Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
But it is fair to evaluate people based on a track record, and Pat's is not a very good one, I'm afraid...

-NoCapo
I'm not saying it isn't, but I am saying that his track record doesn't necessarily make him wrong in this instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I'm not saying it isn't, but I am saying that his track record doesn't necessarily make him wrong in this instance.
No, the claim that demons are potentially infesting used junk from a thrift store is pretty over the top silly, without considering his track record...

-NoCapo

Old 03-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
No, the claim that demons are potentially infesting used junk from a thrift store is pretty over the top silly, without considering his track record...

-NoCapo
If you don't believe in demons then of course it's not going to make sense. That's your opinion. I am sure people will suggest some of the things you believe are silly too. You reap what you sow.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Nope, not at all. I am saying just because he says things that are wrong, doesn't mean he's always wrong. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not suggesting that his previous actions should be defended or not considered at least, but I am saying that saying that he's wrong just because he has a history of being wrong, is lazy. If an atheist person said something, I would certainly be cautious as to what they may say, but I would still consider their point before drawing a conclusion that they are wrong.
Off course he is not necessarily wrong just because he is Pat Robertson, but Pat Robertson is so often wrong that he is a joke to those who do not believe in him.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
If you don't believe in demons then of course it's not going to make sense. That's your opinion. I am sure people will suggest some of the things you believe are silly too. You reap what you sow.
Even when I did believe in demons, that would have seemed over the top, alarmist, devil glorifying garbage to me. At least in the Christianity I understood, the powers of darkness have no hold over a believer. The Frank Peretti-esque nonsense was simply not biblical, and not constructive. Paranoia over inviting demonic influence into your life from used clothing shows an enormous lack of faith in the God who is supposed to shelter you under His wing, and will not give you stones for bread.

From where I sit now, being afraid that your omnipotent, omnibenevolent imaginary friend won't protect you from evil imaginary enemies, because you bought some used jogging pants and did not say the right incantation over them just reads like a bad Call of Cthultu role-playing session. Seriously?!? In the other thread, I mentioned that some things just needed to be mocked? Yeah, this.

-NoCapo

Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. I do believe he is very reckless with his comments, but I don't think that means everything he says is wrong. That's all I'm saying.
I suppose you could say then, that not everything Hitler said was wrong either. Heck, let's defend everyone.

People with the mentality of Robertson would happily go on a killing spree decimating millions of non-Christians if they could get away with it. The man is filled with hate, judgment, and persecution of non Christians. When a person like him is allowed to go unchecked, and people do not recognize the evil in what he preaches, his supporters, defenders, and followers become no better than him.

And a lot of people fail to mention the cash scamming that these tv preachers pull. It could be your mother or grandmother next, with dementia sitting at home on fixed income who is scammed into sending a portion of her tiny monthly check to these ultra-wealthy cons.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I suppose you could say then, that not everything Hitler said was wrong either. Heck, let's defend everyone.

People with the mentality of Robertson would happily go on a killing spree decimating millions of non-Christians if they could get away with it. The man is filled with hate, judgment, and persecution of non Christians. When a person like him is allowed to go unchecked, and people do not recognize the evil in what he preaches, his supporters, defenders, and followers become no better than him.

And a lot of people fail to mention the cash scamming that these tv preachers pull. It could be your mother or grandmother next, with dementia sitting at home on fixed income who is scammed into sending a portion of her tiny monthly check to these ultra-wealthy cons.
I'm not defending him and I'm certainly not defending his past actions. I would at least listen to what he is saying before I comment. That's all. I think I have made that clear already.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,646 times
Quote:
You completely missed the point.
Why did I ?

You were basically saying that although he might say terrible things that you don't agree with, it doesn't mean that he doesn't say things that are right, weren't you? You made the analogy with the clock, not I.

Please explain.

Or at least, if I understand what you are saying, what do you find yourself in accordance to what he might have said in the past ?

Last edited by personne; 03-03-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 03:30 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
The only thing Pat Robertson ever gets right is his name.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Why did I ?

You were basically saying that although he might say terrible things that you don't agree with, it doesn't mean that he doesn't say things that are right, weren't you? You made the analogy with the clock, not I.

Please explain.

Or at least, if I understand what you are saying, what do you find yourself in accordance to what he might have said in the past ?
I am saying, again, that just because he has said crazy things in the past, doesn't mean he's wrong here. I didn't here people say oh well this is ridiculous I don't believe in..... instead all I heard, at first at least, is oh this is Pat Robertson so there is nothing worth listening too. I'm just saying if you are going to take time to respond, at least here if what he is saying is legitimate or not.

For the record, I don't agree with many of the things he has said. I think he is senile and should have been off the air long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality