Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times

Advertisements

Mental Gymnastics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
Some people say christian teachings are compatible with evolution.
But why is there nothing about evolution in the bible? The bible makes clear the
world was created in six days. There's nothing ambiguous about the origins of life according
to genesis. The world was created in 6 days, and a day mean means a day.
It doesn't mean a million years or a billion years.

The bible is not a science book. But how can a book that presumes to explain the origin of life
not say a word about something that is so critical and fundamental (evolution) to all life as we know it?
I'm not familiar with what Islam has to say about it but I'm sure there's probably a similar genesis story in the Koran
that is just as silly as the one in the Bible and Jewish Torah (which I think is just the OT).

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Some people say christian teachings are compatible with evolution.
But why is there nothing about evolution in the bible? The bible makes clear the
world was created in six days. There's nothing ambiguous about the origins of life according
to genesis. The world was created in 6 days, and a day mean means a day.
It doesn't mean a million years or a billion years.

The bible is not a science book. But how can a book that presumes to explain the origin of life
not say a word about something that is so critical and fundamental (evolution) to all life as we know it?

I'm not familiar with what Islam has to say about it but I'm sure there's probably a similar genesis story in the Koran
that is just as silly as the one in the Bible and Jewish Torah (which I think is just the OT).
It's not hard to understand at all if one considers the source: any and all things biblical were written hundreds-to-thousands of years ago.

Consider this:

People thousands of years ago did not know what people today know.

Let that sink in, if need be.

Take your time.

Thousands of years ago = people believed primitive things.

Can we all agree to that?

Ok - that was a firm "NO" from the Calvinists. They're over there, trying to get the fire going by rubbing sticks while shrugging off offers of Bics from the Atheists. Seems they figure the child-proof thingy is of the devil....

To be continued....

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's not hard to understand at all if one considers the source: any and all things biblical were written hundreds-to-thousands of years ago.

Consider this:

People thousands of years ago did not know what people today know.

The ancients didn't know anything about evolution and origins of life as we know it today.

But if god were real...and the ancient bible is the word of god,
then well they should have known. That's all I'm saying.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The ancients didn't know anything about evolution and origins of life as we know it today.

But if god were real...and the ancient bible is the word of god,
then well they should have known. That's all I'm saying.
Yeah.

"If."

Near as I can determine, the bible God has very little to do with reality.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The convenient parts are the parts to be taken literally.
Bingo.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Vizio, I'm sure you know that the bible writings are supposedly revealed by god to the authors. Now, if that is the case, would that god make a mistake as blatant as the source of light on the moon? Really?
The scriptures are not revealed, but inspired. There is a difference. God didn't just dictate scriptures -- he inspired men to write them. That's why we see personal styles of writing. That's why you can tell Paul's writing apart from Peter's simply by reading the style.
Quote:
If it truly is a revealed book by your god, then you'd think that god would at least ensure the basics are right. One would think.
Not if you understand that God didn't dictate, but inspired. It's a figure of speech. One easily realizes that the moon does not have it's own source of light any more than the sun literally sets behind the horizon.
Quote:
However, if that book and the writings in it are not revealed by a god, but the words of men, well, all of a sudden, maybe that book ain't that worthy of being held up as infallible.
You're getting closer....they are the words of man....as inspired by God. They are without error, but they are written with figures of speech and style common to the culture.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Good grief, you are really nitpicking the Bible here. Yes, I believe in a literal Bible, but not to the extent where every single word must be factually literal. Language has to taken into account here. I've never had a problem with this verse because it is simply distinguishing night from day. Moonlight is a lesser light then sunlight. There is no reason to go into detail about the specific sources of these lights especially since it would be hard for these ancient people to grasp. So the passage is written in a way that these ppl can understand the creation yet not lose meaning for modern day readers. That is the supernatural essence of the Holy Bible.

If you want to hold the Bible against science then study the Mosaic laws which taught the Israelites how to protect against infectious diseases thousands of years before science even understood bacteria.

The amazing non-literal flexibility of the literalist.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The amazing non-literal flexibility of the literalist.
Compared to the amazing unyielding, uninformed literal mind of an atheist who thinks he knows how to define what we believe?

Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,624 times
Well, what makes you think this isn't the 1,500,000th time world has been re-made, and were only 6,000 years in on this iteration, on a planet billions of years old now? That's kind of depressing to think about. I know I, and the angels existed before this world did so technically that makes me at least 6,000 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality