U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM

758 posts, read 807,222 times

Advertisements

Iím hoping someone whoís read through both or has extensive knowledge on both would answer my query below:

1) What are the differences between the two?
2) What are the similarities between the two?
3) Do they contradict each other in context?
4) Can they be cross-referenced using each otherís texts?
5) Are there any scriptures that are contained in one but not the other?
6) Can Hebrew Bible be a Christian Bibleís Companion?
7) Will I get an even better understanding of the Bible if I read both?
8) Will I be confused if I read both?

Iím interested in the Hebrew Bible and want to learn more from a Christianís point of view. I need help from a knowledgeable Bible scholar who is familiar with both. Thanks in advance for your assistance. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 PM

867 posts, read 725,367 times
If you go to Barnes and Noble you can get an English translation of the Tanakh with the Hebrew on one side and the English on the other. They aren't expensive.

A while back I cross referenced a couple of Old Testament sections with the Tanakh and I didn't find any real differences. Jews will say they are completely different but then they have never read the Bible before.

Beats me why you want to study the Old Testament when you are Christian but what the Hell do I care.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Beats me why you want to study the Old Testament when you are Christian but what the Hell do I care.
I study the entire Bible, naturally, as a Christian. But I'm particularly interested in the comparison between the Old Testament and the Hebrew Bible since it is the original source.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:06 AM

492 posts, read 373,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Old Testament of Christian Bible vs Hebrew Bible (English Version) . . . I’m hoping someone who’s read through both[,] or has extensive knowledge on both[,] would answer my query below:

Assuming we are discussing those which have been faithfully translated from the oldest available Bible manuscripts . . . there is no difference. They are the exact same thing.

The "Hebrew Scriptures" are what many people have learned to call the 'Old Testament',
because that is what it is called in most Bibles. However, 'Old Testament' is really a misnomer,
because it is still a very important part of Scripture!

"The Expressions 'The Old Testament' and 'The New Testament'"
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001060106

The Catholics, however, include in their copies of the Bible, books & verses that were never accepted as part of the Holy Scriptures . . . either by Jews or the early Christians . . . Those books & verses do contradict what the oldest available manuscripts say. Besides seriously contradicting the canonical Scriptures, they have been shown to have been written after the close of the Bible canon at the death of the last of Jesus' apostles.

"APOCRYPHA"
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000305

The Catholic Church also led the way in removing the actual name of God from God's own Word . . . over 7,000 times throughout it! And, many Bibles used by non-Catholic churches are based on Catholic Bibles, so they either totally omit God's name, too . . . or, only use it in a very few of the verses it originally appears in . . . most often Psalm 83:18, and, Exodus 6:3:

Compare 37 Translations for Psalms 83:18 . . .
http://www.biblestudytools.com/psalm...8-compare.html

Compare 37 Translations for Exodus 6:3 . . .
http://www.biblestudytools.com/exodus/6-3-compare.html

Quote:
4) Can they be cross-referenced using each other’s texts?
6) Can Hebrew Bible be a Christian Bible’s Companion?
The Hebrew Scriptures are the basis upon which the Christian Greek Scriptures are based.
They are the first part of the Holy Scriptures, and as such an integral & essential part of God's Word!

They contain the historical relationship between mankind & our Creator . . . hundreds of prophesies; fulfillments of prophesies; examples --both good & bad-- to learn from; etc.!

No one can gain a well-rounded understanding of the Holy Writings without thoroughly studying both the Hebrew & Greek Scriptures, comparing them together. (Christ quoted extensively from the Hebrew Scriptures!)

So, the Hebrew Scriptures are still very much an important part of God's Word!

"Is the “Old Testament” Still Relevant?"
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007640

Quote:
When you read one, you are reading both . . .

However, if you compare different translations --one accurately translated, and one not-- while that can be confusing . . . researching the original text & word-for-word translation of the verse in question will eventually clear up the seeming discrepancies. (This kind of Bible is an 'Interlinear' Bible, but you still have to be careful because some of those word-for-word translators sometimes showed bias in their work, too. So . . . careful & diligent comparison of all Bible verses related to any given subject is the way to ascertain for certain what the Bible itself teaches. The Bible itself is entirely harmonious throughout. If something doesn't fit, more study is required to uncover why, and reveal for sure the correct understanding!) . . .

The "Hebrew Interlinear Bible" is one example:
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...brew_Index.htm

This is very important to do, because many translators have tended to word things to reflect a biased opinion of what a given verse means . . . instead of remaining loyal to actual Bible teachings. (The doing of that led to many seeming discrepancies!)

A few verses have even been inserted in some Bible books for that purpose. . . The Bible I use most omits such verses altogether in its latest revision, while the one I used before contained them only as footnotes along with the explanation why they don't belong in the main text.

Quote:
I’m interested in the Hebrew Bible and want to learn more from a Christian’s point of view. I need help from a knowledgeable Bible scholar who is familiar with both.
The articles I've posted links to were written by Bible scholars who have studied God's Word extensively for many years . . . both the Hebrew and Christian Greek Scriptures together.

There are many other aids to understanding the Bible, on that same website: http://jw.org/en .
Feel free to use the Search Engines and 'surf' the site freely! There is even a page from which you can request personal help . . . Also, a Bible encyclopedia & several Bibles. (The aids to Bible study, which concentrate on one subject at a time, are my favorites!)

Especially related to your stated desire to understand the Hebrew Scriptures, are the detailed articles in Appendix A of the Bible I use most frequently:

A1 Principles of Bible Translation
A3 How the Bible Came to Us
A4 The Divine Name in the Hebrew Scriptures
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/appendix-a/

Also, the brochure:

"The Bible—What Is Its Message?"
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-message/
(The first 15 sections are based upon the Hebrew Scriptures.)

Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,898,221 times
Quote:
Iím hoping someone whoís read through both or has extensive knowledge on both would answer my query below:

4) Can they be cross-referenced using each otherís texts?
6) Can Hebrew Bible be a Christian Bibleís Companion?

Iím interested in the Hebrew Bible and want to learn more from a Christianís point of view. I need help from a knowledgeable Bible scholar who is familiar with both. Thanks in advance for your assistance. God bless.
Sheol. Christian bibles translate this a hell, a loaded word with a lots of erroneous history behind it.

Somewhere in my reading I recall there at least two Jewish translations that do not contain the word hell. KJV contains over 50 occurances of the word hell while the RSV contains fewer than 40. How can that be if the bible is inerrant?

Old 04-26-2015, 04:27 AM

39,062 posts, read 10,837,135 times
It does depend upon the translation, of course. But I don't see the inerrancy question as just being differences in translation, or even supposed changes in the text over time - and I can say that I accept that copying and re-copying has not resulted in significant errors, as shown in the dead sea scrolls.

No, Inerrancy, to be a significant argument must be about the Bible being wrong. Real errors, not just errors of translation.

Incidentally, kudos to 2Q&Lrn&Hlp for a fine explanatory post.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Thanks 2Q&Lrn&Hlp for such comprehensive feedback and very useful links.

"A few verses have even been inserted in some Bible books for that purpose. . . The Bible I use most omits such verses altogether in its latest revision, while the one I used before contained them only as footnotes along with the explanation why they don't belong in the main text."

May I know which Bible you use most? Can you suggest few useful books on the subject for reference purpose? That'd be great. Really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 AM

27,963 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Quote:
I study the entire Bible, naturally, as a Christian. But I'm particularly interested in the comparison between the Old Testament and the Hebrew Bible since it is the original source.
The TaANAkh is different...The complete Jewish bible (CJB) is a English translation of a Hebrew translation from the Christian Old Testament so you have to be careful, it was published by the Messianics...

Old 04-27-2015, 07:29 AM

27,963 posts, read 15,053,894 times
The Christian OT was translated to English from the Septuagint not the TaNaKh...

Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM

39,062 posts, read 10,837,135 times
Yes, that's a point. Do the translations we have now still use the Septuagint readings or do they go to the original hebrew? Indeed, didn't the KJV also use hebrew texts as well as Greek?

...Yep, there are many versions now that go to the Hebrew, not the Septuagint. The point about the selection of the Hebrew writings to suit Christianity is a valid one, though.

Just what in the Hebrew scripture is omitted from the Biblical OT? Anything much apart from some Apochrypha?

...the books are all there. Just the order is different. Mainly in the 'writings' (Kethuvim) being shifted to link with relevant chapters, such as Psalms of David moved to the chapters about David.

Apaert from the order of books, it seems our OT is an accurate translation of the Hebrew scriptures.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-27-2015 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or