Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,933,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
From the article -

A concerned viewer wrote to Pat Robertson for advice on demons and thrift stores:
“I buy a lot of clothes and other items at Goodwill and other secondhand shops. Recently my mom told me that I need to pray over the items, bind familiar spirits, and bless the items before I bring them into the house. Is my mother correct? Can demons attach themselves to material items?”
Robertson’s answer?
”Can demonic spirits attach themselves to inanimate objects? The answer is yes. But I don’t think every sweater you get from Goodwill has demons in it. In a sense your mother is just being super cautious, so hey — it isn’t gonna hurt you any to rebuke any spirits that might attach themselves to those clothes.”
Pat Robertson: There could be demons attached to your thrift store finds - Salon.com

Pat Robertson graduated from Yale Law School before his religious conversion. The article is two years old, but still telling.

For the record, I love thrift stores.
So if the video is two years old, then what exactly is the point of bringing this up?

I am far from a Pat Robertson supporter but I don't necessarily disagree with his views here. There are people who pray over some strange things. People have all types of rituals that they do, they hold certain things sacred. I mean people worship animals. Does that mean you should be paranoid of everything you receive? Not necessarily but it's not going to hurt to pray over it. I'm not sure what the big deal is here. Seems like people just looking for a reason to bash something they don't agree with. That is no different than you making fun of someone who prays in front of a Buddha statue. I don't have to agree with it, but I'm not going to be ignorant and make fun of someone that does. Yet, many of these same posters preach tolerance. Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,302,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
That is no different than you making fun of someone who prays in front of a Buddha statue. I don't have to agree with it, but I'm not going to be ignorant and make fun of someone that does. Yet, many of these same posters preach tolerance. Hmm...
Sorry, but it's Pat Robertson. I don't feel at all guilty.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sorry, but it's Pat Robertson. I don't feel at all guilty.
So that's your logic? You don't even look at what a person is saying, you just look at the name, assume it's wrong and move on?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,291,970 times
Quote:
So that's your logic? You don't even look at what a person is saying, you just look at the name, assume it's wrong and move on?

Pat Robertson says a huge amout of silly things. The fact that he is a religious figure does not give him a pass. Some of his advise is so wrong that it threatens people's financial position such as once advising a women to abandon her home becuause it was haunted. Advising people to damage other people's property is wrong and I once heard a clip were he advised someone to not talk to a co-worker because that person did not believe in god. Pat says a lot of things and the things that are silly, foolish or simply wrong are open season. The things that he says that are not foolish are not made fun of.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
As an atheist, I think praying over items to exorcise demons from them is way out there in left field even for a religion. Couple that with the fact that Pat Robertson said it - yeah, the same person who blamed gays and feminists for Katrina and a pact with the devil for the Haitian earthquake. The same Pat Robertson who said Christian husbands can beat their wives, or one of my favorites: A grieving woman writes into Robertson's show to ask advice on what she should do - because she couldn't afford a burial, just cremation. And Robertson says, "If you can't scrap together a couple of thousand bucks, something is wrong with you."

So do I feel guilty bashing Pat Robertson? No ... never. And that's the way it is.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Pat Robertson says a huge amout of silly things. The fact that he is a religious figure does not give him a pass. Some of his advise is so wrong that it threatens people's financial position such as once advising a women to abandon her home becuause it was haunted. Advising people to damage other people's property is wrong and I once heard a clip were he advised someone to not talk to a co-worker because that person did not believe in god. Pat says a lot of things and the things that are silly, foolish or simply wrong are open season. The things that he says that are not foolish are not made fun of.
I don't disagree. I do believe he is very reckless with his comments, but I don't think that means everything he says is wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
As an atheist, I think praying over items to exercise demons from them is way out there in left field even for a religion. Couple that with the fact that Pat Robertson said it - yeah, the same person who blamed gays and feminists for Katrina and a pact with the devil for the Haitian earthquake. The same Pat Robertson who said Christian husbands can beat their wives, or one of my favorites: A grieving woman writes into Robertson's show to ask advice on what she should do - because she couldn't afford a burial for her mother, just cremation. And Robertson says, "If you can't scrape together a couple of thousand bucks, something is wrong with you."

So do I feel guilty bashing Pat Robertson? No ... never. And that's the way it is.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
As an atheist, I think praying over items to exorcise demons from them is way out there in left field even for a religion.
That's your opinion, but the reality is people do it, whether you agree with them or not.

Quote:
Couple that with the fact that Pat Robertson said it - yeah, the same person who blamed gays and feminists for Katrina and a pact with the devil for the Haitian earthquake. The same Pat Robertson who said Christian husbands can beat their wives, or one of my favorites: A grieving woman writes into Robertson's show to ask advice on what she should do - because she couldn't afford a burial, just cremation. And Robertson says, "If you can't scrap together a couple of thousand bucks, something is wrong with you."

So if you say some things that are wrong, that means I can just dismiss anything else you have said?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
So if you say some things that are wrong, that means I can just dismiss anything else you have said?
It wouldn't have mattered who said it, I think such primitive superstitious rites as expelling demons from items you buy at a store is nonsense and I'm not under any kind of restraint when voicing my opinion on the matter.

The fact that Pat Robertson said it is just icing on the demon-infested cake.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't have mattered who said it, I think such primitive superstitious rites as expelling demons from items you buy at a store is nonsense and I'm not under any kind of restraint when voicing my opinion on the matter.

The fact that Pat Robertson said it is just icing on the demon-infested cake.
You didn't answer my question though. What is the expression? A broke clock is right twice a day? I mean I'm certainly not suggesting that most of the things he says is right, but I am saying that I wouldn't outright dismiss it just because of what he has said in the past. People should be more open minded. If you want people to consider what you say, you should give the same respect. Otherwise that just makes you to be a narrow minded and shallow person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality