Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think we can pass over Goldenrule's stock denialism about what is happening without further comment. He and his views are irrelevant.
are so blind as those that won't see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I think we can pass over Goldenrule's stock denialism about what is happening without further comment. He and his views are irrelevant.
I always skip his posts now.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Yeah that was little more than argumentum ad populum dressed up as posturing. It says nothing about atheism or theism, and everything about the standard of argument remaining to theists.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
are so blind as those that won't see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Yeah that was little more than argumentum ad populum dressed up as posturing. It says nothing about atheism or theism, and everything about the standard of argument remaining to theists.
The "denialism" is on the part of some of the Atheists. They put up thread after thread, post after post...trying to claim that religion is waning. But they focus only on areas of low population where the religious are becoming irreligious...but failing to mention the other side of it, where in the heavily populated areas of the world that were mostly irreligious, they are now becoming religious.
The conversion from irreligion to religion beats out conversion from religion to irreligion by many multiples, resulting in a heavy net gain for religion globally. THAT is the FACT of the matter.
But the Atheists on this board that suffer from "Godophobia" and "Theologitis" (the ones that REALLY "are so blind as those that won't see") keep cherry-picking the spots to point at to put forth the bogus blowhole spew that "irreligion is gaining ground".

Also...I find it so amusing that the Atheists have bickered for years that the popularity of religion has no bearing on its validity or merit...with their "Argumentum ad Populum, Epic FAIL!" proclamations when they encounter such arguments.
But now...thread after thread, post after post (replete with all the "high fiving" and "repping") noting places where irreligion is increasing in popularity relative to religion. What's up with that?! I coulda sworn you guys all claimed that popular endorsement of a concept has nothing what-so-ever to do with its rationality. So, why all the threads and posts blowing a trumpet about gains in irreligion in some places?
Sorry...you can't slam Logical Fallacy based arguments, then try to use them when it suits you...that's hypocritical. But then, that figures...since Atheism itself is typically embraced based upon a Logical Fallacy.

Not that it matters...cuz the FACTS are the FACTS: Religion is GAINING on a global level. Some around here need to get hip to that...no matter how much that causes flare-ups in their already heavily biased and prejudicial attitude toward those that hold differing points of view.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "denialism" is on the part of some of the Atheists. They put up thread after thread, post after post...trying to claim that religion is waning. But they focus only on areas of low population where the religious are becoming irreligious...but failing to mention the other side of it, where in the heavily populated areas of the world that were mostly irreligious, they are now becoming religious.
The conversion from irreligion to religion beats out conversion from religion to irreligion by many multiples, resulting in a heavy net gain for religion globally. THAT is the FACT of the matter.
But the Atheists on this board that suffer from "Godophobia" and "Theologitis" (the ones that REALLY "are so blind as those that won't see") keep cherry-picking the spots to point at to put forth the bogus blowhole spew that "irreligion is gaining ground".

Also...I find it so amusing that the Atheists have bickered for years that the popularity of religion has no bearing on its validity or merit...with their "Argumentum ad Populum, Epic FAIL!" proclamations when they encounter such arguments.
But now...thread after thread, post after post (replete with all the "high fiving" and "repping") noting places where irreligion is increasing in popularity relative to religion. What's up with that?! I coulda sworn you guys all claimed that popular endorsement of a concept has nothing what-so-ever to do with its rationality. So, why all the threads and posts blowing a trumpet about gains in irreligion in some places?
Sorry...you can't slam Logical Fallacy based arguments, then try to use them when it suits you...that's hypocritical. But then, that figures...since Atheism itself is typically embraced based upon a Logical Fallacy.

Not that it matters...cuz the FACTS are the FACTS: Religion is GAINING on a global level. Some around here need to get hip to that...no matter how much that causes flare-ups in their already heavily biased and prejudicial attitude toward those that hold differing points of view.
As has been pointed out, the more education a society gets, the less it depends on superstition and old myths.

Education is a good thing, and the decline of religion in the areas of the world where education is valued even a better thing. On the other hand, one must not forget that religion is declining in all of the Americas, north central and south. There's no question that there are areas of Central and South America where education has not get caught up to North American standards. But at least there is enough education for those societies to turn away from their traditional religious perspective.

Science and education. Aren't they wonderful things?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Repeating a grab -bag of irrelevant and refuted arguments, old son. I won't even bother to address your totally ballsed up interpretation of the ad populum fallacy and its irrelevance to what's true, never mind your smearing and well -poisoning. You have nothing useful to say, let alone for us to get 'hip' to in your tired catch phrase that seems to have caught on with nobody but you. Instead you cling to your last bit of 'evidence': atheism is still a small number. No wonder, when 2,000 years of atheist - bashing have made people wary and distrustful of the name. Atheism can wait. The move to irreligion is what it happening. That will become agnosticism and eventually atheism. You are still in denial and your post was still a waste of effort.

Have a nice week

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-18-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Just a repetition of the same non-argument just using more words than last time to make it. It is still argumentum ad populum posturing and nothing of any actual substance.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
As has been pointed out, the more education a society gets, the less it depends on superstition and old myths.

Education is a good thing, and the decline of religion in the areas of the world where education is valued even a better thing. On the other hand, one must not forget that religion is declining in all of the Americas, north central and south. There's no question that there are areas of Central and South America where education has not get caught up to North American standards. But at least there is enough education for those societies to turn away from their traditional religious perspective.

Science and education. Aren't they wonderful things?
Your argument fails AGAIN. You are sooooooo out of touch with REALITY of how the world REALLY is.
The place where the most prolific conversion from irreligion to religion is occurring...is the place that ranks highest in education. YOU are the one that needs education...on this issue at least:
China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings - ABC News

China on course to become 'world's most Christian nation' within 15 years - Telegraph

Quote:
Repeating a grab -bag of irrelevant and refuted arguments, old son. I won't even bother to address your totally ballsed up interpretation of the ad populum fallacy and its irrelevance to what's true, never mind your smearing and well -poisoning. You have nothing useful to say, let alone for us to get 'hip' to in your tired catch phrase that seems to have caught on with nobody but you. Instead you cling to your last bit of 'evidence': atheism is still a small number. No wonder, when 2,000 years of atheist - bashing have made people wary and distrustful of the name. Atheism can wait. The move to irreligion is what it happening. That will become agnosticism and eventually atheism. You are still in denial and your post was still a waste of effort.

Have a nice week
AGAIN: It is YOU that is in denial. There is no "move to irreligion"...that is something you have made up in your head by using cherry-picked locations of small population where it is occurring, while ignoring huge gains in other areas that greatly outweigh those small gains. "Atheism can wait" for the next few thousand years...it still won't be anything compared to Theism.

I haven't seen any of you refute my argument at all. All I see is you, et al, get all flared up with your biased and prejudicial attitudes when I put up evidence that proves your proclamation is bogus.
Instead of just spewing...let's see you actually rebut my PROOF that religion is GAINING on a worldwide basis, not losing, as you erroneously purport. You do nothing more than Bible Literalists do when shown proof of their error...repeat what has just been proved false.

I backed up my argument...let's see you back up yours. But you can't...because you are WRONG.
Com'on...back up what you have to say with proof...like I just did...I wanna see it.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Your argument fails AGAIN. You are sooooooo out of touch with REALITY of how the world REALLY is.
The place where the most prolific conversion from irreligion to religion is occurring...is the place that ranks highest in education. YOU are the one that needs education...on this issue at least:
China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings - ABC News
Did you read beyond the headline?

Until you do, I'm not going to tell you how the headline is deceiving. Now go back and read the article, and tell me what the headline really should have read.

Hint:
it only talks about two cities.

Quote:
FChina on course to become 'world's most Christian nation' within 15 years - Telegraph

AGAIN: It is YOU that is in denial. There is no "move to irreligion"...that is something you have made up in your head by using cherry-picked locations of small population where it is occurring, while ignoring huge gains in other areas that greatly outweigh those small gains. "Atheism can wait" for the next few thousand years...it still won't be anything compared to Theism.

I haven't seen any of you refute my argument at all. All I see is you, et al, get all flared up with your biased and prejudicial attitudes when I put up evidence that proves your proclamation is bogus.
Instead of just spewing...let's see you actually rebut my PROOF that religion is GAINING on a worldwide basis, not losing, as you erroneously purport. You do nothing more than Bible Literalists do when shown proof of their error...repeat what has just been proved false.

I backed up my argument...let's see you back up yours. But you can't...because you are WRONG.
Com'on...back up what you have to say with proof...like I just did...I wanna see it.
China maybe growing in raw numbers, but as a percentage of population? Islam also has large numbers and growing in China. Are you enthused about that?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Did you read beyond the headline?

Until you do, I'm not going to tell you how the headline is deceiving. Now go back and read the article, and tell me what the headline really should have read.

Hint:
it only talks about two cities.
Yes, of course I read it all.
Your complaint about the information actually works against your argument. Wait until religion in China spreads out into the suburban areas...then religion will grow even more!
The LAST thing it does is support the contention you put forth in thread after thread, that "religion is dying, and Atheism is growing".
The REAL WORLD situation relative to that issue: Religion is growing and there will be less Atheists.

Quote:
China maybe growing in raw numbers, but as a percentage of population? Islam also has large numbers and growing in China. Are you enthused about that?
This has been a common subject for some time now. Here is one of my offerings on the subject a couple of years ago...it answers the question you pose: http://www.city-data.com/forum/29406192-post31.html

If you don't feel like clicking the link, here is the gist of it:
I know some would like to believe religion has waned recently, because that is what they would prefer. Truth be told, I'd prefer that too. BUT...that just isn't the way it REALLY is.
Religion has lost some ground, in a few places...and again, IMO that's a good thing because I'd prefer it didn't exist at all...but I'm not going to fool myself. It's gaining more in other places (like China) than the amount it is losing in others. In fact...if China gets a big "religion bug" (and that's the way it's looking)...it will be a bigtime net gain for religion on a worldwide basis in the near future.

Anyone can say whatever they want...BUT...the REAL DEAL...at least for quite the foreseeable future: The only REAL threat to religion is a big asteroid hitting and wiping man from the face of the earth. Otherwise, it will continue to dominate like it has for thousands of years. And now that China...with a full 20% of the world population...has started to jump on religion bandwagon...it will become stronger than it's ever been.

Anyone that doesn't like that? Better stock up on Kleenex to sop up your tears, cuz you won't change it. MOF the more you fight it, the stronger it will get. Religion based organizations and religious people take great exception to being challenged, and it just strengthens their resolve.
If anyone thinks they can actually do something about that: I suggest finding the next F5 tornado...stand directly in its path, and throw punches at it to stop it--You'll get further and accomplish much more doing that than you will trying to stop religion or its embrace by the vaaaaaaast majority of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality