Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times

Advertisements

I'm not a churchgoer either and I do just fine.
Don't stress about it. Get your family and maybe some friends together and have your own church group, if it's that important to you.
God doesn't care where you worship him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I was just wondering what you think of people who don't have a church family. We have tried churches in our area, but were uncomfortable. We are Presbyterian and there are none in our small town. We would have to drive approximately an hour one way to find one. We tried a church that I can see from our front window, but were so very uncomfortable. It was so patterned that if you didn't attend every Sunday you would be lost and lost we were! The people were very nice, but we felt like outsiders. I often feel an outsider in church.

I feel I am very much a Christian. I read the Bible, I pray AND talk a lot to God. My son seems to think I'm a little touched when he overhears me talking to God. We pray and give thanks at meals and before bedtime. I donate to worthy causes. I'm just not sure about the whole church business. I grew up going to church with my grandmother every Sunday. She lived with us and would take me. My sisters preferred not to attend and my parents worked.

I would so like opinions on this because I almost feel like God won't accept me since I don't worship in his house.
His house is within you. No building is the way to God. Your goals are not to achieve the acceptance of man, but that of God. If you continue to serve him and his interests, the fact that you are not at a Church each Sunday means nothing. You can worship him anywhere you are, bring him glory and praise at any place. No specific day is one to which we give to God and take the rest for ourselves, all days are his and all days should we seek to glorify him.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
I was just wondering what you think of people who don't have a church family. We have tried churches in our area, but were uncomfortable. We are Presbyterian and there are none in our small town. We would have to drive approximately an hour one way to find one. We tried a church that I can see from our front window, but were so very uncomfortable. It was so patterned that if you didn't attend every Sunday you would be lost and lost we were! The people were very nice, but we felt like outsiders. I often feel an outsider in church.

I feel I am very much a Christian. I read the Bible, I pray AND talk a lot to God. My son seems to think I'm a little touched when he overhears me talking to God. We pray and give thanks at meals and before bedtime. I donate to worthy causes. I'm just not sure about the whole church business. I grew up going to church with my grandmother every Sunday. She lived with us and would take me. My sisters preferred not to attend and my parents worked.

I would so like opinions on this because I almost feel like God won't accept me since I don't worship in his house.
God has already accepted you... that is without question. All we need to do is accept the free gift... and I suspect you have.

I'm originally from NM (Carlsbad) so I know the distances involved with finding a church home. However a 1 hr trip lets say... once a month with some of your friends might be fun ... and not only bring additional peace and joy in your life... but might provide for an outlet to enjoy the rest of the day. Church shouldn't be spiritually diminishing... it should provide spiritual feeding.

I know some churches have a pickup point for distant visiters... and maybe you might be able to spear-head that ministry! Think of the other wonderful people out there, just like you, who have the same needs! I would connect with the church you like, and speak with the pastor. I know many churches are poor in NM... but think how God can make what seems so challenging a actual blessing in our lives. It does take faith, but your spirit is very evident.

The parable of the sower... and blessings to you in your search.

I have prayed for you, that you will find a church home. Amen

Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Homewardbound...It took me many years to accept the concept that church is not a building, built by man, run by men and has rules made by man..The scriptual church is within you..Imo, you will find members of the church in very unlikely places besides a building..I have dropped out of organized religion for reasons I have posted all over this forum..I have grown more in Christ and have gained more faith since I went "inside myself" and found the Holy Spirit was willing and eager to guide me..I believe that every building has members of Gods Church inside no matter what the members call their denomination or religion..I could go into any building of any religion and feel that I was in the company of some of Gods Church members because He did say that where two or three are gathered in my name, I am in the midst..This does not mean that you can only worship if that criteria is met..God desires a personal relationship with you that can only be found within yourself..If we are believers we are brothers and sisters in Christ..I have found many people on this forum that I connect with spiritually.. A few days ago I realized that it was not by chance that I came to this forum..I have connected with people of all faiths, religions and denominations within and even athiests and agnostics, whom I have come to love, and accept as brothers and sisters..I have come to the conclusion that there is a purpose for all of us whether we ever figure it out or not...

Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I am in church in a garden, forest, at the ocean, mountains, top of the Hancock building, looking in my childs eyes, being helpful to my obnoxious mother in law and forgiving/forgetting the driver who stole my parking space.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM

40 posts, read 83,337 times
If you don't go to church...

you will save a lot of time

Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times
Default Excellent points.

I so wholeheartedly agree.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Your relationship with the Lord has nothing to do with what building you may ever enter or not. It is between you and god, no one else. What matters is what is in your heart, and the ongoing relationship you have, which from your posts is clearly alive and well and thriving. It is heartwarming to read your posts, thank you. Trust your heart on this one and as others have said, follow your own path, you know what is best for you and your family, no one else.

God loves you regardless, he is interested in the relationship with you, not where it takes place and on what day. Besides, all of these are places of worship when we choose them to be so: car, forest, living room, bedroom, grocery store, sidewalk, dinner table, kitchen....

Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 PM

396 posts, read 923,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
If you don't go to church...

you will save a lot of time
...and a lot of money which you could spend on your kids.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 AM

245 posts, read 625,344 times
you will burn in hell for all time! realy though does it say anywhere in your bible you have to go to church? I remember something about not building temples, but nothing about going to church

Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:

In the Catholic world we take John 6:53 seriously. The eucharist is the very core and reason of the mass. If you don't go, you don't receive.

I heard this analogy once. A person not going to Church is like a single coal that gets separated from the pile of burning coal. It quickly looses heat and becomes cold. Every single coal needs to stay together to get heat from every other piece of coal. We Christians draw strength from each other.

What about the commandment of remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. If you don't go to church, then every day becomes just like any other day and then what day would be that holy day. And if you are breaking a commandment, you are separating yourself from God.

Another reason, is that Christ is NEVER about us, but what we can do for our fellow man. We shouldn't wall ourselves off, but rather we should enjoy the fellowship of our brothers and sister in Christ at LEAST one day a week. If God is important as you say He is to you, then spend the hour or two. It's worth it. He expects it.

Yes, you can find God anywhere, but I guarantee you if ALL churches were disbanded and their congregations never met again, Christianity would fade into eternity and God would just be a statue in a museum.

I guess sometimes distance makes that close to impossible to get to church, but if that isn't the case, well then, go.

Last edited by juj; 02-05-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality