U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 AM

492 posts, read 373,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Thanks 2Q&Lrn&Hlp for such comprehensive feedback and very useful links.

"A few verses have even been inserted in some Bible books for that purpose. . . The Bible I use most omits such verses altogether in its latest revision, while the one I used before contained them only as footnotes along with the explanation why they don't belong in the main text."

May I know which Bible you use most? Can you suggest few useful books on the subject for reference purpose? That'd be great. Really appreciate it. Thanks again.

The . . .

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures - 2013 Revision
^online format^, also available in print

"Features of This Revision" are explained in this article:

"Is the New World Translation Accurate?" is another article that should interest you:

An excellent help to learn its main teachings, is the aid for Bible study:

"What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

The brochure: "The Bible—What Is Its Message?", I gave the link for in my initial answer.
It will take you through the main events in the Bible in chronological order, and introduce its main characters. A very interesting read!

To get an idea of how amazing it is that the Bible has survived to this day, I suggest reading:

"The Bible—A Remarkable Story of Survival"

And, this is a collection of several articles that discuss & describe why we can trust the Bible itself:

"Can You Trust the Bible?"

The Scripture references in their online formats double as links to open the verses at a click!
And, I encourage you to always read & compare what they say with the other text you are reading.

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

"Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine!" (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 04-28-2015 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 AM

492 posts, read 373,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Sheol. Christian bibles translate this a hell, a loaded word with a lots of erroneous history behind it.

Somewhere in my reading I recall there at least two Jewish translations that do not contain the word hell. KJV contains over 50 occurances of the word hell while the RSV contains fewer than 40. How can that be if the bible is inerrant?

God's Word itself is inerrant.

It is translations which have been made by men who are not following God's will in translating it accurately . . . which have serious errors, in some cases even fake insertions.

If I wrote a letter to my family, and someone else recopied it whilst inserting things that I never said, or in ways I never said them . . . would my letter say those things, or the fraudulent copies . . . ?

By the way, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures has never used the word 'hell'.

Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, under “Hell” says:

“fr[om] . . . helan to conceal.”

The word “hell” thus originally conveyed the simple thought of a ‘covered over or concealed place.’

In the old English dialect the expression “helling potatoes” meant simply to place the potatoes in a cool, dark, place . . . never to heat them.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:31 AM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
I believe that we have established that, when we read the OT at least we are not being seriously misled by grossly distorted mistranslations of the Hebrew.

Whether what it said in either Hebrew, Greek, Latin or English is another matter.

So is the New Testament, and I will leave to the individual to decide whether all scripture is to be taken as true simply because Paul (from whom I would never buy a used car) said so.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM

27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
The . . .

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures - 2013 Revision
^online format^, also available in print

"Features of This Revision" are explained in this article:

"Is the New World Translation Accurate?" is another article that should interest you:

An excellent help to learn its main teachings, is the aid for Bible study:

"What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

The brochure: "The Bible—What Is Its Message?", I gave the link for in my initial answer.
It will take you through the main events in the Bible in chronological order, and introduce its main characters. A very interesting read!

To get an idea of how amazing it is that the Bible has survived to this day, I suggest reading:

"The Bible—A Remarkable Story of Survival"

And, this is a collection of several articles that discuss & describe why we can trust the Bible itself:

"Can You Trust the Bible?"

The Scripture references in their online formats double as links to open the verses at a click!
And, I encourage you to always read & compare what they say with the other text you are reading.

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

"Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine!" (1 Thessalonians 5:21)
And no scripture is open to private interpretation...2 Peter...I think...

Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 AM

758 posts, read 807,349 times
Thanks, 2Q&Lrn&Hlp for the info. May I ask, in your opinion, what is the main difference between the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures and a typical Bible?

Old 04-29-2015, 06:49 AM

758 posts, read 807,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The TaANAkh is different...The complete Jewish bible (CJB) is a English translation of a Hebrew translation from the Christian Old Testament so you have to be careful, it was published by the Messianics...
In that case, is there an accurate English version of the Tanakh that is free from the potential problem in translation?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,689,872 times
Quote:
In that case, is there an accurate English version of the Tanakh that is free from the potential problem in translation?
The Artscroll Tanakh is widely used

Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The Artscroll Tanakh is widely used
Stone Edition

Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM

And the Artscroll Stone Edition Chumash for the 5 books of Moses, also in English

Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,387,345 times
Quote:
1) What are the differences between the two?
Quite a few things, some of which are based on interpretation and others on eisegesis.
You have to keep in mind that the Old Testament used in most Christian Bibles aren't translated directly from the Hebrew; the are based off of the Latin Vulgate, which is in turn based off the Greek Septuagint. The Vulgate was composed after the Council of Nicaea, where the main tenets of Christianity had been formulated, and where the division of Judaism and Christianity had been cemented.

In the Hebrew Bible, you're not going to find the basis for ideas like vicarious salvation, immaculate conception, the deification of the messiah, eternal punishment, or other key Christian ideas.

And, to be fair, some of the differences occur in how the New Testament explains the events that occur in the Old; the authors of the New Testament went to great lengths to make sure they stitched the two together to tell the story they wanted.

Quote:
2) What are the similarities between the two?
A lot is the same.

Quote:
3) Do they contradict each other in context?
At times.

Quote:
4) Can they be cross-referenced using each other’s texts?
For the most part. Some of the chapters and verses are numbered differently, and some of the books outside of the Pentateuch are arraigned in different order.

Quote:
5) Are there any scriptures that are contained in one but not the other?
Yes. Many Christian Bibles include Maccabees, the Book of Wisdom, Sirach, and a couple of prophets that don't appear in the Jewish canon.

Quote:
6) Can Hebrew Bible be a Christian Bible’s Companion?
7) Will I get an even better understanding of the Bible if I read both?
8) Will I be confused if I read both?
I think that all Christians can benefit form reading the Jewish Bible. It might be confusing in areas, but it can also provide an insight to why we (Jews) believe what we believe. And more information is rarely a bad thing.

One of my coworkers is a very religious Baptist, and we have some great conversations about how we look at different ideas found in our Bibles and how they each differ. He's partial to the KJV, and I keep a Stone Edition Tanakh at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or