U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 AM

27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Isn't an Orthodox Jew to the Jewish faith what fundamentalism is to Christianity, not willing to give an inch to any alternate ideas?
I would say so...But I think that UO relies more heavily on Talmud than Torah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:59 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,689,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Isn't an Orthodox Jew to the Jewish faith what fundamentalism is to Christianity, not willing to give an inch to any alternate ideas?
No
Orthodox Jew follows halacha (Jewish law)
other streams of Judaism selectively pick and choose which parts of halacha to follow

Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,689,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Then why was such drastic change in the OT?
the Old Testament was edited/revised/changed by Christians to have a Christian perspective and "match up with" the New Testament in delivering a Christian message

Old 05-16-2015, 07:56 AM

758 posts, read 807,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the Old Testament was edited/revised/changed by Christians to have a Christian perspective and "match up with" the New Testament in delivering a Christian message
I'd read similar claims in few other threads. I have no idea which part of the Tanach had been revised to create the Christian's OT, or how much of the original OT had been changed to compliment the New Testament. I've made it my quest to find out as much as I possibly can by studying both Tanach and the OT closely. By doing so I hope to gain a better understanding of Judaism and Christianity. It is just a beginning of a very long spiritual journey of mine.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I'd read similar claims in few other threads. I have no idea which part of the Tanach had been revised to create the Christian's OT, or how much of the original OT had been changed to compliment the New Testament. I've made it my quest to find out as much as I possibly can by studying both Tanach and the OT closely. By doing so I hope to gain a better understanding of Judaism and Christianity. It is just a beginning of a very long spiritual journey of mine.
The Tanakh and the OT are 2 different things.

While it is possible to translate the Tanakh so that it has resemblance to the OT, it is not an accurate translation.

I am not Jewish and can not give an accurate interpretation of the Tanakh, but I have learned a little from my Jewish relatives that to understand the Tanakh properly one must first have a very good understanding of the oral tradition.

To learn the Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh, it is best to ask a Jew and not rely on translations or interpretations by non-Jews.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

While it is possible to translate the Tanakh so that it has resemblance to the OT, it is not an accurate translation.

I am not Jewish and can not give an accurate interpretation of the Tanakh, but I have learned a little from my Jewish relatives that to understand the Tanakh properly one must first have a very good understanding of the oral tradition.

To learn the Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh, it is best to ask a Jew and not rely on translations or interpretations by non-Jews.
Interesting...What do you think of the Great Isaiah Scroll?...

Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Interesting...What do you think of the Great Isaiah Scroll?...
I have not read enough about it to form an opinion.

But from what I have seen of the other Dead Sea scrolls, it is best that a non-Jew not make any interpretation of them.

From what I understand is the Dead sea scroll were written by the Essenes. which I believe I is considered a heretical Movement.

While they may have influenced Christianity, I do not think they reflect Judaism of the era.

Just my opinion and I admit I am lacking in knowledge.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I have not read enough about it to form an opinion.

But from what I have seen of the other Dead Sea scrolls, it is best that a non-Jew not make any interpretation of them.

From what I understand is the Dead sea scroll were written by the Essenes. which I believe I is considered a heretical Movement.

While they may have influenced Christianity, I do not think they reflect Judaism of the era.

Just my opinion and I admit I am lacking in knowledge.
The reason I ask is the proffering it as proof, specifically Isaiah 53, as being a Messianic Prophecy, however the translators where Gentile, and one was from Trinity University, so I wonder if the translation would therefore be biased...It is curious that no Jewish Scholars were employed to translate it since it is a Jewish text...

Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The reason I ask is the proffering it as proof, specifically Isaiah 53, as being a Messianic Prophecy, however the translators where Gentile, and one was from Trinity University, so I wonder if the translation would therefore be biased...It is curious that no Jewish Scholars were employed to translate it since it is a Jewish text...
I will simply say"There are people that do not want a Judaic interpretation" and leave it at that.

J

Old 05-23-2015, 12:04 AM

758 posts, read 807,349 times
Quote:

They certainly are different, but I've gathered that one is originated from the other, and I'm keen to find out the similarities and differences between them. I'm also very interested to learn the original text in Tanach. The Artscroll English Tanach was recommended to me when I asked for an accurate English translation. It was said to be a popular choice. Is it not the case in your opinion? I take it as the closest thing for a non-Hebrew speaking gentile such as myself.

I'm afraid the understanding of the oral tradition is beyond my capability since I don't speak Hebrew at all. I must content myself with reading and comparing the texts, at least for the current moment. It is always the best to have some knowledgeable Jewish friends to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or