Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 11:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This unconditional love nonsense is what has gotten mankind into so much moral trouble. All love should be based on objective value. It should not be given freely, or lightly.

Love needs to be earned and based on virtue and judgement. Unconditional love is an evil and depraved concept. Think about it. To think about it is to discard it.

This is from the Bible:

Can a sentiment be more evil or more depraved?
So loving people is evil and depraved, but mocking and insulting Christians is good? Sounds like something right from Satan's playbook.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yesterday, a guy came to my door and tried to sell me an invisible vacuum cleaner. He said he had 10 proofs that the invisible vacuum cleaner was real. When I asked for the proofs, he told me that I needed to first prove that he didn't have an invisible vacuum cleaner. Then he told me that I needed to demonstrate an open mind to accept and fairly examine the evidence for the invisible vacuum cleaner. I told him that I wanted to see the proofs...if I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't have asked for the proofs...I would have just ignored him and told him to leave.

Jeff, please show us your 100 proofs for Christianity. Why is that so difficult? I have asked you several times now.
I explained perfectly why I won't play that game. Because it is a game. You have no desire for evidence. You just want me to play my cards so you can enjoy shooting it down, and feel better about your position.

PS - Goading me doesn't work.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I explained perfectly why I won't play that game. Because it is a game. You have no desire for evidence. You just want me to play my cards so you can enjoy shooting it down, and feel better about your position.

You have yet to provide any evidence.

<crickets>

Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
So loving people is evil and depraved, but mocking and insulting Christians is good? Sounds like something right from Satan's playbook.
Sloppy straw man.

Loving your enemy is depraved. Unconditional love is depraved. Loving people who display virtue and are judged worthy is rational and good.

The key is judgment. Judgment is moral, rational, and good. Failure to judge is the problem we face.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 03-04-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
No, love in the atheist world is nothing more than a chemical reaction in the brain. Same effect someone might get when eating chocolate. Sorry if I don't take the atheist's concept of love at face value.

When you really microscope atheism, it becomes clear how atheism doesn't work with reality.
Forget atheism or religion. Stick to the logic. Unconditional love is an impossible perversion of the value of love.

The moral teachings you have accepted are completely backwards. It matters not whether they came from religion or secular philosophy. They are just bad and just wrong.

They emphasize NOT USING judgment and critical evaluation. They advocate bestowing the most important value, love, without utilizing REASON.

It's the teachings that are wrong. I don't care about the cosmic nonsense or the mysticism. I am concerned about the application of bad morality to the real world.

ISIS comes from this "do not judge, love your enemy" crap.

We need more judgment and less love!

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 03-04-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:

Real evidence is hard for anyone to refute. Real evidence can hold up under public scrutiny.

If I have no desire to see evidence, then why do I keep asking you for it?

You claimed to have 100 irrefutable proofs for the claims of Christianity. When you make such bold claims in public, you should not be surprised when people expect you to back up your claims.

I will ask you again: where are your 100 proofs for Christianity? If you have them, you should be itching to share them with the world and thus put an end to atheism and all non-Christian religion.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have no idea. I'm not an atheist and I can't say I've ever discussed that topic with an atheist.

But thanks again for that awesome post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For the umpteenth time: I'm not an atheist.

Not that there's anything wrong....
YES YOU ARE. You're both atheists. Jeff said so, and he has quotes that PROVE it.

Plus he has a badge that shows he was speshully appoynted to decide who is an atheist or a Christian or a whatever.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
1. I was an only child. Growing up, I was shy and didn't have a lot of friends. At one point in my life, I had a doll I named Sam. Sam and I had a ton of adventures together, exploring the back yard, staying up having conversations, among other things. To me, he was my best friend and I knew everything about him and he knew everything about me.

To everyone else, he was just a doll and an imaginary friend. That didn't make Sam any less real to the 3 year old me though.

Here's a quote I and find true: "The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next" --Ralph Waldo Emerson

When being objective, there are a number of similarities between the Bible and religions that predate Judaism, of which those religions have been "proven" to be mythical. Due to technology and communication that happened during the 19th century, I seriously doubt another religion will "overtake" us all. Civilizations 1000 years ago were smaller and more centrally located. Conquering and converting a few thousand people is a lot easier than converting millions of people as it is today.

2. I was born and raised a Presbyterian. My faith started leaving me when I was in high school. I participated in our youth mission trips each year to essentially work on Habitat for Humanity projects. Early on, I saw them as God working through people. But by senior year, I saw it differently. No one (God) was "telling" me to do anything. I *wanted* to help others. I *enjoyed* seeing the faces on the people we were helping; families who, that year, had lost their homes due to Hurricane Katrina. It was people doing the work and people's money paying for supplies. The "church" was more of an umbrella that brought the people together.

The whole idea of a "God" in the sky never made full sense to me. I began to realize that it wasn't "God" helping people, but it was people helping people.

I'm not saying religion is bad. One of my closest friends is extremely religious and spends 10 minutes each morning after waking up to pray and 10 minutes before bed to pray. It gives him time to reflect and in a way meditate and prepare himself for the day. Churches can bring people together in times of struggle and often help the less fortunate. These are all positive things.

I believe in the good that the Church does. I just can't make reason with the actual religion. If Jesus was real, I see him as a human, very similar to Martin Luther King Jr. Giving people hope and reason and the ability to rise up against unforeseen circumstances. Giving them confidence to be the people they always were.

If God/Jesus make you feel stronger than you would without, then more power to you! When I was a child, I needed my friend Sam to get through the day. Eventually though, I made friends in school and realized that I had the power within me the entire time to do positive. No Sam required
Wonderful witness!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:14 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Forget atheism or religion. Stick to the logic. Unconditional love is an impossible perversion of the value of love.

The moral teachings you have accepted are completely backwards. It matters not whether they came from religion or secular philosophy. They are just bad and just wrong.

They emphasize NOT USING judgement and critical evaluation. They advocate bestowing the most important value, love, without utilizing REASON.

It's the teachings that are wrong. I don't care about the cosmic nonsense or the mysticism. I am concerned about the application of bad morality to the real world.

ISIS comes from this "do not judge, love your enemy" crap.

We need more judgement and less love!

My judgment is that you are misspelling judgment. Unless you are British, which I know you are not, because you live in New Jersey, same as I do!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My judgment is that you are misspelling judgment. Unless you are British, which I know you are not, because you live in New Jersey, same as I do!
Bloody right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality