Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 02:59 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We are talking about the topic "What is an appropriate way for Christians to approach you?".....right?
Did you not read my suggestion? Maybe you ought to just tell me, or whomever approaches you that you're just not interested.
You seem to be suggesting that someone that dares to approach you to suggest something you disagree with is a traumatic experience. I'm sorry if I misunderstand you. I personally don't have an issue with telling someone that I just don't care to discuss a topic. I don't get what your problem with doing the same thing is.
I recommend you read the topic yourself. Where am I not clear? I will be glad to offer clarity. You talk to strangers about one thing and this thing is more important than the strangers need for privacy.

You ask about my answering political phone calls, and asked if I cower. How is telling you I do not cower in so many words not resonate as the answer?

I have some experience with trauma. I do not like being approached by strangers, to talk with me about their agenda. I will never just say, I am not interested. I will tell you why I am not interested. I will tell you about your God. By the time we have finished our conversation YOU will be trying to get away. You will not be able to get away. I will follow you , because I have every expectation you have not understood the importance of what I am saying. You will not get away from me in a street encounter.

I do not like someone pushing something into my hand on the sidewalk, because they have three hundred tracts to get rid of that day. It is rude and disrespectful.
Thousands of dollars in advertizing, the sidewalk littered for a city block, and there is a homeless man sitting at the corner with an empty cup. That was a chat worthy of of an audience. By the time it was done that homeless man was taken care of.
Unconscionable and out of touch with Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:27 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
So tell them that. Don't be so fragile.
How does not wanting a proselytizer to approach me being fragile? You obviously don't know me very well because I will most certainly tell an individual who wants to try and convert me to **** off. You just have to say something negative all the time don't you? Always wanting to pick a fight. You do more harm to your religion than you even know.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
So tell them that. Don't be so fragile.
You just chided someone for being fragile. Is that how you demonstrate your faith?

I think these people ,stopping strangers count that there will be a percentage of people easily trapped into listening. Those are the people they count on to have lives of .. cowering.
I fall into the Others.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 02-12-2015 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: adding.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Okay, I know, I know, you don't want Christians telling you anything about what they believe, but is that realistic? Are you telling me that you have never approached a Christian and told them why you disagree with their views? Isn't this essentially you sharing your beliefs? So is that an appropriate way to approach you? What boundaries would you set? Have you ever has a case where a Christian appropriately approached you Even though you rejected the message?
yes, a lot. reasonable people have rational conversations. Irrational people tend to have some friction if you don't think like them

Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't think you understood my question. I was clarifying, that I am not talking about proselytizing, I am just talking about general discussion. The poster talked about boundaries when discussing anything religious, yet she comes and post on the religious section of this website quite frequently, so I wanted to know what the difference is for her. What you are discussing has nothing to do with my question.
Same principle applies. There is nothing at all inconsistent about not wanting to have anyone discuss religion unsolicited, and discussing it voluntarily when you choose to.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think these people ,stopping strangers count that there will be a percentage of people easily trapped into listening. Those are the people they count on to have lives of .. cowering.

I fall into the Others.
I've done what you're referring to. I've gone out to talk to strangers on the street. As a matter of fact, I went door-knocking this past weekend. And no--I was not hoping to catch someone that was "easily trapped into listening". I was hoping to find someone that WANTED to talk. One man that didn't want to? I left. No harassment. That's all he had to do was say "Don't want to talk".

So again....I don't get it. What's the problem? Are you that fragile that you can't simply say you are unwilling to talk?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
How does not wanting a proselytizer to approach me being fragile? You obviously don't know me very well because I will most certainly tell an individual who wants to try and convert me to **** off. You just have to say something negative all the time don't you? Always wanting to pick a fight. You do more harm to your religion than you even know.
Have you read any of my posts? All you need to do is say "not interested". That's it. I've never suggested anything less.

I still don't see the issue.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
...snip...

So again....I don't get it. What's the problem? Are you that fragile that you can't simply say you are unwilling to talk?
Are you that thick that you can't understand most people don't want to be bothered by people selling something?

If they want what you're selling, they can find a church. There's still a few around.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've done what you're referring to. I've gone out to talk to strangers on the street. As a matter of fact, I went door-knocking this past weekend. And no--I was not hoping to catch someone that was "easily trapped into listening". I was hoping to find someone that WANTED to talk. One man that didn't want to? I left. No harassment. That's all he had to do was say "Don't want to talk".

You only want to talk about ONE thing having nothing to do with the person trapped into listening even out of politeness.

Are you more important? Not getting it arrogance.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 02-12-2015 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 02-13-2015, 06:08 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Yet....I honestly believe that what I have is better than anything on earth. And you get all bent out of shape over the idea that I'd care enough to dare to approach you with it. I'm not suggesting I'd hound you, or chase you down, or continue to harass you when you have made it clear that you don't want to discuss it.

You are so fragile that you can't handle someone caring enough to share something that is important to them.

Wow.
Somehow not wanting to be on the receiving end of a bad infomercial has turned into being fragile. Interesting. I guess the mind does amazing things when trying to rationalize why one's bad behavior is actually everyone else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality