Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:16 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Absolutely, and it has happened before. During the French Revolution a group called "The Cult of Reason" burned down churches and killed thousands to create a "godless society."

Not to mention that prick in North Carolina who killed two innocent Muslims, or that Discover Channel shooting guy.

But I love how atheists come out and say "that wasn't real atheism!" and yet snort when a Muslim says that ISIS "isn't real Islam" or a Christian says "Focus on the Family isn't really Christian."
Who is saying that the NC shooter was not a real atheist? As far as everyone knows, he probably was atheist.

Nobody is defending the NC shooter's actions.

The sad fact is, there are people with violent tendencies in all walks of life. As far as I know, there is no evidence that atheists are more likely to commit violent crimes than any other group. If there is evidence for that, please link to a scientific study.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Good one mate. Redefine radical to fit what you need to pin the label onto atheists, never mind that you thereby define anyone who puts their points forcefully as a radical. You may as well claim that sheer amount of effort we put in countering the religious claims makes us a religion...

Well speak of the devil..

Laugh, call it 'ridiculous' and play the 'sweet reason' card, overlooking that the earth going round the sun is not the 'radical' view, it is the right one, and the reasonable tolerant view that both the earth and the sun half -revolve about each other is 'ridiculous'.

You argue brilliantly old son, and that is why, even through your argument are the veriest claptrap, I am obliged to show how full of clap they are, and risk it making me look 'radical'.
I have always liked our exchanges AREQ. You definitely qualify as a "Fundie"...you can't be putting up over SEVENTEEN THOUSAND posts and not get that label hung on you. BUT...you are not a "radical"...you don't have a harsh enough demeanor for that. It gets toward it sometimes...but it more than keeps enough distance from that level of force. Must be that "Old English Gentleman" thing. But then...this is all just my opinion.
It's funny...as I read your posts...it is automatic that I mentally put an English accent to them.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That would be a very good point however, no stamp collector that I know is interested in trying to get stamp collecting meeting houses nontaxable or wanting stamp collecting taught in schools or finagling to get stamps imprinted on our coinage or given homage to before dinner gatherings, nor any laws made that effect even non-stamp collectors, etc, etc, etc.
Stamp collectors are pretty much an unnoticed group that keep to themselves except amongst other stamp collectors.
Everybody would like things to be the way they would prefer them to be. Of course, the religious fall into that "everybody" group.
It's just that their numbers are so prolific they tend to dominate the scene and are able to pull it off better...but then, that would figure.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I have always liked our exchanges AREQ. You definitely qualify as a "Fundie"...you can't be putting up over SEVENTEEN THOUSAND posts and not get that label hung on you. BUT...you are not a "radical"...you don't have a harsh enough demeanor for that. It gets toward it sometimes...but it more than keeps enough distance from that level of force. Must be that "Old English Gentleman" thing. But then...this is all just my opinion.
It's funny...as I read your posts...it is automatic that I mentally put an English accent to them.
I don't see how Arequipa is a "fundie." He doesn't base his beliefs on a literal reading of a holy text. At least as far as I know.

By the way, Arequipa doesn't have an accent..he is just pronouncing words correctly. We yanks are the one with the accent.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:55 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Absolutely, and it has happened before. During the French Revolution a group called "The Cult of Reason" burned down churches and killed thousands to create a "godless society."

Not to mention that prick in North Carolina who killed two innocent Muslims, or that Discover Channel shooting guy.

But I love how atheists come out and say "that wasn't real atheism!" and yet snort when a Muslim says that ISIS "isn't real Islam" or a Christian says "Focus on the Family isn't really Christian."
Believers always get tripped up over the fact that there is no philosophy or dogma of atheism. In other words, atheism didn't command non-believers to join the Cult of Reason and burn churches. Nor did it tell that prick in North Carolina to shoot Muslims. These people did what they did all on their own.

Which simply isn't the same as some religious atrocities. The verse that says thou shalt not suffer a witch to live has killed more women than breast cancer - and that was because their religion TOLD them to kill witches. Would all of those women have been put to death without a command from the Bible? The answer is most likely no.

And that is the BIG difference between atheism and religion when it comes to who committed what atrocity.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:47 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I wish I could say I liked them, old sossidge, It isn't personal but countering your arguments is a chore that has to be done docherknow, like scrubbing griff -graff.(1) off the walls. It doesn't get us anywhere forrader, that I can see.

If "Fundie" is a Gldnruledef meaning 'a devotee to the cause', then I think that is fair comment. (You see, all you need to do is say that is what YOU mean, not claim it apparently as a one - size - fits - all definition) As t' Arqsent, Oi be still a-wurrkin' apahrn it.

(1) Griff-graff - Graffiti done by riff-raff, fit only for power -sraying into oblivion, as distinct from Grahf-itie, to be chizelled out of the wall and sold for a million dollars in New York.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
This thread should never have been started. I apologize to all of you for not closing it earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality