Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if it's actually possible to become addicted to religion.

For me, it was very hard to deconvert from the fundamentalist Christianity I was raised with. I had actual health problems like axiety disorders, depression, insomnia, etc. I think it's fair to say that I was "dependent" or maybe even "addicted" to religion.

Marx famously said religion was the "opiate of the masses." Maybe he was more right than he knew.

Has anyone else had similar problems deconverting from a religion? Does it make sense to say that religion can actually be addictive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 07:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

For me, it was very hard to deconvert from the fundamentalist Christianity I was raised with. I had actual health problems like axiety disorders, depression, insomnia, etc. I think it's fair to say that I was "dependent" or maybe even "addicted" to religion.

Marx famously said religion was the "opiate of the masses." Maybe he was more right than he knew.

Has anyone else had similar problems deconverting from a religion? Does it make sense to say that religion can actually be addictive?
I didn't have a problem stepping away from Catholicism/Christianity as a teen. Why I think some folks cling so fervently to their dogma is because certainty brings peace of mind. And nowhere is this mindset more perfectly exemplified than that of the fundamentalist.

For them, everything is either right or wrong and determined by a certain interpretation of a certain edition of a certain compilation of ancient pamphlets. They don't even have to bother reading it and getting that gist for themselves!

Nossir!

They just need to squeeze themselves into a jacket and tie once a week and regurgitate what the guy droning at the lectern said.

At least the parts they caught between naps.

In other words -- they relieve themselves of the painful task of self-examination -- in favour of what some desert-dwellers told them to think a few thousand years ago.

Easy.

For some - thankfully few.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
People certainly depend on religion and the question is whether it's the sort of dependency that equates to addiction.

To my mind there are two reasons to depend on something. One is that it actually performs. I can depend on breathing the air around me, and on the sun rising at a particular time tomorrow. For the most part, I can depend on my car to get me places. I depend on those things because they actually work reliably.

The other kind of dependence is the sort of thing that keeps your brain away from scary or unpleasant things, or maybe even provides it with a "hit" of pleasure. Religion protects from uncertainty by providing assertions of truth and morality, and it can provide both real and false security through a sense of community, and by fostering a relationship with an imaginary powerful being who's in your corner. To an extent it also uses art, particularly music, to soothe.

In my personal experience the invisible friend never delivered in any tight spot and the sense of community was conditional, judgmental and controlling in almost equal measure to its sometimes kindness. And since I was evangelical rather than liberal, the music wasn't too great, either.

I did not find deconversion to be a trivial matter but then again I didn't find being a believer terribly gratifying either. Still, it was a loss for the simple reason that you grieve any loss -- it was a part of your daily life, familiar and known even if ineffective in important ways, and when you leave it, you're in uncharted territory for awhile.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re: 'Is religion addictive?'

I think it can be . But I'd differ from some in that I can see it working positively in some getting away from the pejorative aspects 'addiction'. Not everyone's cup of tea but we all drink from different 'cups' to make sense of the world and how we live and perceive it.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
I was brought up in a Christian household, mother was "chapel", dad sang in the choir. but I left all that behind when I left home, I'm a Pagan these days.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
It certainly keeps me coning back for more. Fortunately Gldnrule is probably right that atheism will never supplant Theism and I won't have to approach the furtive -looking hoodies slouching around beside the disused supermarket muttering 'Drug, sex, cheap booze, smuggle cigaret?' to passers by and ask ' "Got any religion?"

Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:

Those things can happen for any number of reasons. I wouldn't classify it as withdrawal from an addiction, unless you say that anytime your world view is shaken or broken, or you lose something or someone that was a major part of your life (eg. job, health, loved one, etc.) and you respond with anxiety and depression, it means you were addicted to whatever you lost.

On the other hand, I do think that religion can become an unhealthy obsession for some of us. I know it was for me. But, looking back, I believe I was obsessed with Christianity (of the evangelical/fundamentalist variety) because I was desperately trying to make it be self-consistent and to understand why Christianity didn't seem to be making any important difference in how people lived their lives as compared to the general "unbelievers" population.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
When you hear the ones that talk like "Gotta have it, can't live or function without it" that does bear resemblance to an addiction.
Of course, the same thing can be said about food so it doesn't mean some addictions are inherently bad

Old 03-08-2015, 10:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

Yes--I think even some atheists are addicted to their religious worldview.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
I hope and pray never to be addicted to religion for fear of becoming religious. Although making every attempt to avoid
arrogance and a lack of charity for those victimize by organized
religion and its shortcomings ( ie, lack of hebrew roots, endtimes prophecy, preparedness even interest). Why victims? Primarily due to religion linked to a dead church ( in general, not all churches) leading to complacency,lukewarmness and completely ignorant of whats ahead (heads in the sand syndrome). So study scripture beyomd the philosophies embedded in your good pastor, get into home bible study and
allow the Holy Spirit to overwhelm religions distraction and you
will find " the beef" ! Seriously you will "get" Yeshua and His teachings plus those sent out albeit apostles. Most pastors
are great and essential but often follow the bible
school script in itself a religion spin ( a kind of red flag )?

Last edited by openmike; 03-08-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality