Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,130,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not usually. I'm not a big television person. It doesn't go on sometimes for days. Why?

Are you going to tell me that because you see radical Muslims doing terrible things in the Middle East, it follows that all Muslims should therefore automatically be considered to be the same as the ones committing atrocities? Should I be suspicious of the young woman in my office who is putting together our procedures manual because she wears a headscarf?

Did you forget that I am a 9/11 survivor? I've said it enough times on here. I'll say it again.

I spent twenty years working in a place where people of all religions and races and countries of origin and whatever differences you can think of worked together side by side and got along. People seem to completely miss the irony that this place, one of the few in the country or even the world that had that sort of dynamic, was destroyed by people who looked at everyone inside as a "THEM", an enemy that needed to be destroyed. While it was not good that they attacked the Pentagon, it is a military installation and a little more understandable. The World Trade Center? It was everyone in the world, just going to work. People from ninety countries killed, all races, all religions.

Since that day and until the day I die I will sing this song: Do not judge or make assumptions about a human being because of what another has done. Unless you KNOW that a person, or even a group of people like ISIS who has declared their intent plainly, thinks a certain way, you must take the risk and be open to the possibility of who that person is. Not doing so makes you of the same mindset as the terrorists.
I've met people from all different religions that are very nice people. You will not see me saying that everyone of a particular religion is a terrorist, or that they are a bad person.
Quote:
You know, Vizio, when you first appeared on these board claiming to be a pastor, I thought you were lying. You do not sound kind.
Because I have said pointed out the fact that the great majority of terrorist bombings are done by people self-identifying as Muslims? Really? You think that's unkind?
Quote:

You do not sound like a person who understands the message of Jesus. You never listen to what others have to say or seriously consider their words or their points of view--just always look to argue with them. Now I do believe you are a pastor, but I don't believe you've ever done any self-examination, any looking inward to see if you are the person you are supposed to be. I know I am not the person I should be, and I never will be the person I should be, but I do try to look at myself constantly to see where I am going wrong.

As one Christian to another, I ask you to take up that practice.
I'm sorry you feel that way. This is a discussion board. That's what we do here. We discuss, and we argue a little bit. I'm sorry if me speaking the truth offends. I really do not set out to offend you. My only curiosity would be if you're as offended by the many atheists and agnostics that make it a habit to try to tick off the religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM

898 posts, read 1,214,270 times
these muslims are animals yet the others blowing themselves up and the saudis chopping off hands are not? the entire religion is barbaric.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 PM

430 posts, read 479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do not judge or make assumptions about a human being because of what another has done.
most people here are mature enough not to do that. rather what is blamed is the religion of islam.

its obvious the world would be a much better place the more muslims left islam and followed a different religion instead. or become atheists and agnostics.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,017,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
these muslims are animals yet the others blowing themselves up and the saudis chopping off hands are not? the entire religion is barbaric.

Like most Muslims I consider myself to be at least partially civilized,
1. I have never killed any one except in war while serving in the USAF Military, (But, I was Christian at the time)
2. I have never partaken in a suicide bombing
3. I donate regularly to US charities, notably those dealing with Native American welfare
5. I have never tried to force anyone to accept Islam and do not believe in prosylitizing my beliefs.
6. I do not belief Sharia laws should be imposed upon non-Muslims.
7. I believe that if I can not follow the laws of a nation, I am obligated to leave that Nation.

I find that the majority of Muslims I personally know believe the same things.

Under biological taxonomy using the Linnean classification system I am classified as an animal
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Theria
Infraclass: Eutheria
Order: Primates
Suborder: Anthropoidea
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: sapiens

I have no objection being called an animal nor do I find it insulting

Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 PM

898 posts, read 1,214,270 times
7. I believe that if I can not follow the laws of a nation, I am obligated to leave that Nation.

yes you are an exception to the rule. go look at all the media available on how europe is becoming eurabia. have you seen the mosques-turned-jihadi-recruiting-stations in london? first that meat cleaver attack and recently charlie hebdo in france. there were many other incidents as well like the july 7 bombing of the bus. there are no-go zones in london for non-muslims in bangladeshi areas. those people do not want to assimilate. there are news and videos over how muslims use sharia law over british law. just because you feel that way does not mean the avg. muslim does.

i can also find a black doctor instead of a thug/gang banger down in east new york or the streets of compton los angeles. i can also find a white guy listening to rap music and talking in ebonics. i can find a man, thomas beatie, who gave birth on oprah's tv show. these are exceptions to the rule. i go by averages and the bell curve fits what i say. muslims support their quran which is based on law, NOT a simple belief in god. that law is called sharia. they will not let local law override their quran. not gonna happen.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,081,067 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
most people here are mature enough not to do that. rather what is blamed is the religion of islam.

its obvious the world would be a much better place the more muslims left islam and followed a different religion instead. or become atheists and agnostics.
I find the Christian bible to be barbaric and some of its believers/practitioners to be barbarians.

Most Christians, however, are not.

I'm not at all familiar with the Qur'an but have seen a few excerpts that I believe to be barbaric. Quite obviously, some practitioners of Islam are barbarians.

Most Muslims, however, are not.

I hope the moderate Muslims, like the moderate Christians, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics and Others find a collective voice - one that drowns out the snarls and whines of the rabid fundamentalists from wherever they hail.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,077,686 times
Quote:
7.. just because you feel that way does not mean the avg. muslim does.

i can also find a black doctor instead of a thug/gang banger down in east new york or the streets of compton los angeles.
Lookout! Massive stereotypes coming through! Make way, make way!!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:

yes you are an exception to the rule. go look at all the media available on how europe is becoming eurabia. have you seen the mosques-turned-jihadi-recruiting-stations in london? first that meat cleaver attack and recently charlie hebdo in france. there were many other incidents as well like the july 7 bombing of the bus. there are no-go zones in london for non-muslims in bangladeshi areas. those people do not want to assimilate. there are news and videos over how muslims use sharia law over british law. just because you feel that way does not mean the avg. muslim does.

i can also find a black doctor instead of a thug/gang banger down in east new york or the streets of compton los angeles. i can also find a white guy listening to rap music and talking in ebonics. i can find a man, thomas beatie, who gave birth on oprah's tv show. these are exceptions to the rule. i go by averages and the bell curve fits what i say. muslims support their quran which is based on law, NOT a simple belief in god. that law is called sharia. they will not let local law override their quran. not gonna happen.
Sharia is quite different from what the media shows as being Sharia. Probably the worse examples of what is passed off as sharia are Wahabbi and Jafa'ari.

The only Sharia recognized as Sharia are Maliki, Hanbali, Hanafi and Shafi'i

While some Islamic contries use Sharia Civil Law, following one of the 4 schools of Islamic Jurisprudence. (Named above)
No nation uses Sharia Criminal Law. Saudia Arabia uses the Criminal laws established by the al-Saud Monarchy in 1930. Iran uses the Jafari'i code introduced by Ayatollah Khomeini after the Shah was overthrown in about 1970 if memory serves me correctly.

Currently the ACEH Provence of Indomesia is trying to establish Sharia following the Shafi'i Madhab. so far they have failed as about 2 percent of the population does not want it. In order for actual Sharia to work the nation or Provence has to be 100% Muslim and all desiring Sharia,.

Sharia. criminal law can not work unless there is 100% agreement that it is desired.
Under the few time when there was actual Sharia, convictions for crimes were virtually unheard of. It was said that if a sharia judge sentenced more than one person, during his entire career, he has abused his power.

The sources of Sharia are as follows

First the Qur'an which only addresses a few crime. If a crime is not mentioned in the Qur'an the next source is

The Sunnah if it is not covered there the next source is

Consensus of the Ulema, it it is not there the next source is

Recognized scholars of Islamic Jurisprudence, If not there the next and final source is

Local traditions and laws.

The 4 Madhabs of Sharia were formed about 200 years after Muhammad(saws) they basically lay out the basics for each Madhab. Sharia does differ from nation to nation and even within localities within a Nation. If followed fully the death penalty would never be used. About half the Islamic nations have never used the death penalty and many of the remaining have abandoned it about 20 years ago or before.

In recent times only a hanful of Islamic nations have used the death penalty.
Up until about 9/11 the state of Texas annually had more executions than all of the Islamic nations combined.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:21 PM

430 posts, read 479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I find the Christian bible to be barbaric and some of its believers/practitioners to be barbarians.

Most Christians, however, are not.

I'm not at all familiar with the Qur'an but have seen a few excerpts that I believe to be barbaric. Quite obviously, some practitioners of Islam are barbarians.

Most Muslims, however, are not.

I hope the moderate Muslims, like the moderate Christians, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics and Others find a collective voice - one that drowns out the snarls and whines of the rabid fundamentalists from wherever they hail.
99.99% of christians are not.

80% of muslims are not.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
99.99% of christians are not.

80% of muslims are not.

How did you arrive at the figures of 99.9% and 80% ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality