Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 AM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff me boy!

Don't you know yet that the burden of proof falls on those that make the assertion not those that don't buy into the assertion?

All evidence points to no god type entity existing, and no evidence exists it does exist. Just like no evidence existed that Horus, Thor Zeus, or a plethora of other gods existed.

You have no proof. You only have faith.
And YOU are making the assertion that the beliefs which thousands of people have held for hundreds of years are nothing more than made up fables. Lack of evidence is not evidence. That would be the argument from silence fallacy.

And I still have 100 proofs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 AM

950 posts, read 920,776 times
We have a president who refuses to use the label............." radical Islamic terrorists"

If abortion protesting Catholics started be-heading abortion doctors, I'll bet President Obama would most certainly use the term " radical Catholics" or "radical Christians"

Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And YOU are making the assertion that the beliefs which thousands of people have held for hundreds of years are nothing more than made up fables. Lack of evidence is not evidence. That would be the argument from silence fallacy.

Over a billion devout Muslims have held their beliefs for hundreds of years, and yet you are not a Muslim. Now, why is that? Do you consider Muslim beliefs to be nothing more than made up fables?

It is your side which uses the lack of evidence as evidence: "we can't find Jesus's dead body, therefore he must have risen from the dead."

The burden of proof is on the person proposing the existence of something, it is not upon the skeptic. This has been explained to you many times. I can't disprove the existence of Bigfoot, but that is most certainly not proof that Bigfoot exists.

You do not have 100 proofs. You were given ample opportunity to present these proofs and you have not done so. You are simply "lying for Jesus" and it's no way to attract people to your religion.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
My religion does not believe in gay marriage and believes living a "gay lifestyle" is sinful.

Why should we denounce Robertson ?
Was that the same religion which believed slavery was moral?

After all, the bible does not day anything negative about slavery. It DOES tell you how to beat your slave though.

We should denounce Robertson for the same reason we should denounce slavery.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Was that the same religion which believed slavery was moral?

After all, the bible does not day anything negative about slavery. It DOES tell you how to beat your slave though.

We should denounce Robertson for the same reason we should denounce slavery.

I never read anything in the New Testament that Jesus told us ........." how to beat your slave "

If this thread is going to be a pro-atheist, pro-homosexual thread, you should have said so in your title.
But, I'll play along anyway.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:

Same goes for Mazda, Quetzalcoatl, Ra or Posiden. Millions of people for hundreds or thousands of years have believed in them. In fact, Mazda is still around and has been around longer than Yahweh. Why don't you believe in Mazda?

BTW, Jeff, do you even understand argumentum ex silentio? Or is this a phrase you just heard and you think it sounds like it makes you sound, to be kind, academically inclined?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,450,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
My religion does not believe in gay marriage and believes living a "gay lifestyle" is sinful.

Why should we denounce Robertson ?
Then people who participate in your particular religion shouldn't marry a gay or live a "gay lifestyle", whatever that is.
Just don't expect everyone else to buy in to your homophobia.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Then people who participate in your particular religion shouldn't marry a gay or live a "gay lifestyle", whatever that is.
Just don't expect everyone else to buy in to your homophobia.

Where did I say that ?

I just said that I, as a Christian who believes a homosexual lifestyle is sinful, will not urge Robertson to shut up.

Apples to oranges

He is not urging violence, be-heading gays, like the Muslim radicals are doing towards Christians,

apples to oranges

Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Not when your perception of the world is false. You can call my beliefs fables and myths all you want. At the end of the day, it is still just your opinion. If not, then the burden of proof falls on you to prove it.
Your assertion that the unbeliever's perception of the world is false, is equally your personal opinion.

The burden of proof falls on the party with the positive / extraordinary claim.

The natural world simply IS. It doesn't need proving. The supernatural world is invisible and if you wish to positively assert it then it is up to you to prove it. It is also an inherently extraordinary claim.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,950,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Your assertion that the unbeliever's perception of the world is false, is equally your personal opinion.

The burden of proof falls on the party with the positive / extraordinary claim.

The natural world simply IS. It doesn't need proving. The supernatural world is invisible and if you wish to positively assert it then it is up to you to prove it. It is also an inherently extraordinary claim.
There is no proof if you can't even explain how the natural world is. It is no more factual than what people like myself and jeffbase claims. If you can't say well this world was created without a God, then there is no definite way you can leave his teachings out of living and call it factual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality