Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times

Advertisements

God doesn't hate shrimp! It was a dietary law- shrimp & lobster as such are the scavengers of the ocean.
Like fish, for those who eat a lot of it in their diet need to periodically get checked for mecury poisoning.
I believe God was protecting against illnesses. Like pigs carry a parasite if not cooked properly we can get it. They didn't have the ways we do today to preserve food, like refrigeration and so forth.
I don't know what these individuals are trying to do or say, but God spoke through Paul about eating in the scripture.
The scriptures says in,
1 Corinthians 10:25; Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience sake; for "the earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness."
The conscience sake is that some meat in that time was sacrifice for idol worship. And Paul knew it would bother the christian conscience, because they thought if they ate it they would be partaking in that worship.
In 1 Corinthians 10 it continues to explain more.
1 Corinthians 10:31-33, Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

SOOOO, I believe its ok to eat Shrimp! Amen!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If God hates shrimps why did he create them in the first place and make them so darn tasty ?
Great point, Mooseketeer!

This is in my bible....it's in red too....and underlined....I think that means 'pay special attention'...anyway...it does mean it's important...

"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' Mark 7:18-20

Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Great point, Mooseketeer!

This is in my bible....it's in red too....and underlined....I think that means 'pay special attention'...anyway...it does mean it's important...

"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

I just realized there's a bit of a joke hidden in Mark 7:18. You can think about it two ways..what comes out of the body(as in defication) or the sin that comes out of the body. Ha Ha..funny..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:

True, but the way I've always interpreted this is that it doesn't matter what you eat, but it does matter what you say (or do) since you will be judged by every word you've said.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
True, but the way I've always interpreted this is that it doesn't matter what you eat, but it does matter what you say (or do) since you will be judged by every word you've said.
Exactly.

Your interpretation is accurate.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 PM

364 posts, read 765,927 times
Thw law is divide 3 ways.

moral laws

culture laws

ceremony laws I think I spell that right.

culture laws are like do not shave your hair etc.... but we not under culture laws.

ceremony laws are do not eat anything not kosher etc.... but jesus made all food clean.

we are called to keep ALl of the moral laws. loving God with all your strength. love people as you love ya self.

etc.....

Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
In the Old testament there were (are) three types of laws..ceremonial,civil, and moral law. Cereminoial law had to do with how to approach God, the temple etc.
Civil Law-These laws covered the specific laws for the nation of Israel. They are about taxes, charging interest, punishing sin. The civil law has been fulfilled by Christ, we are no longer bound by them. Moral law-theres where the ten commandments fall in, these laws trancend both the ceremonial and the civil laws, Jesus did fulfill them, just as he did the first two, but they are a reflection of Gods moral character, and that doesnt change.
So what your saying is you don't take the bible literally and you pick and choose which parts you pay attention to.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So what your saying is you don't take the bible literally and you pick and choose which parts you pay attention to.

No we you were to read the NT what part of the law Jesus always quotes in all that leads to everalsting life?

The moral laws.

we are to keep all of them.

jesus made it clear he clean all food we are not bound by culture laws on what to wear shave etc.....

Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Romans 7:6 (Amplified Bible)

Amplified Bible (AMP) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

6But now we are discharged from the Law and have terminated all intercourse with it, having died to what once restrained and held us captive. So now we serve not under [obedience to] the old code of written regulations, but [under obedience to the promptings] of the Spirit in newness [of life].

I believe this is speaking of cultureand ceremony laws but Jesus made it clear in his teachings the moral laws are what we need to keep.

if we really love God we will keep them.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
nope..not what I was saying at all, I would try and explain it (again), but I would get the same response, and btw I do take the Bible literally, I just know that the OT law was carried out before Christ death on the cross, which I have tried to explain, I forget how many times here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality