Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Again the question is, why wouldn't a Christian tell others about the most amazing, wonderful, life-changing event in their entire lives? Not only does Jesus command us to do so, it is a natural thing to tell everyone when something amazing happens to you!
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:18-20)
Now some people are going to receive this gospel of Christ, this 'good news' and believe in Jesus and accept eternal life and others will mock, curse and reject this gospel. We are simply the sowers, spreading the seed of salvation to all people. In Matthew 13, Jesus teaches that sometimes the seed falls on rocky ground, and is not received, but that does not mean we should stop reaching out to people and following the example of Christ and love people enough to show them the truth of God's salvation.
Personally, I have no problem with someone telling me about something that changed their lives -- I've got my own story and its about how I was saved from the oppressive tenants of evangelical Christianity that left me depressed and bewildered.

But generally, when Christians evangelize, its by telling others that they are defective beings, under God's wrath, and need to believe certain things in order for God to accept them. Sure, if you convince people that a horrific fate awaits them and then provide them an easy escape, that is going to seem like a wonderful event to them.

The fact that evangelical Christianity needs to create a terror-inducing problem in order to sell a solution is what I have an issue with.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
I used to work night shift a billion years ago. I worked with two lovely women who read the bible every night. One night they told be I was going to hell because I wore pants to work.

It was the oddest thing, because they called me into the break room to tell me. They used the bible to assure me of this fact. For a moment I was stunned.

So, I pulled up my pant legs, and told them, god does not want me to show these babies too often. I had on bright stripped knee socks, but for them, I said, I would make an exception.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I would love to have a beer with Jesus the man. The man with dirt and dust on the hem of his garment. I want to know the man who scratched his privates, and passed gas.

I want to have a martini with the man sitting with his friends while they planned their next move.
I want to have a glass of milk with the group sitting in the room where they laughed and loved and ate.I want to sit with the women while they cooked, served,and planned the revolution. I want to learn their names. I find that group of people fascinating.

Imagine that group of friends who changed the world with their revolution, but the revolution evolved into worshiping the cross you were crucified on rather than what you tried to do for the poor. It evolved into large buildings, and silken robes and hats. Imagine your entire life reduced to a fashion statement.
Awesome.

For those of you who missed the Jesus Revolution of the 60's... here it is.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The fact that evangelical Christianity needs to create a terror-inducing problem in order to sell a solution is what I have an issue with.
How backwards can you possibly be? How can you have salvation without something you are being saved from? That's the entire crux of the gospel and ministry of Jesus! Jesus said in Mark 2:17, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Likewise, in Matthew 18:11 Jesus says, "For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost..."

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." (John 3:16-17)
We created the 'terror-inducing' problem by sinning against a Holy and Righteous God. The solution was given through love by God's son, Jesus and that is the good news that is spread to all people.

You really need to get into the Word of God, brother. It's all right there.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
How backwards can you possibly be? How can you have salvation without something you are being saved from? That's the entire crux of the gospel and ministry of Jesus! Jesus said in Mark 2:17, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Likewise, in Matthew 18:11 Jesus says, "For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost..."

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." (John 3:16-17)
We created the 'terror-inducing' problem by sinning against a Holy and Righteous God. The solution was given through love by God's son, Jesus and that is the good news that is spread to all people.

You really need to get into the Word of God, brother. It's all right there.
So you have to invent something to be saved from to make your message relevant. Have you thought of asking people what they feel their needs are? Only they can know that. If they haven't already been indoctrinated with the message that they should be afraid of God, you might find out what it really is that people need "saving" from. But, too often, it really is that message that holds people in bondage.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
So you have to invent something to be saved from to make your message relevant. Have you thought of asking people what they feel their needs are? Only they can know that. If they haven't already been indoctrinated with the message that they should be afraid of God, you might find out what it really is that people need "saving" from. But, too often, it really is that message that holds people in bondage.
Wow... Just... wow. You deny Christ even when His words are right there for you to read.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Wow... Just... wow. You deny Christ even when His words are right there for you to read.
I deny that eternal damnation is a real thing that people need to be saved from. Nothing in those words you quoted contradicts that.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I deny that eternal damnation is a real thing that people need to be saved from. Nothing in those words you quoted contradicts that.
You are so lost, brother. I pray that God will re-open your eyes to the truth.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:17 PM

Op, the exchange with JJMaxx should give you some insight into your question. JJ is determined to convince me that God is angry with me and that I am in danger of eternal torture. I even gave JJ the way in which to approach me -- ask me what I feel my needs are and then show me how Christianity addresses those needs. But JJ ignores that and continues to insist I am "backwards" and "so lost". Like so many Christians, JJ talks AT me rather than WITH me.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Go pleroo go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality