Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 PM

867 posts, read 908,659 times

Advertisements

This is just a thought exercise and it's just something that I'm curious about so don't take this as me preaching to you. However, supposing something major happened and there was some kind of evidence God existed. I'll even guide you through the question: this doesn't mean proof a particular religion is valid just that something major happened proving without a doubt God existed, not a tenet of any religion.

What would you do? Would you change anything about the way you live life? Would it be business as usual?

There are no right or wrong answers; it's just a thought exercise. I kind of suspect one answer is going to appear but I don't want to influence the answers so I'll keep it to myself until it does appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:43 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
This is just a thought exercise and it's just something that I'm curious about so don't take this as me preaching to you. However, supposing something major happened and there was some kind of evidence God existed. I'll even guide you through the question: this doesn't mean proof a particular religion is valid just that something major happened proving without a doubt God existed, not a tenet of any religion.

What would you do? Would you change anything about the way you live life? Would it be business as usual?

There are no right or wrong answers; it's just a thought exercise. I kind of suspect one answer is going to appear but I don't want to influence the answers so I'll keep it to myself until it does appear.
Having had such an experience . . . my reaction was to seek any information that would help my intellect understand and come to grips with the all implications. So I did.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:

It would depend on exactly what type, or which god was demonstrated. I mean if there was solid evidence for some sort of hands off Deistic god concept, or some sort of Universal Field, or the like it probably would change very little about my life. I would still have to make decisions the same way I do now about what is good and moral, these types of deities provide little or no additional guidance on behavior beside our own conscience.

If it were some sort of god that was actively involved in our universe, and humanity specifically, then I would have a choice to make. Do I align myself with this god simply because it is powerful, or do I evaluate it based on my own understanding of morality and make my decision on those grounds? I would like to think I would do the latter, but even a non-omnipotent god actively interfering with humanity might be threatening enough that my instincts for self preservation, or protecting my family, would kick in and I would kowtow to a being I believed was immoral.

If the god that was evidenced did match up well with my idea of morality, then I would probably not have to make a lot of changes in my life, but perhaps there would be some. It is hard to know... I mean maybe some added ritual or something, but I am not sure there would need to be significant changes...

-NoCapo

Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM

867 posts, read 908,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Having had such an experience . . . my reaction was to seek any information that would help my intellect understand and come to grips with the all implications. So I did.
Hey, Mystic, can you go in greater detail of how you ended up resolving things and what is yet to be resolved?

The reason I ask is because I've experienced a bunch of miracles and mystical experiences in the last five years and I'm still learning to process it.

For example, here are some things I can only partially resolve or I cannot resolve:

1. Innate inequality. I've come to terms with the fact that there are differences among individuals but I cannot come to terms with the idea that God intended it this way. The only way I can resolve it is to assume God did not create us and that these differences do not interfere with our general ability to go to Heaven.

2. How many people actually go to Heaven? I don't believe in the concept of Hell but people are generally so spiritually flawed I cannot imagine they would go to Heaven. At this point I estimate the number of people in our generation who will go to Heaven is at twenty percent with the rest just reincarnating.

3. Not enough guidance. The only guidance I believe we have is the Gospel, not even Paul, and Buddhist Sutra but that is not much. This one is sort of easy to resolve as it makes clear that not much guidance may be necessary if people just implemented the little we have. I genuinely believe in, "seek and ye shall find," but if not enough people know how to seek, why to seek, what to seek it could lead to a lot of unnecessary frustration.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
It would depend which god it was, and if it was an omniscient or omnipotent one. Hestia, that would be perfectly cool and fine. Loki or Yahweh, now that would be some baaad ****. I'd just have to do what I could to fight it and keep my family safe as long as I could.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Go look here for a lot of similar responses:

Atheists, what would be your reaction...

Old 04-20-2015, 05:45 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,358 times
Quote:
This is just a thought exercise and it's just something that I'm curious about so don't take this as me preaching to you. However, supposing something major happened and there was some kind of evidence God existed.
Which one? Evidence of a deist god would be much different than evidence of a Great Old One.

Quote:
I'll even guide you through the question: this doesn't mean proof a particular religion is valid just that something major happened proving without a doubt God existed, not a tenet of any religion.
Not sure what this means. Is it that the evidence is vague enough that no one know what it actually means? Or that it is specific enough to disprove every existing religion?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
For me, I suppose it would depend on the nature of the evidence. For instance, if cosmologists found a mathematical proof of an intelligence behind the formation of the universe - well, okay, it might be intriguing but there would be no reason to change my life at all.

If the evidence was God actually showing up and delivering a message to the entire world, well, depending on the message, I MIGHT change a few things about the way I live. However, there wouldn't be much I could change ... or would need to change.

Generally speaking, there is very little that the existence of a god could do that would alter my life given that my specific set of circumstances prohibits me from having much control over how I live it. It would be akin to God yelling at a quadriplegic to get up and run the Boston Marathon - the God can yell all it wants, but unless he heals the man, the quadriplegic isn't getting out of that wheelchair much less running a marathon.

To say any more than this would require more specificity and detail.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:

depends on how he showed himself.

for me I would hope the aliens were friendly.

But, today, the evidence shows that "no-nothing" isn't really logical. So what does that leave us.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
My Atheist years ended when I found proof that Allaah(swt) existed.
When one finds verification something exists, how can they deny it exists?

Atheist are not such by choice, they are because they have no proof God(swt) exist. If they find proof, they are no no longer Atheists.
An Atheist is not anti-God, they have no reason to believe He exists.

What would you do if you found the "Invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster" actually exists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality