Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

[quote=Gunluvver2;38774594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
A major religious and culture problem is that a number of Oklahomans find sex acts with the same sex to be quite grossly repugnant and want to run to the Bible and point out verses why they should feel that way and justify discriminating against homosexuals. In Oklahoma, most Republican legislators strongly agree with that and are currently trying to pass a number of anti-gay laws. To me, it's none of my business to worry to death over what consenting adults love to do in bed. I don't think I would be gross enough to give oral anal sex to a woman, but don't judge guys as wrong and immoral before God, who love to do such a thing. Likewise, with what gays want to do in bed. Live and let live, and have God worry about the judging part.[/quote

Speaking for myself as a person trying to be a Christian here is what I think on the topic of same sex marriages: It is none of my business but I will never vote YES to allow same sex marriages. I do not want the government interfering in what you and your partner do in your own bedroom but I also do not want the government giving official approval to allow same sex marriages. Is there anything that a same sex couple cannot do with proper legal agreements in place?

Yes God will do the judging part. As a Christian I will never approve of this behavior but GOD gave us ALL free will. You are responsible to God not to me.
First off, yes there are. You can make a financial agreement and make everything else the same, but things like one part of the partnership is desperately ill and the other is denied the decisions only a spouse can make are things which matter. And no matter how long or how well defined a relationship is, its isn't the same if you wish to be married and that is denied. And giving government permission to recognize the rights of same sex couples is not going to hurt those who aren't, but will do harm to other human beings.

And yes She gave us free will. But she does not like it when we presume and deny the rights of those not like 'us'. I do not accept the christan god so I am not responsible to him. Too many christans seem to assume that those who don't accept the christan god are forced to obey christan rules because they believe them.

Oklahoma will be a great laughing stock once again if they pass this bill giving marriage to churches, and it will die in a court and things will go back as they are since the court had already said. It could be torn apart so many ways but it shows how desperate the 'christan' bunch is to even suggest something set up to fail.

Oklahoma has its wonders but the narrow minded agenda does it a great disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Amazing how quickly a so-called discussion on religion becomes a discussion of sex acts and Republicans. Who knew? As a registered Democrat I need to see if I can't get me one of those halos. As usual, it's also a great opportunity for those who like to give intimate details to expand on their personal proclivities to tell strangers all about it. For some reason discussing religion, politics or sex are three subjects which often bring out the worst. Not always, but often.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Amazing how quickly a so-called discussion on religion becomes a discussion of sex acts and Republicans. Who knew? As a registered Democrat I need to see if I can't get me one of those halos. As usual, it's also a great opportunity for those who like to give intimate details to expand on their personal proclivities to tell strangers all about it. For some reason discussing religion, politics or sex are three subjects which often bring out the worst. Not always, but often.
Yes agreed but my sex's acts were all 36 or 35 years ago and I no longer engage in those sort of acts. You
of course are right talking about sex , religious matters and politics are The Kiss Of Death In OKLAHOMA , but not in CALIFORNIA and that's where I have been from for 30 some odd years.....No Pun Intended....and I have been an IndepenDance since 1982....

Last edited by Howest2008; 03-12-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
duplicate

Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
walk in balance

Old 03-12-2015, 02:47 PM

134 posts, read 239,309 times
Quote:
Conservatives are all about small government until it comes to their ideals. Then, they want the biggest government intervention possible.
Thank You. I am relieved to hear that from someone. I am very fiscally conservative but socially moderate. I despise big government in ANY form. I was a Republican until 2008 when I couldn't take the big government from the religious right and certain politicians (Santorum, Huckabee, Palin, ect.). I am now a member of the Libertarian Party.

We have the same problems here in Florida with certain religious groups. In the area I live in, a certain Christian faith dominates. Most of them believe that if you are not with them, you are going straight to Hell (Can anyone guess which faith I am talking about?).

Officially I am Roman Catholic but have started attending an Episcopalian Church due to some disagreements I have with the Catholic Church. I have had a few Catholic friends make comments regarding my current choice of church. It seems like it is a never ending battle. I don't care what faith anyone is as long as they are not trying to impose it on others.

That is my 2 cents.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
Thank You. I am relieved to hear that from someone. I am very fiscally conservative but socially moderate. I despise big government in ANY form. I was a Republican until 2008 when I couldn't take the big government from the religious right and certain politicians (Santorum, Huckabee, Palin, ect.). I am now a member of the Libertarian Party.

We have the same problems here in Florida with certain religious groups. In the area I live in, a certain Christian faith dominates. Most of them believe that if you are not with them, you are going straight to Hell (Can anyone guess which faith I am talking about?).

Officially I am Roman Catholic but have started attending an Episcopalian Church due to some disagreements I have with the Catholic Church. I have had a few Catholic friends make comments regarding my current choice of church. It seems like it is a never ending battle. I don't care what faith anyone is as long as they are not trying to impose it on others.

That is my 2 cents.
Well said.

Kudos to Coach Bob Stoops for standing with his players in protest.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
I don't care who/what anybody worships. My problem begins when the religious dictate their version of "morality" via legislation.

Conservatives are all about small government until it comes to their ideals. Then, they want the biggest government intervention possible.

People forget that this country was founded on the separation of church and state.
Not quite right. The First Amendment DOES NOT say any such thing. What it says is:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

In other words the government cannot dictate what Church the people should attend. At the time the constitution was adopted the Church of England was the "favored" Church of the British government. I believe the idea of separation of Church and State was taken from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. Maybe one of you scholarly types can weigh in on this.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I don't care which or what religion a person has so long as they don't try to get me into it. As strict as my mother was with her own beliefs, she also believed if a person strives to live what they believe they are doing well. Of course, that doesn't apply to those who claim a religion and live however the hell they want to.

I was in a forum for several years and there was also an atheist who participated. He was all right until he got sidetracked into his beliefs and then he was a loud-mouthed bombastic maniac. When he got into such discussions his anger was right there ready to boil over. He knew more about the bible than most people. I think it's odd for someone so anti to study the bible so thoroughly. I had no interest in any of his discussions about religion.

Human being just seem to be made to dislike others who are different, whether it's politics or religion. Not all human beings but many. I have my likes and dislikes, but it isn't because of religion, sex or politics. I've had best friends who are of opposite politics to me. I have a good friend who is a Jehovah Witness.... well, she's almost one, if she could stop smoking. I could be friends with someone on the religious right if they didn't try to convert me. I think people who take pot shots at people of different beliefs have small minds that are firmly closed. They hug their beliefs close to their chest and actually think they're superior specimens.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM

241 posts, read 223,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It's a lot of how people interpret things. I believe this nation wasn't founded on Christianity. Many religious Christians think it was. Neither of us are going to change how we think. The thing is, for many, many years people were either Christian or kept quiet about what they really thought. I think Madelyn Murray O'Hair really changed that. People aren't afraid to stand up and say what they do and don't believe in anymore. Christians have to face the fact that not everyone believes as they do and that's hard for them, since it was always taken for granted in the past that everyone did. So that implies a loss of control and no one likes losing control.

It also means being exposed to new ideas and new situations, and no one likes to have their secure world that already has everything in its place shaken up like that. People react in different ways and a lot of the ways they react are violent and angry. The far Christian right is only reacting the way a father would act if his 17 year old daughter defied him for the first time.

The last thing that is causing a ruckus is every group is solidly convinced they are right. Not only as a group, but as individuals as well. Most Christians seem to be able to think they can talk to God and read his mind and that they and they alone are elected to interpret for the rest of us. I'd like to see a little humility in this regard, but with people like Jerry Falwell (now deceased) and Pat Robertson leading the way, is it any wonder everyone else wants to get in the show?

I, personally, react to religion the way I'd react to a husband telling me how to dress and when I should bring him his sandwich, which is to say, not well at all. I figure I'm old enough to know right from wrong and I'll take the consequences of my decisions, which are mine to make. So you can see where that would put me at odds with any religious group right there. I wouldn't call it hate, but when a religious group tries to regulate my behavior and tries telling me what I can or can't do because of how THEY feel, well, then, let's say I get a little perturbed.
FINALLY, someone said it! Thank you! Maybe, people are just so arrogant that they get angry and offended if anyone dares disagree with them. I hope some other people are reading this and thinking about their own behavior (Christians and Atheists namely).

Last edited by Timemachineman; 03-12-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
View detailed profiles of: