Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I agree, that's why I provided this one: http://www.astirinch.com/creation/dn...f-noahs-flood/
This is the usual Creationists business of 'Interpretation'. It is possible to construct a scenario that matches what evolution had found, but squashes the timescale to fit young earth theories.

It then is necessary to debunk all Old Earth dating.

From talk origins
Quote:
Claim CB621.1:

Recent research shows the mutation rate in mitochondria much higher than previously thought (Loewe and Scherer 1997; Gibbons 1998). The date of "Mitochondrial Eve," the common maternal ancestor of all humankind, was based on that mutation rate. The revised molecular clock indicates that she lived about 6500 years ago, not about 200,000 years ago as previously claimed.

Source:

Wieland, Carl. 1998. A shrinking date for 'Eve'. Creation Ex Nihilo Technical Journal 12(1):1-3. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4055.asp
Response:

1. The claim is founded primarily on the work of Parsons et al. (1997), who found that the substitution rate was about 25 times higher in the mitochondria control region, which is less than 7% of the mitochondrial genome (mtDNA). Revised studies of all of the mtDNA find that the control region varies greatly in substitution rates in different populations, but that the rest of the mtDNA shows no such variation (Ingman et al. 2000). Using mtDNA excluding the control region, they placed the age of the most recent common mitochondrial ancestor at 171,500 +/- 50,000 years ago.

Gibbons (1998) refers to mutations that cause heteroplasmy (inheritance of two or more mtDNA sequences). This does not apply to mitochondrial Eve research, which is based only on substitution mutation rates.
  2. A study similar to the mtEve research was done on a region of the X chromosome which does not recombine with the smaller Y chromosome; it placed the most recent common ancestor 535,000 +/- 119,000 years ago (Kaessmann et al. 1999). Since the population size of X chromosomes is effectively three times larger than mitochondria (two X chromosomes from women and one from men can get inherited), the most recent common ancestor should be about three times older than that of the Mitochondrial Eve, and it is.
I haven't checked all the arguments in the site - after all, Eusebius doesn't. His usual method is to post a link and expect us to do the work. But this is just one of the bits of evidence that shows that an 'Eden' scenario doesn't really fit the dating -evidence and thus neither does a Noachian flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Your linked site does what just about every Creationist does - it jumps from point A to point C. It stinks of confirmation bias. Here's why:

Even assuming everything on that site is spot-on accurate, it proves only one thing: That at some point in our past, humans nearly became extinct.

It does not prove HOW that happened much less that it was due to a flood - and even less so, that it was a supernatural flood created by an angry god. Moreover, it does not prove AT ALL that the Biblegod created the flood, that Noah was real and that he crammed millions of animals onto a 450' long ark - only half as long as the Titanic.

That's a recurring problem with Creationists is that they leap to too many conclusions thanks to their insatiable confirmation bias.
If, as you say, they are not proving the global flood, then how can they have a comfirmation bias?

But their whole thesis is that the mtDNA proof does prove a bottleneck in our history. The only bottleneck that could work would be the global flood.
This is a snippet of what they said:

Genesis states that eight people were on the Ark: Noah and his wife, their three sons and their three wives. So:
  1. There should be signs of a population bottleneck in which humanity almost became extinct.
  2. How many different Y chromosomes were on the Ark? One – the three sons inherited their Y chromosome from Noah, and since it's only one generation down, mutations would have been little to none.
    1. So, there should be only one Y chromosome lineage today.
  3. How many different mtDNAs on the Ark for offspring? Three. The three wives of Noah's sons. (The Bible doesn't mention that Noah and his wife had any more children).
    1. So, there should be three mtDNA lineages today.
  4. These three mtDNA lineages should trace back to a single female ancestor (Biblical Eve). Proof of this would be that the three mtDNAs lineages are similar.
  5. Due to the relatively high amount of mutations humans pass down to children (approx 100 mutations per generation), and the Flood occurring about 4,500 years ago, genetic diversity in humans today should be consistent with thousands, not millions, of years. (Human history, not the age of the earth – the age of the earth is irrelevant). (end of quote)
Then they go about proving, through already proven scientific research, the 5 points above.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
A global flood happened just yesterday, but God restored everything (including the entire human population) in the last 12 hours. He miraculously got rid of all of the evidence for said flood.

You can't prove I'm wrong.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is the usual Creationists business of 'Interpretation'.
And your answer to that web site is the usual business of debunking a web site. Don't you know of any other clever things to say to debunk a web site?

Quote:
It is possible to construct a scenario that matches what evolution had found, but squashes the timescale to fit young earth theories.
I don't believe in a young earth. I don't see anything where they mention a young earth on their web site. So why do you say it?

Quote:
It then is necessary to debunk all Old Earth dating.
They never debunked an old earth dating either. What they did was debunk what scientists believe concerning evolution taking billions of years.

Quote:
From talk origins I haven't checked all the arguments in the site - after all, Eusebius doesn't. His usual method is to post a link and expect us to do the work. But this is just one of the bits of evidence that shows that an 'Eden' scenario doesn't really fit the dating -evidence and thus neither does a Noachian flood.
And you know that for a fact that I don't check the sites I post?

Funny, their whole thesis is to prove a global flood in Noah's day through mtDNA.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A global flood happened just yesterday, but God restored everything (including the entire human population) in the last 12 hours. He miraculously got rid of all of the evidence for said flood.

You can't prove I'm wrong.
I can prove a global flood didn't happen yesterday because I can prove you were posting on these boards yesterday.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I can prove a global flood didn't happen yesterday because I can prove you were posting on these boards yesterday.
God created those postings to make it look like I was posting on these boards yesterday. In fact, the entire planet was covered with water yesterday.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:45 AM

779 posts, read 484,064 times
"It hard to free fools from the chains they revere..."

Voltaire

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post

Voltaire
True, but I'm trying as hard as I can to free them.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post

Voltaire
Yup.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
God created those postings to make it look like I was posting on these boards yesterday. In fact, the entire planet was covered with water yesterday.
Shh, don't tell anyone except your psychotherapist. We have to keep this hush hush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality