Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:00 PM

15 posts, read 35,823 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am 24 years old, and currently consider myself Agnostic. I am intrigued by Scientology after a discussion I had with someone who was trying to recruit me recently. I never had an experience like that before. His energy and the WAY he spoke to me were electric. Electric is the only word that describes it. His words were so direct, I felt them inside of me. He asked if I ever murdered anyone. I said no. He said extremely directly "I KNOW you're not telling the truth. I KNOW you have murdered people and you must confess this truth, and we WILL help you do that". I was a little freighted to be honest. He had me almost believing that I had killed someone. He invited me to a service and an auditing session. He said the experience will "cleanse me and heighten my awareness". I've heard pretty awful things about Scientology. Like people loosing all of their money to the church and becoming homeless. People being followed. I heard one story of a woman who was fired from her job because they aired her secrets to her boss after she quit the church. Maybe I should go and see what it's really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
He's a salesman. His job is to intrigue you. What'd you expect? He's probably a terrific salesman and he knew how to bait you. Maybe he can sell you a Kirby next.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb8251 View Post
Hello. I am 24 years old, and currently consider myself Agnostic. I am intrigued by Scientology after a discussion I had with someone who was trying to recruit me recently. I never had an experience like that before. His energy and the WAY he spoke to me were electric. Electric is the only word that describes it. His words were so direct, I felt them inside of me. He asked if I ever murdered anyone. I said no. He said extremely directly "I KNOW you're not telling the truth. I KNOW you have murdered people and you must confess this truth, and we WILL help you do that". I was a little freighted to be honest. He had me almost believing that I had killed someone. He invited me to a service and an auditing session. He said the experience will "cleanse me and heighten my awareness". I've heard pretty awful things about Scientology. Like people loosing all of their money to the church and becoming homeless. People being followed. I heard one story of a woman who was fired from her job because they aired her secrets to her boss after she quit the church. Maybe I should go and see what it's really like.
Sorry to hear that. It is a dangerous cult. Curiosity is the bane of youth.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Youve heard awful things about them...and the guy tried to convince you that you'd murdered someone. The guy sounds deranged. And yet you are considering joining? How about just not joining and getting on with your life?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
My advice it to stay away. Your first encounter was someone trying to make you confess you murdered someone so why would you want to see more?

This is a relative of the founder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QsCrFANMzc

Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
He's a salesman. His job is to intrigue you. What'd you expect? He's probably a terrific salesman and he knew how to bait you. Maybe he can sell you a Kirby next.
The Kirby would be the better buy.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:03 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
John 14:6.

Jesus Christ is the way, not any religion or philosophy not based on Him.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
So what exactly intrigues you about it? You make a pretty reasonable case against even getting your feet wet there in your own post.

The idea that some knucklehead can accuse you of a despicable crime? That sounds more like a reason to steer clear of such a person, and anything they would associate with, to me.

Realize that anybody with enough depravity can sound important, or like they've found something you haven't...or they are part of some super secret club of elite minds or something. Please realize that such things are not proof of enlightenment...and more probably (read: almost certainly) proof of somebody that wishes to extract something from you (at some point).

You are right to be skeptical about all religions, but you should be even more skeptical of anybody challenging your known reality, when it aligns itself with the objective view of others.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
He had me almost believing that I had killed someone.
Dude. That's called manipulation. It's a classic technique all cults use to recruit. Then it's used to keep people in the cult. That particular cult is VERY good at separating people from their money.

Run, do not walk, the other way.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
He accused you of murder!!!!He made you almost believe you did?????
Run from them.
You may want to stay agnostic for now and do some personal searching if you want a religion/belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality