Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,270,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What makes you believe them to be correct?

Because I gather that multiple experts on language agreeing on the same subject, backed up by archaeology, is enough to say with a degree of accuracy that their opinion has a lot of merit.

Quote:

Again....because your favorite scholars told you so? Why did you believe them?
For the same reason that I could lecture you on Environmental remediation or network infrastructure; they have expertise in those fields.[/quote]

Quote:
And again...what makes the computer program correct?

Math
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,173,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Because I gather that multiple experts on language agreeing on the same subject, backed up by archaeology, is enough to say with a degree of accuracy that their opinion has a lot of merit.
Quote:

For the same reason that I could lecture you on Environmental remediation or network infrastructure; they have expertise in those fields.
yet, you choose to not believe other scholars that disagree with the ones you choose to believe.

Quote:

Math
I actually had a former career as a computer programmer. A computer program is only as good as the one programming it. The results that such a program might produce are also only as good as the one interpreting them.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
yet, you choose to not believe other scholars that disagree with the ones you choose to believe.

Pretty much none do. The only one that I know of that believes in it rather fully is Kenneth Kitchen. And while Dr. Kitchen is great on Egyptology his theories on Biblical history are simply rehashing of the same ones that William Albright championed seventy years ago. Theories that have long ago disproven. He also admits that the Biblical tale cannot be 100 percent accurate either, believing that the most likely date of the exodus being sometime 13th century for example.

Quote:
I actually had a former career as a computer programmer. A computer program is only as good as the one programming it. The results that such a program might produce are also only as good as the one interpreting them.

Yes, well this is not likely a program simply pulling "Hello world" out of an array either. I would dare say the people making something that advanced are quite skilled at what they do. Added to that the fact that peer reviewing would nitpick any flaws away.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post

Yes, well this is not likely a program simply pulling "Hello world" out of an array either. I would dare say the people making something that advanced are quite skilled at what they do. Added to that the fact that peer reviewing would nitpick any flaws away.
Readily awaiting the "GOD HATH NO PEERS" argument.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:13 PM

19,949 posts, read 13,439,193 times
Quote:
And a really good programmer has read Knuth and knows that algorithmic correctness can be mathematically (dis)proven, which I suspect is what HWC was referring to.

That said ... your are essentially correct that a program is only as good as its programmer (and the accuracy of the specifications and requirements). But I suspect you use something like Microsoft Word without the expectation that you must inspect all the source code first to make sure it is correct. And I have yet to have a single one of my customer's clients question whether the reports that they sell are backed by valid programming. Because they have good reason to believe that my client validates and tests my work first, plus they make business decisions all day every day using those reports and save a ton of money steering their decisions by the reports.

Similarly when scientists draw conclusions whether from computer program outputs or anything else it is subject to the scientific method via peer review as well as any resulting applied technology either working or not as well as congruence with the related work of others.

And I am 95% sure you already know this, which makes me wonder why you feel it necessary to call scientific work into question if it's something you don't personally understand and/or don't have the time to personally vet. That's not the way science works, or needs to work, or ought to work.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 AM

63,754 posts, read 40,011,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
He's either ignoring me, or furiously googling to see what he can come up with... He's chosen to answer other posts, but seeing he asked for some scholarly references of those who don't think that there was one author to the Pentateuch, and I provide a plethora to him, isn't it strange the silence?
Ke is NOT interested in scholars or facts. He is relying on faith. He probably believes Moses wrote the Pentateuch.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ke is NOT interested in scholars or facts. He is relying on faith. He probably believes Moses wrote the Pentateuch.
Yes, I gathered that one. Kind of like the one who kept using disproven data by Ron Wyatt a few months back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality