U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:20 PM
 
5,177 posts, read 4,831,948 times
Reputation: 1581

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/19190054966...type=1&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:22 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 11,136,157 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I've seen that before. Good summary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM
 
3,237 posts, read 1,866,150 times
Reputation: 1239
Its very clever, but clearly written by someone who is not really interested in understanding what non-believers actually think...

It is an impressive blow struck to that villainous strawman, though.
I am sure you will defeat it one of these days, just keep swinging...

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 11,136,157 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Its very clever, but clearly written by someone who is not really interested in understanding what non-believers actually think...
Do you have a common creed that you all subscribe to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 PM
 
3,237 posts, read 1,866,150 times
Reputation: 1239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you have a common creed that you all subscribe to?
Nope, but quite a few of those "beliefs" are clearly written to reflect how evangelical Christians perceive atheism, without regard to the thought and nuance that is present in our actual beliefs. It is a caricature, as much as if I assume that you handle snakes because you are an inerrantist... We both know that that is a misrepresentation. If you can't see where some of what that clever propaganda piece is not an accurate representation of the broader atheist viewpoint, it is because you are intentionally not trying.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 11,136,157 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Nope, but quite a few of those "beliefs" are clearly written to reflect how evangelical Christians perceive atheism, without regard to the thought and nuance that is present in our actual beliefs. It is a caricature, as much as if I assume that you handle snakes because you are an inerrantist... We both know that that is a misrepresentation. If you can't see where some of what that clever propaganda piece is not an accurate representation of the broader atheist viewpoint, it is because you are intentionally not trying.

-NoCapo
So, while you claim there is no common creed, you are quick to point out that we don't understand how you all think and what you all believe? Even though there is no common, standard belief among you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
26,598 posts, read 14,949,446 times
Reputation: 14800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So, while you claim there is no common creed, you are quick to point out that we don't understand how you all think and what you all believe? Even though there is no common, standard belief among you.
Well, for example you keep needing to have pointed out to you that atheist do not share any common creed apart from non belief in a god.

So, there is no common creed....and you don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:57 PM
 
6,161 posts, read 2,412,903 times
Reputation: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So, while you claim there is no common creed, you are quick to point out that we don't understand how you all think and what you all believe? Even though there is no common, standard belief among you.
No creed.

No one needs to refer to a piece of paper, or book to define their belief.

You seem confused about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM
 
3,237 posts, read 1,866,150 times
Reputation: 1239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So, while you claim there is no common creed, you are quick to point out that we don't understand how you all think and what you all believe? Even though there is no common, standard belief among you.
Sure, because you are imputing a Christian flavored worldview to us. You are looking at atheism through your own lenses and assuming we see it the same way. We don't. Even, and perhaps especially, those of us who shared your worldview at one time.

And yes there is variation within atheism. There is no common creed, simply a lack of belief. We range from skeptics to cynics, to positivists, to humanists, and just about any other viewpoint you can imagine that does not include a god. It is the same way in Christianity. Can you point to any common creed that self-described Christians universally adhere to? Yet there still is a core worldview which is at least statistically dominant. So it is for non-believers.

Bottom line, it is a skewed perspective of atheist thought that the original link presents, so while it is clever in construction, it is not very persuasive. It is a nice piece if your goal is to pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself that you are, "... not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector."

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM
 
6,852 posts, read 2,557,888 times
Reputation: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Its very clever, but clearly written by someone who is not really interested in understanding what non-believers actually think...

It is an impressive blow struck to that villainous strawman, though.
I am sure you will defeat it one of these days, just keep swinging...

-NoCapo
Right, I keep forgetting that atheists believe in non-belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top