Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,232,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Now, Eusebius would disagree with you there. The story would suggest that shipbuilding was a known art up to fairly big size already. I can assure you that Eusebius already had Noah as a real Bronze age Da Vincent - shipwright, ferro -metallurgist, food preservation expert, bilionaire businessman, vetinary savant.. lucky he didn't have to propose that he invented it all in the first place.

I suggest that in this respect he has shown more savvy that you have and suggest you go away and have another think.
You forgot marine engineer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,545,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
You forgot marine engineer.
I sorta lumped that along with designer of the poop - conveying mechanism in with 'shipwright'.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
6 to 1 ratio.
Now go with the flow.
Ingenious How does that actually work? Don't ask me to work it out for myself. I have to take my socks off if I want to count up to 20. You explain it to me.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Hmmm, don't know if I should take the bait or not. :-)
Damn - I e mail you and up you pop like a bad conscience...Don't tell me that's coincidence.

I for one am not going to debate Noah with you yet again as we truly ground it to powder. But you might like to debate it with Hecate hellcat. I'll get the popcorn...

Old 04-06-2015, 09:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,753,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
What sort of math did Noah have to invent to ensure his sturdy vessel could endure the rigors of a three hour to...erm I mean a forty day one?
It's far worse than that.

The obviously made-up story holds that it rained for forty days. The story claims that the Earth was completely flooded for 150 days, and that it took another 220 days for the flood to subside.

That's over a year.

Then the animals were let loose upon a world completely covered in sediment (the Young Earth Creationists will be quick to claim that this is how the fossil record was laid down) with virtually all plant life destroyed (put grass or a bush or a tree or, for that matter any type of plant, under miles of ocean water for a year and it will be dead, period) and no real hope of 99% of it reviving anytime soon - most plants require something other than water-logged flood detrius to take root and grow. They would have had nothing at all to eat. Except for the carnivores, of course; they'd have eaten well for a few months, until they'd devoured all the other animals on the Ark.

So, for believers in the Bible the Ark story is either:
a) One to believe, thereby demonstrating the believer's completely detachment from anything approaching reality, or
b) One to reject, leaving the believer to then try and come up with some tortured explanation as to why we should heed anything else in a book with such an utterly and laughably wrong claim as the global flood

Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,303,605 times
The story of Noah's Ark just illustrates how stupid this god is.

Why go through all of this crap when God can just recreate all of the animals after the flood? Why make it flood at all? He could just hit the divine reset button and wipe the planet clean of humanity (except for Noah and his kin, of course) with but a thought. No muss, no fuss.

Instead, this all-powerful and super-wise being went through all of this nonsense involving 40 days of rain, Noah collecting animals, creating an impossible story for Noah to tell his grandkids, and hammering in another nail in the coffin of actually believing in these silly Bible stories.

But hey, there is nothing more grand than teaching kids in Sunday school about how God murdered everyone on the planet and celebrating how good and wonderful it was by making animals out of felt and sticking them to a big felt Noah's Ark. I always wanted to make bloated corpses out of felt and stick them in the felt water.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

So, for believers in the Bible the Ark story is either:
a) One to believe, thereby demonstrating the believer's completely detachment from anything approaching reality, or
b) One to reject, leaving the believer to then try and come up with some tortured explanation as to why we should heed anything else in a book with such an utterly and laughably wrong claim as the global flood
Their Noah is an awesome Noah.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,916,263 times
Who Invented Math? | Wonderopolis

Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM

19,793 posts, read 13,330,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Why go through all of this crap when God can just recreate all of the animals after the flood?
Dusting off my old tin-foil hat ...

To make an object lesson for all time?

To test Noah's faith?

To give the rest of humanity an opportunity to repent at Noah's preaching?

To demonstrate god's glory?

To preserve free will?

Mysterious ways?

Just because?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
It was around 945 BC was in Noah s time pretty much around the building of Solomon's temple.

Who Invented Math? | Wonderopolis
Nice site. Yes, mathematics first makes its appearance in Sumeria with just a scratched drawing of a bundle of corn and three stabbed dots. Even I can do the math and keep my socks on.
That was long before Solomon's temple, and long after the supposed date of Noah, or so I suppose. Djoser was building his pyramids 1000 plus years before and Imhotep's maths must have been pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality