Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Excellent! Be sure and congratulate them on their marriage when you deliver it.
Why can't I be a good neighbor and still not support same sex marriage? Is that really impossible in your book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No one is excusing death threats but the fine is the legal result of a BUSINESS violating the law . . . NOT individual persons exercising their religion. Discrimination is an important ability of human cognition . . . so it is NOT wrong, per se. It is the REASONS for it that are at issue. Religious reasons involving your specific beliefs about your God are NOT valid reasons for BUSINESS discrimination against others, jeff. They can inform and direct your PERSONAL behavior and treatment of others . . . but they cannot inform and direct your BUSINESS behavior and treatment of others. YOUR beliefs about YOUR morality are YOUR concern . . . NOT the morality of others you do business with. LEGALITY governs those relationships, period.
It's the law, it's the law! You're not saying nothing I haven't heard countless times here. And I completely reject it so why keep bothering? It's obvious you won't listen to anyone who doesn't always agree with u.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
No one is excusing death threats but the fine is the legal result of a BUSINESS violating the law . . . NOT individual persons exercising their religion. Discrimination is an important ability of human cognition . . . so it is NOT wrong, per se. It is the REASONS for it that are at issue. Religious reasons involving your specific beliefs about your God are NOT valid reasons for BUSINESS discrimination against others, jeff. They can inform and direct your PERSONAL behavior and treatment of others . . . but they cannot inform and direct your BUSINESS behavior and treatment of others. YOUR beliefs about YOUR morality are YOUR concern . . . NOT the morality of others you do business with. LEGALITY governs those relationships, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's the law, it's the law! You're not saying nothing I haven't heard countless times here. And I completely reject it so why keep bothering? It's obvious you won't listen to anyone who doesn't always agree with u.
You can reject it all you like but it changes nothing. The only laws we are discussing here are the ones governing the operation of a BUSINESS . . . which is NOT part of your religious freedom, jeff. BUSINESSES operate as a privilege and must adhere to the requirements set by the Constitution and the State.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Why can't I be a good neighbor and still not support same sex marriage? Is that really impossible in your book?

All fine as long as that delicious cake you bake is not served with HIV stats.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Why can't I be a good neighbor and still not support same sex marriage?

Do the fundamentalists have a "good neighbor" limit?

"Hi. Here's your cake. I'll pick up the cake plate later because I'm late for the protest against gay marriage."

Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
You can reject it all you like but it changes nothing. The only laws we are discussing here are the ones governing the operation of a BUSINESS . . . which is NOT part of your religious freedom, jeff. BUSINESSES operate as a privilege and must adhere to the requirements set by the Constitution and the State.
You do realize that American citizens are allowed to protest laws and advocate for change, right?

Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Do the fundamentalists have a "good neighbor" limit?

"Hi. Here's your cake. I'll pick up the cake plate later because I'm late for the protest against gay marriage."
Fine ignore my question then.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Fine ignore my question then.
Why do YOU ignore questions, Jeff? Shirina has asked you dozens and dozens that you have failed to answer. Your double standard is showing. Not good.

Now.. back to that cake you'll be making....Do you plan on writing anything on the top? "Gay Sex Spreads Disease" isn't exactly friendly. How about: "Gay Marriage Creates Families." That would be much more neighborly.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Here's a great video about how homophobia feels to gay people. If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, start at 12:17. That's where they really get down to how homophobes behave today. They explain the ridiculousness of the fixation on anal sex very well. It's definitely worth a watch.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Why do YOU ignore questions, Jeff? Shirina has asked you dozens and dozens that you have failed to answer. Your double standard is showing. Not good.

Now.. back to that cake you'll be making....Do you plan on writing anything on the top? "Gay Sex Spreads Disease" isn't exactly friendly. How about: "Gay Marriage Creates Families." That would be much more neighborly.
Umm because I have 20 people throwing replies at me at once? I already spent too much time here as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality