Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
That's a good answer.

What brought on my question was the post about who the "True" Christian would support politically.

A good leader, in my thinking, would be one that could understand that not everyone in the world follows the same religious teachings. I don't think he would have to even be a Christian to do that. In fact, being a Christian, and being outspoken about it, could actually hamper international discussions.
and in light of this ... a good leader is one who practices and believes in "Servant leadership". That would be a "true Christian leader", where the rubber meets the road. Who would not want that in a leader?

Jesus said; "I did not come to be served, but to serve".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I personally believe that politics is all about accumulating (political) power (or at least influence). I would never regard Jesus as someone seeking power or influence over another.
I see him more as a social activist (a man of action) than a politician (a man of knowledge).

Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 95,619 times
My question would be... can a leader really be unbiased in terms of religion? Better to chose one who has the same core values and belief system as you. If all voters chose based on the man who best simulates their own belief system we would be assured of a leader who will look out for the public's interest at heart.
Then again... taking a look at the candidates can be so confusing because the one who carries our religious belief may also be (in our opinion) offbase when it comes to foreign policy or health care or their way to balance the budget. The hardest part is picking the person who represents you in all well rounded aspects! This proves tough for me, how about you?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteCarolinaGirl View Post
My question would be... can a leader really be unbiased in terms of religion? Better to chose one who has the same core values and belief system as you. If all voters chose based on the man who best simulates their own belief system we would be assured of a leader who will look out for the public's interest at heart.
Then again... taking a look at the candidates can be so confusing because the one who carries our religious belief may also be (in our opinion) offbase when it comes to foreign policy or health care or their way to balance the budget. The hardest part is picking the person who represents you in all well rounded aspects! This proves tough for me, how about you?
For me... I do a matix in my head of what I must have, should have, would like to have, and don't care if they have.

Might look like (only an example) .... Right to life (must), conservative values (should), sound economic principles ( would like), color of his/her skin (don't care)

It works for me

Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Has anyone defined what a TRUE Christian is?
That is between each individual person and God. No one else can say for another what is "true" or right because they don't know what that person's life plan is, only god knows that. Energy focused OUTWARD on other people and their behavior is energy that is dissipated, wasted, lost. Energy that is focused INWARD on my own relationship with the Christ, with my Creator, on how I live my own life, is where I experience growth, progress, and spiritual evolution. No one can speak for another.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Has anyone defined what a TRUE Christian is?

Does a TRUE Christian baptise by immersion or will sprinkling, like the Methodist be all right?

I'm very much looking forward to the day when all of us Christians will define Christian the same!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 95,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm very much looking forward to the day when all of us Christians will define Christian the same!
I am afraid that will never happen because we all are so different. Thus anything that you or I see is viewed with a different perspective.

As for the question of emersion or sprinkle baptism... I think that it is not the act of water being used in either way but that you publicly proclaim HIM as your Lord and Saviour! So as long as your heart is where it should be the outer actions are merely a symbolism to our Spiritual growth.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
[quote=BrunetteCarolinaGirl;2469612]I am afraid that will never happen because we all are so different. Thus anything that you or I see is viewed with a different perspective.

never is a long time. as in forever. you sure?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 AM

91 posts, read 210,103 times
I believe it has more to do with how you live your life than whether you were sprinkled or dunked. Someone may pay lip service to Christianity but ignore the needs of others around them and care more about dressing in their 'Sunday best' for church but what about when Jesus accused people of seeing him hungry and naked and ignoring him? When they asked when had they ever done that his reply was when they have done it to other people they have done it to him. He also said that there will be many who cry out 'Lord, Lord' and he will say 'I never knew you.' I believe he will say that to the people who make a show of their church attendance and yet ignore the needs of their fellow men.

And this is nothing to do with denomination.

If I were looking at the religious perspective of a potential politician I would look at how his religion teaches him to respect the religions of others.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
It would be far easier if Christians accepted everyone as a Christian.
Like when Ghandi stated that he was also a Jew, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever else there is out there.
The thing is I highly doubt that the majority of Christianity would accept Ghandi as one of them since Ghandi is born a Hindu and practised it all his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality