Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times

Advertisements

Matthew 5:17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
The law, being fulfilled, is no longer an outward law but inward. We don't need to memorize the rituals, just follow the Holy Spirit. This was foretold in Jeremiah:
Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
We no longer have to worry about not eating shrimp.. but the Lord leads us to "eat" good things such as reading the Bible, staying away from things that would cause us spiritual harm. It's a heart matter. In many ways the new law came alot closer than the old one. Under the old law, committing adultery was a sin. Under the new law, Jesus says that even a lustful look is sin.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by mams1559
Quote:
Jesus did go against concensus but never against the scriptures. He quoted the scriptures as the basis for his teachings. Jesus honored the scriptures. Jesus confirmed the authority of the scriptures. Christian concensus is not equal to the authority of God's word (scripture).
If you believe that Jesus is God, how can Jesus go against his own authority?
I only know for sure that God before Jesus is a totally different God after Jesus. The pre-Jesus God was all smite this and that, and conquer this heathen land or kingdom and that, while all that smiting disappeared after Jesus.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If you believe that Jesus is God, how can Jesus go against his own authority?
I only know for sure that God before Jesus is a totally different God after Jesus. The pre-Jesus God was all smite this and that, and conquer this heathen land or kingdom and that, while all that smiting disappeared after Jesus.
God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. God/Jesus of the OT is the same God/Jesus as in the NT.

Christian concensus does not equal scriptural authority. The concensus is man's idea of what the scriptures mean and man's idea of scripture can change or be out of focus.

God/Jesus of the NT did not go against the authority of the scriptures spoken by God/Jesus yet written by man as pertains the OT. Jesus was always in accord with the OT scriptures and based his teachings from the OT scriptures. He didn't contradict himself at all.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Here's where we have a problem. As you do not accept the God of the Bible, or Jesus for who he truly is as revealed by God's word, then of course you call God a liar or believe it's possible for God to make a mistake. For me as a Christian, Almighty God is perfect and perfect means not making mistakes. God is truth and therefore cannot lie. Christians of course question God, even doubt God. Some Christians have actually said or thought that yes, maybe God did make a mistake. That's normal. But calling God a liar or remaining of the mindset that God makes mistakes is IMO inconsistent with Christian truths. We may not understand some things, but that by no means indicates God lied or made a mistake. In truth, God can do neither.
God doesn't make mistakes? He doesn't lie? He's perfect? See below please.

Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

Genesis 6:6,7 "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth . . . And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . for it repenteth me that I have made him."

Jonah 3:10 ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

Ezekiel 20:25,26 "I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the Lord."

Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
God doesn't make mistakes? He doesn't lie? He's perfect? See below please.

Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

Genesis 6:6,7 "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth . . . And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . for it repenteth me that I have made him."

Jonah 3:10 ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

Ezekiel 20:25,26 "I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the Lord."
I take that not as God made a mistake, but how it grieved God that man couldnt be good.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by mams1559
Quote:
God/Jesus of the NT did not go against the authority of the scriptures spoken by God/Jesus yet written by man as pertains the OT. Jesus was always in accord with the OT scriptures and based his teachings from the OT scriptures. He didn't contradict himself at all.
True, but the NT God still stopped smiting the enemies of the Jews.
In my opinion this could be regarded as a (radical) change.
It is as if God suddenly became a pacifist (like Jesus).

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I take that not as God made a mistake, but how it grieved God that man couldnt be good.
Handy justification. Besides, if god is omniscient, he would have known that man couldn't be good and wouldn't have had to "repent" for the things he said.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by mams1559True, but the NT God still stopped smiting the enemies of the Jews.
In my opinion this could be regarded as a (radical) change.
It is as if God suddenly became a pacifist (like Jesus).
God didn't change. He never has, never will. But, the way we relate to Him changed.

For example, in the Old Testament, the Jews were God's people. They fought their enemies.

In the New Testament, everyone who accepts Jesus is God's child, which was His plan from the very beginning. We also fight our enemies, altho they are spiritual.

The evil forces are the same, God's love for His people is the same, it's just a different arena... the battle is inward.

God still hates shrimp, it's just that shrimp is something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Great point, arguy!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Handy justification. Besides, if god is omniscient, he would have known that man couldn't be good and wouldn't have had to "repent" for the things he said.
Repent means to change your mind about something. To think of something in a different way.

When I repent of a sin, I stop accepting the sin in my life. My mind has changed on how I look at that sin.

At least by acknowledging what you perceive as God's faults you are by default also acknowledging His existence.

That's a start!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
actually..he did know man couldnt be good, if one would look back into the OT, one would find that Gods plan of salvation was already in place. One can see that thru the
prophecy of Jesus in the OT..this is just one verse, there are many more.
Isa:9:6: "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality