Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to ask what you all think about that. Would God look favorably upon them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Yes.
They took out the trash for us.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
They can go to heaven if they repent.

"Thou shall not kill". I know they were just doing their jobs. I know that the criminals probably deserved to die. It is still a violation of the 6th commandment.

Same goes for the guy who shot Osama Bin Laden. He was following orders, and Osama surely had it coming. Still a sin.

Sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Allowing terrorists to run around unpunished would be a greater evil than killing them. It doesn't change the fact that killing the terrorist is a sin that requires repentance.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Just wanted to ask what you all think about that. Would God look favorably upon them?
There is a Bible Rule: DO NOT KILL. But does it apply only to murder or to killing in the war and executing people?

Some think it's ok and some think that God will consider that a sin (war killing and executing people). And if you sin, the only way to go to heaven is to repent.

But "repent" doesn't mean "saying the words". Repent means to truly feel remorse about your actions. So from this perspective, IF it was a sin in the first place, and those people came to believe that and started to feel truly sorry, God could forgive them and take them to heaven.

But maybe it's not a sin.... Or maybe those people don't believe that it's a sin, so they wouldn't feel remorseful...(and from a certain perspective then they won't repent and won't go to heaven)

Old 04-20-2015, 02:47 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Heaven doesn't exist just because people want it to or because someone claims it does. So I would not expect executioners to have an easier or harder time than the next person. In fact I would go so far as to say they will have as easy of a time as I will coping with oblivion.

It may be that you expect to go to heaven and are troubled at the prospect of sharing it with executioners. A version of that was problematic with the evangelical crowd that I came of age with. One time a guest speaker was invited to speak to the student body of the Bible Institute I attended, in a chapel service. He ran an inner city ministry of some kind and so was more "street" than most in our crowd, despite being quite old. He said many of us would be surprised and perhaps dismayed at the people who we will find to be in heaven when we get there. Presbyterians, Methodists, even some Catholics. You should have seen the president of the school squirm in his seat on the stage -- no doubt anxious about the slippery slope towards the sin of ecumenism that the speaker's view entailed. That guy was never invited back, I can assure you.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Does God look favorably upon the people who are pro-death penalty?

In this country the guy who flips the switch does it because of capital punishment statutes/laws. Two years ago California voters voted against a measure that would have repealed capital punishment. Can those voters go to heaven?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
You got a job offer? And you're checking on the benefits package?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Up until a person breathes their last breath they can choose heaven or hell.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I'm an atheist and even I believe he would go to heaven.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:24 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
What about obeying the law of the land? Do Christians have to obey the laws of the land?

And, yes, I believe people who hold a job to carry out a lawful endeavor have just as much chance of going to Heaven as anyone else. Repent? I don't think those people that are doing evil deeds can truly ever be sorry with their heart, maybe in their head but that won't get the job done. They can chant holy words until the cows come home but it will amount to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality