Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 AM

750 posts, read 643,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But that's not what you are focusing on. You are focusing on the threat of hell and threatening others with hell. See your last several posts!
Thats just how this particular discussion unfolded with an atheist.

I would not bring that up under normal witnessing circumstances.

The hell thing is more fun to bring up in a debate setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
You have died and come back to life?

If not, then you nor anyone for that matter knows what exists or doesnt exists after death.
So it might be hell, right? You just know that there could be danger lurking after death, since you just know death is a gateway to the unknown.

This is why "fire and brimstone" religions like Christianity and Islam are so successful. Many a human brain knows that hell is real simply because it's an Ultimate Danger. It doesn't matter that there's no evidence for it. Many a human brain will take the threat seriously, even though the threat exists nowhere but in the human imagination.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So it might be hell, right? You just know that there could be danger lurking after death, since you just know death is a gateway to the unknown.

This is why "fire and brimstone" religions like Christianity and Islam are so successful. Many a human brain knows that hell is real simply because it's an Ultimate Danger. It doesn't matter that there's no evidence for it. Many a human brain will take the threat seriously, even though the threat exists nowhere but in the human imagination.
ever heard the expression, hope for the best, prepare for the worst?

lake of fire for eternity is about as bad as it gets.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Thats just how this particular discussion unfolded with an atheist.

I would not bring that up under normal witnessing circumstances.

The hell thing is more fun to bring up in a debate setting.
Correct, the fire and brimstone is usually reserved for after the person has joined. That's how most cults attract (and keep) followers.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
ever heard the expression, hope for the best, prepare for the worst?

lake of fire for eternity is about as bad as it gets.
Exactly! That's my whole point. The lake of fire for eternity is completely imaginary, but you'd better take the idea seriously nonetheless.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
So far as I can see, you went off topic here:

Quote:
The act is the sin. No one can live a sinful lifestyle and inherit the Kingdom of God.
The implication here is that what's wrong with a LTBS lifestyle is not harm to individuals, society or human morality but that those who do it are not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

So why should we care? because those who do not will burn. Anything much short of that and we do not care.

So, the thread has been dragged by you into why we should believe in heaven and hell, because without those (or something like) your argument is a fart into a funnel. And I am still waiting for an answer to my (related) 'What if you're wrong' point.

Off you go.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-05-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So far as I can see, you went off topic here:

The implication here is that what's wrong with a LTBS lifestyle is not harm to individuals, society or human morality but that those who do it are not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

So why should we care? because those who do not will burn. Anything much short of that and we do not care.

So, the thread has been dragged by you into why we should believe in heaven and hell, because without those (or something like) your argument is a fart into a funnel. And I am still waiting for an answer to my (related) 'What if you're wrong' point.

Off you go.
You need to ask the OP, he is the one claiming to be a Christian and wanting to adhere to Biblical teachings.

What if Christians are wrong? Most likely nothing as the God with the most probability of existing is the Christian God.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

I live in Korea atm and there are Christian churches all over every city. Ive been stopped on the street numerous times by Korean Christians spreading the word.
Well, now that you've really taken the course off thread....... tell us how this works:

You get to live in a place where there are Christian churches all over the city. A vast smorgasbord from which to choose. Now then..... What happens to all the North Koreans who aren't Christians? Do they go to hell after a lifetime spent under the oppressive thumb of an evil family? Does the lake of fire await the non-Christians who have starved to death because they were born north of the DMZ? Does that include all the 10-year-old's or is there a cut off age in your version of religion?

What about the American GI's who were killed fighting for South Korea? Are all the non-Christians in hell?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, now that you've really taken the course off thread....... tell us how this works:

You get to live in a place where there are Christian churches all over the city. A vast smorgasbord from which to choose. Now then..... What happens to all the North Koreans who aren't Christians? Do they go to hell after a lifetime spent under the oppressive thumb of an evil family? Does the lake of fire await the non-Christians who have starved to death because they were born north of the DMZ? Does that include all the 10-year-old's or is there a cut off age in your version of religion?

What about the American GI's who were killed fighting for South Korea? Are all the non-Christians in hell?
Ovcourse not.

One must REJECT God's word and gift. How can one reject something that they do not know about.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as geographic luck. It can be dispelled rather easily with examples of atheists in Christian hotbeds and Christians on every corner of the Earth. Everyone has the opportunity to accept Christ.
I've already debunked that argument. Resorting to your third fallacy, that of repeating an argument ad nauseum without rebutting my refutation will get us nowhere - except dizzy as we go 'round and 'round.

There are Christians in India just as there are Hindus in America - that says nothing AT ALL about a religion's veracity. And Christians are a small minority in India just as Hindus are a small minority in the U.S.

You seem to think that Christianity is the only religion with legs.

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, a Christian is much more safe from any eternal damnation than you.
I've already debunked this argument, as well, with Pascal's Wager and the False Dilemma. Repeating it again is like responding to my post with "nuh uh!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality