Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
The fire I draw from is not other people, but the holy spirit of my Creator that is available to me at all times, and it's more like the molten core of the earth or a blast furnace than a coal. People are more likely to lead me astray, when I go to god it's all good.
I want you to know that the coal analogy is from a Methodist Pastor, not a Catholic priest. Your strength, though great and probably untested, is not very common and since God knows our weaknesses, has given us a Church started by Jesus himself, so that we many be in Communion with not only the Father and the Son, but the His Body known as the Church.

I my humble opinion, I just think nine out of ten Christians who don't go to Church don't go because they simply are lazy and find that it is too much trouble to take the time to actually go to Church and not because of any self proclaimed inner strength. Then they rationalize their behavior by saying God is everywhere and they really don't need to go. Ah, free will, it's a blessing and a curse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I want you to know that the coal analogy is from a Methodist Pastor, not a Catholic priest. Your strength, though great and probably untested, is not very common and since God knows our weaknesses, has given us a Church started by Jesus himself, so that we many be in Communion with not only the Father and the Son, but the His Body known as the Church.

I my humble opinion, I just think nine out of ten Christians who don't go to Church don't go because they simply are lazy and find that it is too much trouble to take the time to actually go to Church and not because of any self proclaimed inner strength. Then they rationalize their behavior by saying God is everywhere and they really don't need to go. Ah, free will, it's a blessing and a curse.
realy, thats not a very humble position. it seems very much to me that 9 out of ten people who claim to be christians but dont go to church mearly claim to be christian because its traditional in there families or out of a justified fear of persecution

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
well that depends on your point of view. most ancient cultures, like the aboriginies, americans, ancient celts.. etc did, and do, have a story of creation they are for the most part ancestor worshipers and overall find the creator to be irrelevent in there lives and beliefs
Then you don't know about and have not taken the time to educate yourself on the beliefs of the aborigines and other indigenous nations. Those entire CULTURES were premised on the holiness of life in every moment, not just here and there in a certain building or on a certain day of the week.

That concept is so foreign to most "modern Americans" that there is not even a touchstone to compare it to. Think of a society where EVERYONE is holy, where EVERYONE takes it for granted that the Creator is behind and within everyone and everything. That is the essence of holiness and reverence for the Creator. That is what the indigenous peoples lived daily. The closest many "modern Americans" come to is "what religion are you and what do you believe" it is that extraneous to the current way of being. Quite frankly today in USA a person is considered a freak if they speak to others about what is holy, or seek to pray or honor the creator in daily life in public!

As far as "ancestor worship" I don't know what you mean by that at all.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Homewardbound...It took me many years to accept the concept that church is not a building, built by man, run by men and has rules made by man..The scriptual church is within you..Imo, you will find members of the church in very unlikely places besides a building..I have dropped out of organized religion for reasons I have posted all over this forum..I have grown more in Christ and have gained more faith since I went "inside myself" and found the Holy Spirit was willing and eager to guide me..I believe that every building has members of Gods Church inside no matter what the members call their denomination or religion..I could go into any building of any religion and feel that I was in the company of some of Gods Church members because He did say that where two or three are gathered in my name, I am in the midst..This does not mean that you can only worship if that criteria is met..God desires a personal relationship with you that can only be found within yourself..If we are believers we are brothers and sisters in Christ..I have found many people on this forum that I connect with spiritually.. A few days ago I realized that it was not by chance that I came to this forum..I have connected with people of all faiths, religions and denominations within and even athiests and agnostics, whom I have come to love, and accept as brothers and sisters..I have come to the conclusion that there is a purpose for all of us whether we ever figure it out or not...
Brother, there are are many truths to what you say, but your perception of the Church is simply false. Jesus created His Church for you (Matthew 16:13-19). Just because it took many years to come to your personal conclusions about the Church and it's relationship to you doesn't make it truth. The Ancient Egyptians were around for a few years themselves and completely missed the boat. The Roman Empire was ruling for a 1000 years (4 times longer than the U.S.) and got it all wrong.

I just don't think Jesus would create something only to say, well, we don't REALLY need it, I guess. Well, it seemed right at the time. In John 6:45-58, He declares that we must eat His Flesh and drink His Blood or we will have no life in us. One of the few places I know to receive Jesus's Body and Blood is the Catholic Church. If you have a Jesus R Us by your house, let me know where you live, because I will move there.

Another issue is self-interpretation of the Bible. Alone we just scratch and claw through the Bible knowing not much what of we read because of confusing text, ancient wording, ancient word meanings, ancient settings, "on-the-surface" conflicting verses, etc. But with the Church's Majesteriam, all that fog can be lifted away because of the knowledge that Jesus gave His Authority to Peter and then on to every priest, bishop, cardinal, and pope that ever lived to interpret the meaning of God's word.

Again, I say if no one went to Church, Christ's word would grow cold and flicker out. The Church is the focal point where folks can hear the Gospel and allows His people to come together for one purpose, His purpose, with single direction and energy. What's the old adage: United we stand, divided we fall.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Then you don't know about and have not taken the time to educate yourself on the beliefs of the aborigines and other indigenous nations. Those entire CULTURES were premised on the holiness of life in every moment, not just here and there in a certain building or on a certain day of the week.

That concept is so foreign to most "modern Americans" that there is not even a touchstone to compare it to. Think of a society where EVERYONE is holy, where EVERYONE takes it for granted that the Creator is behind and within everyone and everything. That is the essence of holiness and reverence for the Creator. That is what the indigenous peoples lived daily. The closest many "modern Americans" come to is "what religion are you and what do you believe" it is that extraneous to the current way of being. Quite frankly today in USA a person is considered a freak if they speak to others about what is holy, or seek to pray or honor the creator in daily life in public!

As far as "ancestor worship" I don't know what you mean by that at all.
the "holiness of life in every moment does not imply creator worship, they believe themselves to be a part of the world and one of its inhabitents, not speciel or above it.
you realy dont know what ancestor worship is? well i'm not getting anthropolgy 101, christians practice it as well in a way, although they would be loath to admit it

Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
I gave up church for Lent

...seriously though, when I haven't gone to Mass in awhile I feel a longing for it. I like the worship and ceremony. The fellowship is nice too.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
realy, thats not a very humble position. it seems very much to me that 9 out of ten people who claim to be christians but dont go to church mearly claim to be christian because its traditional in there families or out of a justified fear of persecution
Ouch, you got me pegged... in my humble opinion

Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM

58 posts, read 80,888 times
A church is just a building, it's the people there that make it what it is. You can pray to God, talk to God, and have spiritual experiences and encounters without ever stepping foot inside a church. God isn't a building.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I was just wondering what you think of people who don't have a church family. We have tried churches in our area, but were uncomfortable. We are Presbyterian and there are none in our small town. We would have to drive approximately an hour one way to find one. We tried a church that I can see from our front window, but were so very uncomfortable. It was so patterned that if you didn't attend every Sunday you would be lost and lost we were! The people were very nice, but we felt like outsiders. I often feel an outsider in church.

I feel I am very much a Christian. I read the Bible, I pray AND talk a lot to God. My son seems to think I'm a little touched when he overhears me talking to God. We pray and give thanks at meals and before bedtime. I donate to worthy causes. I'm just not sure about the whole church business. I grew up going to church with my grandmother every Sunday. She lived with us and would take me. My sisters preferred not to attend and my parents worked.

I would so like opinions on this because I almost feel like God won't accept me since I don't worship in his house.
Well, I would say that it has nothing to do with your salvation, but Christ does encourage us to meet and worship with fellow believers. If you can't find a Presbyterian church nearby, maybe try another denomonation. I understand the desire to worship with others of your denomonation (I'm Presbyterian too ), but that doesn't mean you can't worship with say.... Baptists or something.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
In the Catholic world we take John 6:53 seriously. The eucharist is the very core and reason of the mass. If you don't go, you don't receive.

I heard this analogy once. A person not going to Church is like a single coal that gets separated from the pile of burning coal. It quickly looses heat and becomes cold. Every single coal needs to stay together to get heat from every other piece of coal. We Christians draw strength from each other.

What about the commandment of remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. If you don't go to church, then every day becomes just like any other day and then what day would be that holy day. And if you are breaking a commandment, you are separating yourself from God.

Another reason, is that Christ is NEVER about us, but what we can do for our fellow man. We shouldn't wall ourselves off, but rather we should enjoy the fellowship of our brothers and sister in Christ at LEAST one day a week. If God is important as you say He is to you, then spend the hour or two. It's worth it. He expects it.

Yes, you can find God anywhere, but I guarantee you if ALL churches were disbanded and their congregations never met again, Christianity would fade into eternity and God would just be a statue in a museum.

I guess sometimes distance makes that close to impossible to get to church, but if that isn't the case, well then, go.
Well this makes SO much sense and I love the analogy of the coal because I often feel that way when I'm disconnected from fellow believers. We are going to try a church that's within 45 minutes of our home this Sunday and I have to say I am VERY excited. They seem to have a wonderful youth group and things for me to volunteer for. I miss the volunteering and the fellowship.

I really appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you all so much and God bless the fellow that prayed I would find a church because I am really hoping I have!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality