Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM

793 posts, read 2,212,433 times

Advertisements

because you have a choice. Whether u accept him as your personal savior and become part of God's family or you don't and you be separated from God forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,223,203 times
Originally Posted by djf863000
Quote:
because you have a choice. Whether u accept him as your personal savior and become part of God's family or you don't and you be separated from God forever.
So God is not a god of forgiveness?
I mean, with the exception of evil people (psychopaths and serial predators) I don't play favourites and try to love people equally.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,628,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by djf863000 So God is not a god of forgiveness?
I mean, with the exception of evil people (psychopaths and serial predators) I don't play favourites and try to love people equally.
Nope, our God is a jealous and vengeful God...best not to get on his bad side.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,223,203 times
Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
Nope, our God is a jealous and vengeful God...best not to get on his bad side.
Jealous people are basically insecure people.
I don't think that jealous gods are any different.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,482,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
God sent Christ before his birth as a man? Huh, you lost me on that one. Is there scripture on that one? I am not saying there's not, but I must of missed that one. Can you enlighten me?

Through the Old Testament, I was under the assumption that God did his own revealing. (i.e: to Moses when he received the divine revelation of the Ten Commandments.) As I understand it, before Jesus, it was God or no one. During Jesus's lifetime, divine revelation came from Jesus. After Pentecost, divine revelation came and will come from the Holy Spirit until Jesus returns.

The Nicene Creed declares the following: Jesus...And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man; The Bible suggests the Holy Spirit was somehow locked up inside of Jesus and Jesus did not let the Holy Spirit out until Pentecost. So as I understand it, before the conception of Jesus, the Holy Spirit was not talked about. I could be wrong. If I am, please educate me.
John 8:57-59 NIV

57 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" 58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Jesus claimed to have personally seen Abraham. Whats more, Jesus used the name that was considered blasphemy, the name only used by God..... I am. The same "I am" said to Moses.

Blasphemy carried a death penalty in Jewish law ....
59 At this, they [the Jews] picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 1: 1-3
In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He [Jesus] was with God in the beginning.
3Through him [Jesus] all things were made; without him [Jesus] nothing was made that has been made.

The Spirit:
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,328,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
John 8:57-59 NIV

57 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" 58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Jesus claimed to have personally seen Abraham. Whats more, Jesus used the name that was considered blasphemy, the name only used by God..... I am. The same "I am" said to Moses.

Blasphemy carried a death penalty in Jewish law ....
59 At this, they [the Jews] picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 1: 1-3
In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He [Jesus] was with God in the beginning.
3Through him [Jesus] all things were made; without him [Jesus] nothing was made that has been made.

The Spirit:
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
do you believe in the trinity?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,262,661 times
for whom thinks that faith only is enough
how can you interpret these verses
from mathew chapter 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
do you believe in the trinity?
Yes I do, because the bible teaches it. Why?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
for whom thinks that faith only is enough
how can you interpret these verses
from mathew chapter 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
If you notice, "faith" is not attributed to those in these passages. All these people are pointing out to Jesus what they have done. People of faith don't stand on their accomplishments, their "worthiness" their boasting.

Romans 4:2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God.
Romans 4:4 Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation.
Romans 9:32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone."
Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,328,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yes I do, because the bible teaches it. Why?

Then I would assume that you mean the second person of the trinity, as opposed to the indwelled body of the man born of a virgin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality