Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM

18,486 posts, read 9,139,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And they TEACH that to children!

It's abuse, plain and simple.
It absolutely is abuse. And yet it's totally legal. In the USA, it's protected by the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm truly sorry for your mother. My mother-in-law was a dear woman--very nice, devout in her faith. She had Alzheimers and Parkinson's. She suffered daily for several years before she died.

But truth be told? She needed a savior as much as anyone else. Every single one of us has sinned against God and we deserve the fires of hell. None of us deserve to be treated well.
Correct, we are all sinners, we need a Savior and that is in Jesus Christ, Who died on the cross for our sins. We can't save ourselves as our garments are like filthy rags. Whoever says they are without sin is a liar, there is none righteous, not one.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,143,199 times
It seems apparent to me that low self-image may well be a requirement to become a fundamentalist.

I've never seen a more self-loathing and humanity-loathing bunch.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,136,799 times
Quote:
Every single one of us has sinned against God and we deserve the fires of hell. None of us deserve to be treated well.
Romans 8:38-39

Someone obviously ripped that page out of your Bible. A free replacement is available from the Gideon Society. Here ya go:

Home

Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM

18,486 posts, read 9,139,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It seems apparent to me that low self-image may well be a requirement to become a fundamentalist.

I've never seen a more self-loathing and humanity-loathing bunch.
It's what they're taught to believe since birth. The doctrine of Original Sin has real psychological consequences.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM

350 posts, read 569,636 times
For those saying we aren't sinners or don't need salvation, why have you come to this conclusion? I'm curious why you feel this way, and also curious if you can back it up with some scripture? Not saying that in a rude way, just genuinely curious.

Also, if you don't believe we're hell-bound sinners in God's eyes before accepting salvation, what is your reasoning for Christ's death on the cross?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,143,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
For those saying we aren't sinners or don't need salvation, why have you come to this conclusion? I'm curious why you feel this way, and also curious if you can back it up with some scripture? Not saying that in a rude way, just genuinely curious.

Also, if you don't believe we're hell-bound sinners in God's eyes before accepting salvation, what is your reasoning for Christ's death on the cross?
Presumably you're directing your query to Christians only?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,512,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But it works well for power hungry religious leaders.

Bullying works. Fear is a powerful motivator.

I'm guessing so is flogging themselves..

Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,512,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post

Your being saved from what God created in the first place. Second, Jesus died for the sins of his father.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,314,326 times
Quote:
I'm truly sorry for your mother. My mother-in-law was a dear woman--very nice, devout in her faith. She had Alzheimers and Parkinson's. She suffered daily for several years before she died.

But truth be told? She needed a savior as much as anyone else. Every single one of us has sinned against God and we deserve the fires of hell. None of us deserve to be treated well.
Does that mean I can come over to your house and beat the living snot out of your wife while you stand there and watch ... because after all, she's a sinner and doesn't deserve to be treated well.

I'll even slap your kid on the way out.

Because if that's what you think you deserve, well ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality