Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That was the argument of the segregationists (most of whom were fundamentalists who held up their Bibles to justify their racism) who thought black Americans shouldn't be served at Woolworth's counters.
Yep. They also wouldn't allow a black and a white person to marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:50 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Vizio - I think you should be able to perform religious marriage ceremonies and no court should order you to marry anyone in particular. I've been a proud member of the ACLU for many years and would support them advocating for the civil rights of fundamentalists.

Frankly, I think the state should perform civil unions that have all legal rights attached to marriage. By all I mean local, state and federal. If people want a religious or any other type of ceremony, that's there business. Interestingly, that's how it's done in Italy. You get legally married and then go to the church for your religious ceremony.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Perhaps. Honestly? I haven't seen the statistics on the actual number of cases they've taken for white evangelicals compared to other minorities, compared to the number they declined to take. But I can say that it SEEMS like they sure love to take a stand against the religious.
Vizio, your brand of Christianity constantly seeks persecution. You revel in it because if you are persecuted you must be in the right. When we liberals point out YOUR persecution of homosexuals there is a tendency to tell us we are being intolerant of YOUR religious "right" to be intolerant toward you.

In last year's famous Houston Mayor case the ACLU was very forthcoming. An article in the October 17 Christian Post reported:

The Texas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and other liberal groups have expressed concern over Houston officials subpoenaing sermons that may have been critical of an LGBT discrimination city ordinance.

Recently the city subpoenaed various pastors' sermons due to their objection to the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance, a recently passed law that has strong conservative opposition.

In a statement published Friday afternoon, the ACLU of Texas said that the "government must use special care when intruding into matters of faith."

"The government should never engage in fishing expeditions into the inner workings of a church, and any request for information must be carefully tailored to seek only what is relevant to the dispute," said the ACLU.

"We are glad that Mayor Parker has acknowledged that subpoenas issued in ongoing litigation were too broad and that there is no need to intrude on matters of faith to have equal rights in Houston."

ACLU added that while they strongly support HERO, there "was no need to include sermons in the subpoena in the first place."

Liberal groups do defend your right to be as ugly as you wish behind closed doors. When you try to bring that into the free market system hunting season is open and you are fair game.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That was the argument of the segregationists (most of whom were fundamentalists who held up their Bibles to justify their racism) who thought black Americans shouldn't be served at Woolworth's counters.
Excellent point. I'm currently reading a chapter in a book about the history of the northern and southern branches of the Presbyterian church. One of the most ardent and articulate southern Presbyterian theologians is quoted as having written that slavery of the black race was pre-ordained by God because they are the descendants of Ham (son of Noah off the top of my head) and their race was to be enslaved as part of God's plan to punish Ham.

And get this, as if there are not enough parallels to how fundamentalist view homosexuals---
"Abolitionism, if allowed to take hold, will be the ruin of our nation." That line can be taken out of a 160 year old letter arguing against freeing slaves and fit perfectly in Pat Robertson's mouth regarding homosexuality.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:15 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Vizio is trying to use the worn out, fallacious slippery slope argument while the laws that tell him he can't exercise his discriminatory, intolerant practices in public places are the same one that protect him once in his church.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Vizio is trying to use the worn out, fallacious slippery slope argument while the laws that tell him he can't exercise his discriminatory, intolerant practices in public places are the same one that protect him once in his church.
Nope...not really. I'm happy to live and let live.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We never had a law like that and we never had provincial laws banning same sex marriage so I think it was fundamentalist trying to get their views as the law of the land. If gays had just agreed to continue being second class citizens that the poor fundamentalist would not have had to do anything.
Seriously? It was because people felt threatened. It wasn't an issue in 1950--because no one was trying to redefine marriage.
Quote:
In Canada it is the churches themselves that decide if they allow same sex marriage. Do you have to preside over people of other faiths now? Do you have to give the Quran equal time in your church?
I'm not suggesting that it's happening now, or even next year. But in time, I believe it will happen.
Quote:
Do not fear gay people.
I don't fear gay people. But I do feel the need to defend myself and the people and things I cherish when attacked.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
...snip...

I don't fear gay people. But I do feel the need to defend myself and the people and things I cherish when attacked.
And promoting equality for gay humans is "attacking."

Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And promoting equality for gay humans is "attacking."

We've been over this many many times. Gay people have EXACTLY the same rights as straight people. To create a new form of marriage to suit them is to give them rights that straight people don't have.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
We've been over this many many times. Gay people have EXACTLY the same rights as straight people. To create a new form of marriage to suit them is to give them rights that straight people don't have.
Correction: YOU'VE been over this many times. So far, I haven't seen anybody agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality