Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
So I can assume you concede on this topic? Since you have nothing else to say but jokes?
He is joking but the joke has a serious point. All religious claims are assertions without evidence. There is literally no difference between a divine hamster and Jehovah. You will doubtless talk about the hamster being the new kid on the block (no 2,000 year history) and having only one adherent. But how does the age of a belief or the popularity of it have the slightest bearing on its basis in reality? Not a whit.

Theists take great umbrage when we talk about invisible friends, sky wizards, etc., because they have a lot of ego invested in the reality of their invisible friends and sky wizards and a lot of camaraderie in the group reinforcement they experience via their friendly local church. And they have special names for these things that sound portentous rather than ridiculous. God sounds ever so much better than "invisible friend" for instance. None of this makes it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM

157 posts, read 101,661 times
they are the events that shall process. before it happens, i tell u. so you will not say my idol tells me or my image declared them. i am the lord. i will not give my praises to the idols. neithber my glories away. i am the lord,

Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymewo View Post
they are the events that shall process. before it happens, i tell u. so you will not say my idol tells me or my image declared them. i am the lord. i will not give my praises to the idols. neithber my glories away. i am the lord,
This remark belongs on a "Does Prophecy prove anything?" thread. We are not talking about prophecy, but about god's coyness.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM

so you really want to see God? bear in mind the wage of sin is death.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymewo View Post
Have you ever considered that they might be with God now?
In other words, the invisible essence of the children is now in an invisible place with your invisible friends. The original question was "Why does God never show himself?" Do you see how your response actually conforms to my response to the OP, which is that the reason God never shows Himself is because no such Being exists, and never did. Because make believe has no actual effect on the physical world,

Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM

675 posts, read 544,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He is joking but the joke has a serious point. All religious claims are assertions without evidence. There is literally no difference between a divine hamster and Jehovah. You will doubtless talk about the hamster being the new kid on the block (no 2,000 year history) and having only one adherent. But how does the age of a belief or the popularity of it have the slightest bearing on its basis in reality? Not a whit.

Theists take great umbrage when we talk about invisible friends, sky wizards, etc., because they have a lot of ego invested in the reality of their invisible friends and sky wizards and a lot of camaraderie in the group reinforcement they experience via their friendly local church. And they have special names for these things that sound portentous rather than ridiculous. God sounds ever so much better than "invisible friend" for instance. None of this makes it true.
As I pointed out there is evidence that supports some claims, events, and people in the Bible.

There is absolutely zero evidence supporting the notion of a Cosmic Hamster.

Apples to Oranges.

Atheists and Theists alike both are believing in something unknown or proven.

Theists - A Creator

Atheists - Something from nothing

Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 PM

i was discussing some prophecies on the last page, if you want to flip back to see that page.

also why are you so concer of the childern? is it not good i do to my own stuff? will thine eyes be evil because i am good

Last edited by sleepymewo; 01-29-2015 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: typoly

Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
As I pointed out there is evidence that supports some claims, events, and people in the Bible.

There is absolutely zero evidence supporting the notion of a Cosmic Hamster.

Apples to Oranges.

Atheists and Theists alike both are believing in something unknown or proven.

Theists - A Creator

Atheists - Something from nothing

The too often repeated, misunderstood comparison Christians keep hanging their hats on.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 AM

675 posts, read 544,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The too often repeated, misunderstood comparison Christians keep hanging their hats on.
Can you refute it?

ie

Show me proof that something comes from nothing?

and by proof I do not mean "theories"

Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Can you refute it?

ie

Show me proof that something comes from nothing?

and by proof I do not mean "theories"

The mistake you're making is that the theory is that something comes from "nothing", not in explaining how it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality