Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I don't think gays and gay advocates care if you love them or not, they just want to be treated like you would treat anyone else. They're not looking for love, they just don't want to feel hate.

As far as vandalizing property or other crimes, those people are criminals and shouldn't be linked to any group or any advocates, criminals are criminals, so i dont think blaming gays or the gay rights cause is fair for the bad behavior of a small number of idiots.

That would be like blaming fans of a sports team because some vandals overturned cars during a championship celebration.
Exactly. As an aside, I think we should keep that in mind about Muslims as well. Just because a tiny minority of Muslims commit violent acts doesn't mean all Muslims are violent. Generalizations about any group are a dangerous thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:59 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You don't read many of Jeff's posts. He constantly obsesses over anal sex. Others have commented on the same thing. And I didn't say that about him. A psychologist who did a research study said that. I just quoted it. Apparently he thinks it might fit.

You are not like him in that respect, but then again neither of you has ever had an original thought.

Would either of you like to play the "persecuted Christian" card ----again?
I've seen this tactic before. It really is scraping the barrel. Basically, instead of having an honest conversation about homosexuality, your comeback is hey, maybe you really are gay since you talk so much about it! Complete baseless garbage. It was meant as a dig to ruffle my feathers, not a honest observation.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No ... and I'm really tired of repeating this.

YOU are being granted a choice. We want people to be free enough to choose who they want to marry. You don't have to marry someone of the same gender if you don't want to, but what YOU want to do is limit choice, to restrict freedom -- and you wish to do so because of your religion which the government can't endorse or support anyway. That's why all of the bans have been struck down.
There should be limits to freedom. We don't live in an absolute freedom society. You can't even hunt or fish without a license. When the freedom of gays intersects with religion, something has to give. What you want is for people to give up their freedom of religion in favor for gays. And all over something minor like a wedding cake that in the grand scheme of things is a minor inconvenience for a gay person versus a moral violation for Christian people.

In that sense, yes you are demanding that we believe like you believe. Demanding that we accept SSM as being equal as straight. It's not.

Quote:

Our rights are not infinite. Your right to practice your religion ends the moment you interfere with someone else's rights. That's "not what I'm doing right now." I'm not forcing homosexuality onto you, your marriage or your household. YOU, on the other hand, are forcing your religion onto the LGBT community, and that's why what I'm doing is completely and utterly different.
But it's ok if their rights interfere with our religious rights. Their rights should always come first huh? Your inability to see the double standard is frustrating. OTOH, it is the LGBT community who wants to force us to accept their lifestyle as normal and natural. Traditional marriage has been in place of thousands of years. There has never been a need to define marriage until now. It is the LGBT that wants to force change. That's forcing their beliefs onto us not the other way around.

Quote:

Oh yeah, and Christianity doesn't own marriage. It never has given that marriage is far older than Judaism or Christianity. In addition, the only part of a marriage that actually counts is the government portion. You can have just a church wedding, but the state won't recognize it ... but you can get married by the state without a church wedding and still be recognized by the government.
If marriage was simply just a legal document, gay people should be perfectly happen with a non-religious civil union. No, they want to be called married because it is a social symbol that all members of society will have to accept on many levels.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There should be limits to freedom. We don't live in an absolute freedom society. You can't even hunt or fish without a license. When the freedom of gays intersects with religion, something has to give. What you want is for people to give up their freedom of religion in favor for gays. And all over something minor like a wedding cake that in the grand scheme of things is a minor inconvenience for a gay person versus a moral violation for Christian people.

In that sense, yes you are demanding that we believe like you believe. Demanding that we accept SSM as being equal as straight. It's not.

But it's ok if their rights interfere with our religious rights. Their rights should always come first huh? Your inability to see the double standard is frustrating. OTOH, it is the LGBT community who wants to force us to accept their lifestyle as normal and natural. Traditional marriage has been in place of thousands of years. There has never been a need to define marriage until now. It is the LGBT that wants to force change. That's forcing their beliefs onto us not the other way around.

If marriage was simply just a legal document, gay people should be perfectly happen with a non-religious civil union. No, they want to be called married because it is a social symbol that all members of society will have to accept on many levels.

Every marriage is a civil union. You cannot get married with out a license issued by the State. Your religious ceremony is superfluous to marriage. There are ministers and churches marrying LGBTQ couples. How do you reconcile that?

Traditional marriage used to include dowry, cows, and goats, and money. Fathers were paying someone to take their daughter off their hands. Dad then sweetened the pot with a goat or two.

So much for the traditional marriage definition.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:

If marriage was simply just a legal document, gay people should be perfectly happen with a non-religious civil union. No, they want to be called married .
You got it almost right
All most do want is a non-religious civil union which also is called a marriage because it is a social symbol that all members of society accept on many levels.
Go worry about what your church does and stop worrying about what happens civilly.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I've seen this tactic before. It really is scraping the barrel. Basically, instead of having an honest conversation about homosexuality, your comeback is hey, maybe you really are gay since you talk so much about it! Complete baseless garbage. It was meant as a dig to ruffle my feathers, not a honest observation.
It will dig at your feathers only if you believe being gay is a bad thing. It is not. There. Now you know. There is nothing wrong with being gay. No need to worry and get upset if someone thinks you're gay.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-07-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
We should stop worrying about LGBTQ and their health risks. They are adults capable of making their own decisions.

We should worry about children with no information about sex. It is a spiritual issue for parents. Twenty children in one Texas HS have the same STD. Those are only the kids who were diagnosed and treated. This school policy is abstinence only education.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

I know this has been mentioned at least 3 times in this thread, and you were informed the first time you brought it up that civil unions are not just as good as marriage. A civil union does not qualify a couple to file a joint tax return, or to establish Social Security survivor rights. There are another 1100 or so benefits to married couples, just under federal law.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It will dig at your feathers only if you believe being gay is a bad thing. It is not. There. Now you know. There is nothing wrong with being gay. No need to worry and get upset if someone thinks you're gay.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'm also entitled to my opinion that homosexuality is unnatural and a sin. The human body alone confirms it.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I'm also entitled to my opinion that homosexuality is unnatural and a sin.
Yes you are. And your many posts about gay sex, STDs and body parts make it clear just how much you enjoy telling people your opinion.

Carry on. Maybe your extensive research on homosexuality will reveal a link between gay sex and space aliens and you'll be able to share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality