Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 08:40 PM

615 posts, read 725,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Scholars for a long time have said that the Bible is full of discrepancies, contradictions; the Bible has books that claim to be written by people who didn't really write them; and the Bible shows that, in fact, some of the earliest teachings of Jesus aren't what become the standard doctrines of Christianity; that, in fact, doctrines like the divinity of Christ, the Trinity -- these were later formulations, that they weren't the original teachings."
Bart Ehrman - The Colbert Report - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 11:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
This was great, haha! I also like the elephant story at the end.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I could sum it up in one word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Sorry, couldn't watch it - something to do with my having a Ruler and a silly accent.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
This is a time when not having sound is a blessing

Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post

I know that this airing took place on Stephen Colbert's "Colbert Report" on the Comedy Central TV network and hence was meant to be comedy. Yet I was really interested in what Bart Ehrman had to say when I heard him speak and I wish he could have said it all (and alot more) without Stephen Colbert constantly interrupting him. Colbert was being quite annoying to me, though I understand it was meant to be in the spirit of comedy. I guess I will just read the referenced book by Bart Ehrman and look for any videos of him speaking on these matters.

I have heard of and read of him varied times in the past (he is an American university professor and leading scholar in his field, having written and edited over 25 books-- including three college textbooks to-date --and has also achieved acclaim at the popular level, authoring five New York Times bestsellers). On the web, it says that Ehrman's work especially focuses on textual criticism of the New Testament, the historical Jesus, and the development of early Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality