Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Wow, you are incredibly clueless about Christianity.
Wow, you are incredibly clueless about religion.

Quote:
It sounds like you never set foot in a church.
It sounds like you never set foot in a school.

Quote:
Churches are at the forefront of providing for the needs of communities, and they often fund and sponsor mission work in countries throughout the world carrying for their physical needs.
Churches do good stuff. Mine especially. And synagogues do good work too. And social service non-profits do good work. And so on.

Good works don't rationalize treating your chosen myth as fact or asserting that your church's scope with regard to impact outside the church goes any further than the caring for the physical needs of others it does. Remember, you're trying to parlay your churchiness into some kind of standing to say something about reality. That's simply not the case, and surely not supported because your church, like mine, does good work.

Quote:
Christian doctors and dentists often spend their vacations providing free care in such countries.
Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Taoist, Buddhist, Unitarian, atheist, agnostic, animist, and pagan doctors and dentists do too, but that's too nuanced a thought for you to fit in with your self-promoting deflection.

Quote:
The difference is we don't brag about it
You just did.

Incidentally, your whole message was ridiculous, since it was predicated on your careless assumption that I wrote the message I provided you a link to. I didn't. I didn't say anything other than that I found something for you. But that's just part and parcel of the random, frustration-fueled recklessness of the replies you've posted.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I mentioned Mickiel before. He DID try to tell us all his 100 proofs. Maybe that's where jeff got them from. Maybe it's a reincarnation!!
If you want proofs, get a gander at these.
Here is just a sample. ......Post #56 of this thread
The 100 proofs of God.

The Complexity of RNA and DNA are proof of God. The human Genome is obvious proof of God. All the exquisite information they contain was created, they couldnot have created themselves.

Biogenesis is absolute proof of God.

The Cambrian Explosion is a Proof of God.

Heat Death is proof of God.

Cross breeding and Mutation are proof of God.

The Laws of Conservation are proof of God.

The Earths Rotation is proof of God.

The Moon Receding is proof of God.

Saturn cooling off is proof of God.

And I will go into each of these a bit later, I want to get to 50 first, then go into specifics.
"

Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I mentioned Mickiel before. He DID try to tell us all his 100 proofs. Maybe that's where jeff got them from. Maybe it's a reincarnation!!
The 100 proofs of God.

The Complexity of RNA and DNA are proof of God. The human Genome is obvious proof of God. All the exquisite information they contain was created, they couldnot have created themselves.

And I will go into each of these a bit later, I want to get to 50 first, then go into specifics.
"

Ok, then to follow up with these:

Quote:
Love is absolute proof of God.

Joy is proof of God.

Peace is proof of God.

Self control is proof of God.

Happiness is proof of God.

Goodness is proof of God.

Gentleness is proof of God.

Patience is proof of God.

Power is proof of God.

Time is proof of God.

Biblical Archaeology is proof of God.
Really? Emotions are proof of God?

Time is proof of god? Time is a man made construct. We fortunately can use it to help date the universe we are all a part of, and that's pretty cool.

Biblical Archaeology is a neat topic, and it certainly can help endorse some things, personally, I am fascinated by it, but I wouldn't go as far to say it is a proof of God.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Excellent excellent post!
+42

Old 03-04-2015, 03:05 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Time is proof of good? Time is a man made construct.
So is God.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
The 100 proofs of God.

"
That is going to be an interesting discussion. My initial reaction is that the physical occurrences are adequately explainable without a god (give or take first cause, which still a god gap for God) and emotions are evidence for evolution, not proof of God. You won't accept that of course, but that is surely going to be our response.

P.s would this be anything to do with Dennis Marcellino's new book proving God? The reviews make it clear that he does not understand his subject matter.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
The 100 proofs of God.

"
After reading more, it's clear that, that poster is off their rocker. Banned for good reason, I imagine.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Wow, you are incredibly clueless about religion.

It sounds like you never set foot in a school.

Down to insults now? So typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Incidentally, your whole message was ridiculous, since it was predicated on your careless assumption that I wrote the message I provided you a link to. I didn't. I didn't say anything other than that I found something for you. But that's just part and parcel of the random, frustration-fueled recklessness of the replies you've posted.
No your demonetization of Christians is ridiculous. It's kinda a given that when you provide a link, you agree with the content of the article. With that said, it's probably time for me to take a break and bow out here. When the responses come down to flat out insults and trap questions, it's not worth my time or aggravation.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
And yet you rip on God for judging and punishing wicked men in the OT. Now judgement is a good thing? AT least the morality with Christianity is consistent. Secularism just makes up the rules as they go along. I shudder to think what would be accepted in a completely godless society.
This is incorrect. Secularism makes up the rules that are rational and make sense within the context of man's life as the standard of value. The thing is, morality has ALWAYS been designed and implemented by man. It's just that when you move from mysticism to secularism, you establish Reason as a tool in the design and implementation of morality. Reason works better than mysticism, and will produce better morality in tune with Reality and the true needs of mankind.

There is no need to move the locus of moral code design to a mystical realm of non-reality. Morality is a code of behavior that is used by man on the planet Earth for the purpose of coexisting such that we can all live together and thrive.

Morality is of Man, by Man, for Man, in the World. And it always has been, as it only can be, then, now or ever. So let's just keep it real, and make sure our morality makes sense. We design it, let's make sure the design is correct and reflects the reality in which we live.

You "shudder to think what would be accepted in a completely godless society." Well guess what? You're already living that reality. And so is everyone else. And guess what? That has always been the case. What would be accepted in a rational society would be sensible and logical moral laws that advance the life of Man. When we make moral law arbitrary and without Reason, we get the Dark Ages. Or the Middle East. Or Somalia.

It is high time to completely move Morality from the theological realm to the philosophical realm where it correctly belongs and has always correctly belonged. Only then can we arrive at a rational and cogent morality suitable for the future of mankind.

That does not mean ending mysticism, it just means we move the most important stuff to a rational venue. Mystics can continue indulging their imaginations, but they should not be allowed to make rules for others. It has never worked and cannot work because it goes against Reality and Existence.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
And yet another whupped fundavangelist exits, stage right, tail tucked betwixt its legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality