Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Who said that it's temporary? What right is right and what wrong is wrong. There is no condition to morality. Stoning adulterers has nothing to do with morality.
You can't make this stuff up, folks.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Most atheists have more morality in their little finger.

This guy is a borderline sociopath who needs and imaginary deity to stop him from committing immoral acts. Well, at least he can admit it in public.

All humans are born with an innate measuring tool for morality and ethics, it is called pleasure vs pain. Only religion tries to corrupt and pervert this natural and intrinsic truth.
Pleasure vs pain? Are you saying then a person will decide their morals based on if the action is pleasurable or not?

Actually a Christian with a born again spirit is shown a path of righteous that transcends sinful human nature. Here is an example. We can all agree that murder or rape is wrong. We don't need a law or Bible to tell us this. A sinful man's heart would desire revenge. Make the criminal suffer. Eye for an eye. But a Christian is called to forgive even those who have wronged us horribly. Holding anger and hatred for someone only poisons the soul.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What happens if someone from another community or tribe comes in and does such an act?

Communities do not exist in a vacuum. They work cooperatively for justice. The tribe is the same, and there is respect for each other.

Rape is a crime of power. The power community, laws and justice prevail. I am not telling you anything you do not know. At least I hope not.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
A universal morality does not require equal treatment of offenders. It does, however, state that the act of adultery is wrong.
So, why is it kosher so to speak to stone recalcitrant children?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So, why is it kosher so to speak to stone recalcitrant children?
That was a punishment given by God the the Israelites based on the particular time and place they were in. It was always wrong for children to be recalcitrant....but the punishment was different.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Communities do not exist in a vacuum. They work cooperatively for justice. The tribe is the same, and there is respect for each other.

Rape is a crime of power. The power community, laws and justice prevail. I am not telling you anything you do not know. At least I hope not.
Yet....even that system of morality is not universal. Using that system of morality, you have no way to judge another society, such as the Nazis.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
I would suggest you check out post 47, where I answered that. And perhaps you should make a point to look for an answer before you claim we are dodging you.
OK I missed your answer and was incorrect about no one answering. Is it still immoral to gather sticks on the Sabbath or to beat your slave not too badly or to committed genocide against a village? Those were alright in the Bible. Is the allowing a witch to live still immoral? Eating pork, shellfish etc. ?

If morals need to be universal if they are not from your god they should have to be universal if they come from him. Atheism does not support rape and murder for fun or pleasure nor even for money so Robertson was breaking one of your commandments. But that is fine for him I guess.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
That was a punishment given by God the the Israelites based on the particular time and place they were in. It was always wrong for children to be recalcitrant....but the punishment was different.
That must of been the bad god doing that talking.

Maybe Beelzebub in disguise? How would you know?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
A

Bullying is a great example. We probably can all agree that bullying is wrong, but kids do it because the culture allows it and it gives them a form of enjoyment even at the expense of crushing a peer's sense of self worth or even driving them to suicide. But if we are born with a moral compass outside of religion, kids should not be doing it period, right?
Children in parochial school bully, too. Being a bully is a matter of power, not religion. Rape is a crime of power, not sex.

We have witnessed pedophile priests abuse children and have the church hide them. Some of these young men committed suicide. These are crimes of power by men of faith. Such was their moral compass.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am disgusted by his message, and you should be disgusted. One sound bite tells me all I need to know.

If the man said Christian children should be raped and brutalized in front of their parents I am equally disgusted. What message did you hear? Where is the message when a man describes children being raped in front of their parents. Now make those your children.

Jeff, you are better than this. I know you are better than this. Do not start agreeing with this mans message. It speaks of intolerance and hate, and is just awful. Do not defend it. Do not put yourself in this man's corner. Please.
Certainly I would be disgusted if he said atheist children should be murdered in front of their parents. As someone with the spiritual gift of mercy, I can't even stand someone being rude to another person, much less brutally attacking them. But that's not what he said at all. He was just using an extreme example to make a point about morality. It takes a whole lot of injecting hyperbole into his actual words to derive at the conclusion that he is telling the audience to go hate atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality