Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

I'm not certain how important faith really is here since the OP didn't realize that a JW is also a Christian. And, for the person saying she should marry within her own faith, Christian plus Christian, same faith?

Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm not certain how important faith really is here since the OP didn't realize that a JW is also a Christian. And, for the person saying she should marry within her own faith, Christian plus Christian, same faith?
There are some massive theological differences between a JW and an Evangelical (if that is what she is)....or Catholic, or Lutheran, or whatever....

Old 04-08-2015, 05:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There are some massive theological differences between a JW and an Evangelical (if that is what she is)....or Catholic, or Lutheran, or whatever....
Unless Jehova's Witnesses completely forsake Paul's writings and suggestions that his followers should uptake the label of Christian, then they are still Christians.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times
Who really is a Christian? How are such identified? Using the Scriptures provides the answer

A Christian can be identified by those that worship God in spirit and truth, love, and the results of worshipping in spirit, truth as well as love (or in other words the fruitage produced).

So while there may be massive theological differences between JWs and other faiths what matters most is the effort exerted to closely follow Christ's footsteps and apply Christian principles despite our imperfect state.

It's of interest that the OP appears to make a distinction between "Christian" and a "Witness" as many do and it seems that is primarily do to rejection of the Trinity by Witnesses. From that rejection of the Trinity all sorts of ideas are formulated about Witnesses and how they view Jesus. However, the Scriptures ultimately offer the best evidence of who is a Christian.

BTW...one of the publications JWs are known for has a preamble on the inside cover in relevant part, "It promotes faith in Jesus Christ who died so that we may gain everlasting life and who is now ruling as King of God's Kingdom."

That sounds Christian to me

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
What do you think the odds are that the op will be influenced by any of these replies?
Gotta love these 'one hit' posters. First....and last....visit 4/05/2015.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What do you think the odds are that the op will be influenced by any of these replies?
Gotta love these 'one hit' posters. First....and last....visit 4/05/2015.
Yep. Although sometimes I think these 1 hit wonders are regular users that just don't want to use their regular username.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Yep. Although sometimes I think these 1 hit wonders are regular users that just don't want to use their regular username.

But, in that case, they could still come back to the thread.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
It's of interest that the OP appears to make a distinction between "Christian" and a "Witness" as many do and it seems that is primarily do to rejection of the Trinity by Witnesses. From that rejection of the Trinity all sorts of ideas are formulated about Witnesses and how they view Jesus.
Hm, I didn't even know that the JWs were unitarian ... and it never came up when I was an evangelical and taught that they are a "cult". That was based on them supposedly denying salvation by grace, the deity of Christ and Christ's physical resurrection, and having what we regarded as weird ideas about eschatology (as if our own ideas weren't weird).

Basically both the JWs and the Mormons claim that Christianity went off the rails in the early days and the true faith was only restored when their respective founders got their new and better or corrective direct revelation from god. It has always seemed fair to me that if they reject the vast majority of Christendom, as in, all but the first couple hundred years, which in truth no one is sure what that was exactly like anyway ... then they should not be surprised to find mainstream Christianity rejecting them as ... well, Christians.

Personally I have no skin in the game anymore one way or the other but due to my evangelical background tend to mentally classify them as a fork of Christianity rather than a direct part of it. And I don't actually think that's an unfair characterization, but I know Mormons and JWs desperately want to be regarded as Christians despite their rejection of historic Christianity, so whatever floats their boat I guess.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hm, I didn't even know that the JWs were unitarian ... and it never came up when I was an evangelical and taught that they are a "cult". That was based on them supposedly denying salvation by grace, the deity of Christ and Christ's physical resurrection, and having what we regarded as weird ideas about eschatology (as if our own ideas weren't weird).

Basically both the JWs and the Mormons claim that Christianity went off the rails in the early days and the true faith was only restored when their respective founders got their new and better or corrective direct revelation from god. It has always seemed fair to me that if they reject the vast majority of Christendom, as in, all but the first couple hundred years, which in truth no one is sure what that was exactly like anyway ... then they should not be surprised to find mainstream Christianity rejecting them as ... well, Christians.

Personally I have no skin in the game anymore one way or the other but due to my evangelical background tend to mentally classify them as a fork of Christianity rather than a direct part of it. And I don't actually think that's an unfair characterization, but I know Mormons and JWs desperately want to be regarded as Christians despite their rejection of historic Christianity, so whatever floats their boat I guess.
The difference between Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses in this regard is that while both groups believe their church teaches the complete truth (as opposed to partial truth), Mormons are unlike Jehovah's Witnesses in that they don't judge everybody else as worshipping a false God and destined to be destroyed at death. What we tell people is that they should continue to believe everything they do believe that is true, but allow us to add to those truths with additional truths. And even if they don't choose to do so, we don't believe that means they're enemies to God or He to them.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmomlovesawitness View Post
Hello all my boyfriend is a Jehovah witness and i am a Christian

There you go. That's your problem. Water and Oil. Will not mix into a stable solution. Not fond of JW"s. Way too radical weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality