Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times

Advertisements

They ate from the tree of life in the middle of the garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the middle of the garden.

And the woman said unto the serpent, `Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we do eat,
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, Elohim has said,
"Ye shall eat of it not; ye shall die"

And the serpent said unto the woman,
"Ye shall eat of it; not ye shall die"
For God does know that in the day you eat thereof your eyes shall be opened,
and you shall (develop technology making you) be like Elohim.

Knowing good and evil, the woman saw that the tree was good for food,
and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise
she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat.
They ate from it because it was forbidden
Quote:
Knowing good and evil = all or nothing thinking

all or nothing thinking leads to craving things simply because they are forbidden.

craving things simply because they are forbidden leads to very bad decisions.

bad decisions get people killed.

after Adam was resurrected God warned him not to partake of the knowledge of good and evil again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Tree of life = civilization

eating from it is the right thing to do unless you are uncivilized. In that case it could very well lead to your death.

All or Nothing thinking is uncivilized

Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,732,542 times
Quote:
They ate from the tree of life in the middle of the garden
Oh, is that your main point? "Tree of life" not "tree of knowledge"?

Quote:
They ate from it because it was forbidden
Here I simply have to disagree. Eve ate because the fruit seemed pleasant to eat; she did not eat it just to be cantankerous, so far as I can see. I don't eat cake to be naughty (even if I perceive myself as being naughty when I eat it). I eat it because it because I expect it to taste yummy.

Oh...I see we posted at the same time. Now I gotta look back to get this:
Quote:
Knowing good and evil = all or nothing thinking

all or nothing thinking leads to craving things simply because they are forbidden.
I don't see the logic in either of these sentences:

Why do you think that knowing good and evil = all or nothing thinking? (Personally, I think in terms of a spectrum.)
Why do you think that all or nothing thinking leads to craving forbidden things?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:49 AM

dont overlook post 22

good and evil = all or nothing = heaven or hell

right and wrong = spectrum

Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 PM

craving forbidden things is normal.

declaring something to be evil is forbidding it.

When you think in terms of right and wrong nothing is forbidden but somethings are not profitable

"All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
of course, it does change the meaning of the phrase. I'm not a Bible scholar, but I assume this has been a debate amongst scholars.
Why would it be a matter of debate? The changed meaning makes no sense either logically or within the context of the story. How could she "know good from evil" before eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? The whole point remains the loss of innocence or what happens when you become aware of the conflict between what you want and what is good for a social group as a whole.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 PM

it never says she ate from the tree knowing good and evil. It says she ate from the tree in the middle of the garden that was pleasant to the eyes and good for food.

Quote:
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the middle of the garden.

And the woman said unto the serpent, `Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we do eat,
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, Elohim has said,
"Ye shall eat of it not; ye shall die"

And the serpent said unto the woman,
"Ye shall eat of it; not ye shall die"
For God does know that in the day you eat thereof your eyes shall be opened,
and you shall (develop technology making you) be like Elohim.

Knowing good and evil, the woman saw that the tree was good for food,
and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise,
she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 AM

Maybe "Good and evil" is the name of the serpent

Last edited by granpa; 02-19-2015 at 04:24 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 05:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
it never says she ate from the tree knowing good and evil. It says she ate from the tree in the middle of the garden that was pleasant to the eyes and good for food.
Genesis 2:"…16The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 AM

That was after Adam was resurrected which was long after he was kicked out of the garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality