Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:32 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
AS someone who is not American I do find it amusing that so often people will state that God will punish America if it does x or y even though those things like same sex marriage had been legalized elsewhere without those punishments occuring. It is almost as if God only carried what happened in the States and whatever occurred elsewhere was not his concern. I had heard clips from politicans and church ministers a few years ago when same sex marriage was much more restricted in your country than it is now claiming that if it became legal God would punish America. But same sex marriage was legal in Canada and God was not punishing us (Leaf and Oiler fans may disagree).

Just an observation from the outside,
Everybody knows that the USA is God's Chosen Nation. He doesn't really care enough about Canada or Europe to punish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Everybody knows that the USA is God's Chosen Nation. He doesn't really care enough about Canada or Europe to punish them.
Now I feel bad.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not only what you mention - but also the rejection of all things about Christ. Removal of ten commandments... removal of prayer from school... removing "under God" from the pledge... a growing course of sentiment to stop celebrating Christmas.
Did you know that at one time it was Christians who outlawed the celebration of Christmas and all of its trappings. It was protestants in Scotland for example. Was Christmas a big deal in the American colonies or when your country was founded? Why do you think that your God would be upset if people, especially non Christians included Jews and Muslims in their seasons greetings?

Do you think it pleases God for those who do not believe in a god or those who believe in another God to have to repeat a prayer to him without meaning it?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Did you know that at one time it was Christians who outlawed the celebration of Christmas and all of its trappings. It was protestants in Scotland for example. Was Christmas a big deal in the American colonies or when your country was founded? Why do you think that your God would be upset if people, especially non Christians included Jews and Muslims in their seasons greetings?

Do you think it pleases God for those who do not believe in a god or those who believe in another God to have to repeat a prayer to him without meaning it?
To answer your last question - no. However - the fact that the offer for prayer is given allows some people to actually pray and communicate with God. God does like that. Take that away and God gets no acknowledgement.

All of the things I mentioned are opportunities for people to acknowledge God. Some people do, some people don't. When that is taken away, there is less and less opportunity to acknowledge God. That does not please God.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To answer your last question - no. However - the fact that the offer for prayer is given allows some people to actually pray and communicate with God. God does like that. Take that away and God gets no acknowledgement.

All of the things I mentioned are opportunities for people to acknowledge God. Some people do, some people don't. When that is taken away, there is less and less opportunity to acknowledge God. That does not please God.
But couldn't they do it on their own? I know I did not like having to say it every morning nor did I appreciate having to listen to reading from the Bible, especially the NT after lunch. It made me feel excluded rather than included and public school is for people of all beliefs and non beliefs. Any supreme being should understand that. It's not like kids couldn't pray to themselves rather than force everyone to do it and I do not see how forcing everyone to pray or read the first 4 commandments makes for a better society. Countries that do not require it are not less safe or unstable than those that do. It almost sounds like you would like everyone to pray to your God so that those who do believe do not have to think to do so and therefore not be personally responsible. Would God not be more appreciative of people praying because they want to rather than because someone else is required to lead pray at a non church setting.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM

920 posts, read 634,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
I hate God Because if he exists then he wants to destroy America. I think he is a bigoted meany. Who else shares my concern here?

The only intent to destroy America is coming from folks like you. Sadly. When our nation revered the Creator and have thanks for our blessings and prayed for his countenance, we thrived and prospered. We defeated tyranny and evil before it reached our shores. We leapt forward in the areas of medicine and food safety and technology, etc.

Then...then...a growing majority of Americans became arrogant and narcissistic and started to believe that they were superior to the Creator, that the concept of a Higher authority was a "myth." The growing majority of mere mortals decided that THEY knew better than those before them, what constitutes morality and reality.

The growing majority of Americans have decided that they are better equipped to interpret the words of the Creator and to divine God's intent.

It is ridiculous to believe that the Creator wants to destroy His creation. He gave mortals free will, and the majority have used that free will to free themselves from the blessings of God and join ranks with Ba'al.

My concern is that those of us who pray to God daily to turn the hearts of the growing majority back to Him and pray that He continue to shine his countenance upon His children and America, will be drowned out by the growing laughter of Ba'al as darkness descends over the one great nation of America.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 PM

920 posts, read 634,058 times
Quote:

The pilgrims, English separatists that came to America in 1620, were even more orthodox in their Puritan beliefs than Cromwell. As a result, Christmas was not a holiday in early America. From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. Anyone exhibiting the Christmas spirit was fined five shillings. By contrast, in the Jamestown settlement, Captain John Smith reported that Christmas was enjoyed by all and passed without incident.

After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact, Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the first Christmas under America’s new constitution. Christmas wasn’t declared a federal holiday until June 26, 1870.

More here: Christmas History in America

To your last question: I don't presume to know "what pleases [your] God. My path is only to give thanks to Him for my many blessings and to keep the covenant formed between Him and the people of my faith.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:47 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
But couldn't they do it on their own? I know I did not like having to say it every morning nor did I appreciate having to listen to reading from the Bible, especially the NT after lunch. It made me feel excluded rather than included and public school is for people of all beliefs and non beliefs. Any supreme being should understand that. It's not like kids couldn't pray to themselves rather than force everyone to do it and I do not see how forcing everyone to pray or read the first 4 commandments makes for a better society. Countries that do not require it are not less safe or unstable than those that do. It almost sounds like you would like everyone to pray to your God so that those who do believe do not have to think to do so and therefore not be personally responsible. Would God not be more appreciative of people praying because they want to rather than because someone else is required to lead pray at a non church setting.
People acknowledge God on their own all the time. However, I've never read that God had TOO much acknowledgement... or that only a certain amount of acknowledgement is adequate - then you can go about your business.

You don't understand how forcing people to pray helps a society... The presence of God among the people helps a society - period. His presence and principles for living help society.

Would I like everyone to pray to God - absolutely - especially on their own volition. I understand that won't happen.

Obviously you have an issue with forcing people to pray. No one is forcing you to pray. They can go thru the routine, you can just sit there. Happens all the time. However, whomever is mandating the prayer does acknowledge God. It's also an acknowledgement that the organization or entity offering the prayer considers God as important. So even if you don't want to pray - someone does. Again - it's simply an opportunity that you can use to your benefit or not - and God likes the acknowledgement.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Many people seem to have the idea that this country is God's country. I think that's the issue. Many think that we are special -- that God SPECIALLY created us in a way that almost rivals Israel. To punish us would mean that he would remove his favor from our country--as if he has ever promised to preserve the United States.

I don't see any reason to believe that our country is particularly special in God's eyes. Sure...it was founded by God-fearing men. Many of the first settlers in this continent were Christians...but I see no reason to believe that God has given any kind of special promise to preserve us.
Here is something we can agree on. I think the notion that we are specially privileged comes from a misattribution of the cause of the unusual prosperity we've enjoyed during most of the nation's history, and our historic support of Israel, bringing us under the "I will bless those who bless [Israel] and curse those who curse [Israel]" promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We may very well see the end of this country in my lifetime. It certainly seems that we are heading that direction.
While I'll grant you there's plenty to be concerned about even if those concerns aren't driven by the alleged Biblical proscriptions about things like gay marriage, or the false notion that the nation is departing from being a "Christian nation" (which I don't believe it ever was), I wouldn't count us out just yet.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Wanting to destroy America and not keeping it from being destroyed are two different things. Many Americans, like yourself, have told God we don't want Him. We threw Him out of schools, don't let His birth be displayed on government ground and removed His name from the holiday celebrating his birth. You're getting what you want. God is removing Himself from our lives. As an added bonus those who don't want Him in their lives will be sent away from Him through eternity.
God was never in any school. People who believed in a god were.

No one has taken the position "We don't want god", they have taken the position that those who insist that not only is there a god, but we know exactly what he wants us to do" shouldn't be allowed to promote that point of view in a school supported by public funds and open to students of all beliefs.

Finally, if humans ceased believing in a god, that would not be god removing itself from our lives anymore than would be a child's learning the reality of Santa Claus being the cause of Santa removing himself from our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality