Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:01 PM

19,941 posts, read 13,439,193 times

Advertisements

Meh, he's just filling up his time slot with speculation. Even he admitted the guy could simply have been psychotic. Although I'm surprised he didn't speculate that the guy was an atheist and how that would explain his lack of moral compass.

Previous pilot "suicides" have involved abrupt dives and even fighting over the controls with the other flight crew person. I wondered why the gradual approach here ... I think the "Occam's Razor" explanation, which will be borne out to my thinking if it turns out this guy felt powerless or victimized in some way, is that he felt, for at least the final 10 minutes of his life, in complete control of everything. I think the banging on the door, the increasingly frantic radio calls, and finally the screams from the passenger compartment, probably empowered a loser. If he was a theist, he could also punish god in the bargain, for his indifference -- not just humanity or his employer. It would fulfill his twisted concept of the "justice" that life "owed" him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,173,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This time it is former presidential candidate Pat Robertson. Why does he find it necessary to question if the copilot Germanwings was Muslim? All investigation clearly showed that he had no connection to any terrorist groups nor that he was Muslim. Robertson knew that, he likes spreading fear uncertainty and doubt.

It must be the Christian thing to do.

Pat Robertson: ‘Was the co-pilot a Muslim? Why did he want to kill all those people?’
Once again...Pat Robertson is a senile old man. Quoting him and suggesting that he is the example of Christianity makes as much sense as quoting Benny Hinn. They're both nuts and are not preaching Biblical Christianity.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Once again...Pat Robertson is a senile old man. Quoting him and suggesting that he is the example of Christianity makes as much sense as quoting Benny Hinn. They're both nuts and are not preaching Biblical Christianity.
Depends on who you talk to. Someone on the "Hinn goes to the hospital instead of a faith healer" thread, defended Hinn as a sick old man who was being kicked when he as down by us evil atheists -- NOT because he's "nuts" or inconsistent or dishonest but because he's a Christian.

That said, I don't think anyone here thinks Robertson isn't an extremist and we realize he doesn't represent more moderate pew-warmers. I think it's more that if conservative, literalist theism is taken to its inherent conclusion, this is what you get. That you are fighting that off is laudable, but it's still the elephant in the room. I had my own near misses with some of this stuff -- but for a slight deviation in my path I could have ended up in the shepherding movement, or the charismatic movement, possibly even the "casting demons out of Christians" crowd. There was plenty of it to go around.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,912,587 times
Quote:
Vizio, I agree, however there are people like jeffbase40 who excuse those antics. That is no excuse, and it harms those Christians who don't promulgate or but into this stuff.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Depends on who you talk to. Someone on the "Hinn goes to the hospital instead of a faith healer" thread, defended Hinn as a sick old man who was being kicked when he as down by us evil atheists -- NOT because he's "nuts" or inconsistent or dishonest but because he's a Christian.

That said, I don't think anyone here thinks Robertson isn't an extremist and we realize he doesn't represent more moderate pew-warmers. I think it's more that if conservative, literalist theism is taken to its inherent conclusion, this is what you get. That you are fighting that off is laudable, but it's still the elephant in the room. I had my own near misses with some of this stuff -- but for a slight deviation in my path I could have ended up in the shepherding movement, or the charismatic movement, possibly even the "casting demons out of Christians" crowd. There was plenty of it to go around.
I'm probably one of the more conservative guys on this board, theologically. Again....I will say that Robertson does not represent Biblical Christianity. You can blame it on a conservative, literalist bent...but I'm very conservative and think we should read the Bible literally...and I still think he's nuts.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,610,153 times
Quote:
But, Viz he calls himself a Christian. He has a big audience. I was at a ladies tea recently, and some at the table watch and agree with him. I do not think they connect him with a dangerous philosophy.
It is some sort of disconnect.

i can't believe i said ladies tea... hahahaha

Old 03-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm probably one of the more conservative guys on this board, theologically. Again....I will say that Robertson does not represent Biblical Christianity. You can blame it on a conservative, literalist bent...but I'm very conservative and think we should read the Bible literally...and I still think he's nuts.
As did I, back in the day, much less now.

And yet he was not so different from me. Just a tweak here and there. Basically: miracles are for today and god wants you to dare great things for him, and he'll bless you for it. Two statements you likely disagree with, and yet wide swaths of agreement. The seven fundamentals of the faith, the inerrancy of scripture, etc.

If fundamentalism is so right, how do so many go so wrong?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As did I, back in the day, much less now.

And yet he was not so different from me. Just a tweak here and there. Basically: miracles are for today and god wants you to dare great things for him, and he'll bless you for it. Two statements you likely disagree with, and yet wide swaths of agreement. The seven fundamentals of the faith, the inerrancy of scripture, etc.

If fundamentalism is so right, how do so many go so wrong?
How do they go so wrong? Honestly? My opinion is that they do so by not reading their Bible and knowing what it says. Or they may view it as a code book of sorts to figure out the secret to how God will do something, as if we can decode the secrets of Revelation. They focus more on coming up with some secret notion than to actually let it affect their lives.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:57 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times
Calling garbage, garbage is not hate speech against garbage disposal operatives. It is what they deal in.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,727,045 times
Quote:
Another Robertson spews nonsense
And in other news:
  • Water is wet.
  • The sun shines.
  • The oceans are full of water.
  • Wheels are round.
  • People are now living on the planet Earth.
  • Trees are made out of wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality