him. They probably feel giddy when they send him their monthly donation.
You should ask him for a copy of his ministry's financial statements. As a non-profit, I think it's a law that he has to be open with them. It's hardly making him rich. He drives a car with almost 300k on it because he can't afford a new one.

And for the record...no--I do not support him financially.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
He drives a car with almost 300k on it because he can't afford a new one.
As do millions of Americans. Many supplement their income when they need extra income. (It's called getting a second, or third, job.)

Doing that would allow Slick to junk the junker and get out among the people instead of just sitting at home behind his computer sharing his thoughts on homosexuality. Think how many people he could reach if he had a regular job and could look the heathens in the eye and say, "Hi! Welcome to Waffle House! May I take your order please?"

Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM

23,124 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever been presented with something in the Bible that I can not quickly explain or resolve in my head.

Deuteronomy 21:21

"Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel will hear of it and fear."

How are us Christians suppose to rationalize instructions to murder people / our children?

That law is righteous and deserving and that is exactly what the law is, '' JUSTICE.''

To take a disrespectful child out to kill him in the community is what a disrespectful child deserves, but this law is not in place to show punishment, but just the opposite. Above any other law, this law of stoning children is the greatest law in the Bible because all it does is show mercy, extreme mercy, and it teaches forgiveness to others.

How many mothers do you suppose had their children stoned? How many fathers kept the law in this?

They didn't keep the law, and Jesus actually mentions this.

The truth is the truth, every single child ever born is guilty of breaking this law, some children are just angels, but even the best of the best break that law, and that's why it teaches mercy to anyone whoever has a child, because they don't carry through with the punishment and so if they have to show mercy for their own child, it teaches them to show great mercy to others.

In many cases, the law just shows justice, what is deserving and each one of us are deserving death, each one of us are sinners worthy death and the law finds us guilty on many fronts, and by the time we are old, we have broken the law enough times, that we should have been stoned to death a thousand times.

Mercy and forgiveness is the point of that law.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
As do millions of Americans. Many supplement their income when they need extra income. (It's called getting a second, or third, job.)

Doing that would allow Slick to junk the junker and get out among the people instead of just sitting at home behind his computer sharing his thoughts on homosexuality. Think how many people he could reach if he had a regular job and could look the heathens in the eye and say, "Hi! Welcome to Waffle House! May I take your order please?"
Perhaps you ought to call him up on his radio show to tell him that. I double dog dare you.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM

23,124 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Perhaps you ought to call him up on his radio show to tell him that. I double dog dare you.

Dude's been double dogged and dared, I'll be watching milk duds.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:

"Hey, Matt. I hear you're driving a piece of junk around town. They're hiring at the Waffle House. Go for it."

That's a big deal? Do people not call the aptly-named Matt Slick and tell him to do something millions of Americans do? Is there something special about him?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
"Hey, Matt. I hear you're driving a piece of junk around town. They're hiring at the Waffle House. Go for it."

That's a big deal? Do people not call the aptly-named Matt Slick and tell him to do something millions of Americans do? Is there something special about him?
I'd just love to hear you accuse him of bilking money out of the gullible, as you suggest. I'd love to hear his response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality