Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The probability that any human being lives on after death is:
0% 43 58.11%
Up to 25% 1 1.35%
25 to 50% 2 2.70%
50 to 75% 6 8.11%
75 to 100% 22 29.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,551 times

Advertisements

50/50

There will be or there won't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
50/50

There will be or there won't be.
In other words, we don't know.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,210,758 times
The only immortality one has is in the memories of loved ones, pics, social media now and that's it. We return to the source which is nothing.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:51 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Maybe you used the word probability rather than possibility on purpose.
Since you did, 0 has to be the choice whereas 'possibility' would have required 0 to 25 ( on the very low end)

Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe you used the word probability rather than possibility on purpose.
Since you did, 0 has to be the choice whereas 'possibility' would have required 0 to 25 ( on the very low end)
I agree completely. I also had to put 'nil' probability. Also with Rota's 50/50. Logic would imply this is not knowing either way and that would mandate not believing in an afterlife until you do know.

But of course, many would prefer the 'perhaps it's true..' "Agnostic" position. But that would also be at best subscribing to a possibility but not to a probability. So 50/50 would require the Nil vote on probability. I wonder whether that was what we got?

Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm sorry Arach..But your demeaning anyone who feels a connection with their forefathers/angels Is so beyond what you have preached like forever... Guess what? There are some MORE INTUNE to things beyond yourself/oneself...Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't make it NOT SO!!

I find preaching or quoting biblical texts kind of rather false narrative IF you cannot move beyond a written word...I found teaching my Bibble School kids to intuitive..They understood Parables..They accepted things that couldn't be proven ..THAT's called "Faith"

I guess I have been misguided Arch..I always thought you were informed and understood the purpose/ message....It's apparent..I have mistaken!!
All I can say IF you lack faith and require Scientific Proof..You will be side swiped..since many Politicians can;t even agree on Climate Change ( even tho Scientist 99% prove it) is real...Good luck SMH You are suppose to be advocating for God and the wellbeing of his flock?? Guess not since you neither care nor respect another's faith ..
demeaning? how was it demeaning? I stated what I believe. You don't have to I like it, but I didn't demean you. I even said I would never tell anybody not to think about it. You do know I am an atheist right? There is no magic to me, only observations..

Also, would you dismiss everything a person says and feels based on one disagreement on one (or a few) topic(s)? I don't believe in angles and I do feel connected to my past to a degree. It's just that I don't put too much weight in dead people past reading what they thought. I believe we are here now and let's do what it takes together.

I won't say I am sorry you feel that way. That would be demeaning to me. I would ask what is an angle and how do they interact with us. I could use what we know to talk about possibilities. But then we would have to be honest about witch possibilities are more , or less, valid.

I advance knowledge at the expense of ignorance. That's how I roll. I learned that from Jesus. The only reason I would carry a flag is so that we can hold the line. It doesn't matter once the battle is over, burn the flag so we understand that.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How convinced are you that there is any life or consciousness of a human being after death? What percent would you put on that probability?

I am interested in your reasons for your opinion.

I'm not sure what to put in your poll so I haven't answered. To me your question is in two parts:

Afterlife
If what you mean by afterlife is that we are all going to meet up with our relatives and pets and carry on as normal in some other world, then the answer is 0%.
Think about this:
  • Do you exist as a real, fully grown person or do you exist as some sort of spirit or dream floating about?
  • Meeting your relatives: Do you know how many homosapiens have ever existed? It's in the region of 110 Billion+. How are you going find these relatives to be re-united with?
  • When you reappear in this afterlife, at what age do you manifest? Some people live up to 100. Do you really think they want to live on in eternity as a 100 year old person with arthritis, a bad back and no teeth? What about the people who lived the last years of their lives in pain, or were even in pain from birth? What about the babies that never made it past a few months of age or who were born with cancer? What about the method of dying, was it natural or were you murdered?
  • Where is this afterlife located? In centuries past when we knew little more about the skies than the names of a few celestial bodies it was probably easy to imagine an afterlife somewhere above the clouds. These days we know pretty well what lies beyond the clouds. So if not up there, then where?
  • Who wants to be reunited with all the people you ever met anyway? There are a few people that I'd be very displeased to cross paths with again.
Err no, all of the above concepts of afterlife are just humanity's way of dealing with the idea that we will die one day and can't bear the thought that we won't see our loved ones again.
Of course the people who believe in an afterlife like this will say something like 'you live as yourself but with no pain'. How do they know? Like with the bible it's just cherry picking the bits you want to believe but actually since none of us know, all such scenarios are entirely imaginary.

Consciousness
Some sort of consciousness or energy existing after death is something I haven't completely ruled out. I'd put that somewhere above 0%. Maybe in the up to 25% zone.

I once read somewhere (wish I could find the quote) that the vast majority of people report some sort of 'experience' about someone that has passed on, than not.
I've had a few such experiences myself that I've talked about on here before. Atheism doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. I'm surrounded by atheists in my family - many of them have had similar experiences.
When I say 'consciousness' I can't define what I mean by that, since none of us can define consciousness, but in this sense, I don't mean a thinking, sentient being, but probably more along the lines of a sort of echo or imprint of us left behind for a time that possibly fades.
I'm basing this on things that I've experienced or witnessed. I guess it could also be down to coincidence or heightened senses in our own brains when loved ones die.
Nevertheless I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I'm really convinced there is an after-life. Here are my reasons:

1) There is plenty of evidence Ghosts exist. With technology such as EVP's, SB7 Spirit Boxes and Infrared Technology plenty of people have proof that there are Ghosts. It is not scientific but that doesn't mean there isn't proof; the legal system is also not scientific but plenty of evidence is required to convict someone in most circumstances. All that means is that there has not been a scientific study conducted or a scientific theory formulated about the existence of Ghosts. There probably will never be one because of the stigma involved.

I would say start Ghost hunting with a reputable group if you want to find your own evidence of Ghosts.

2) I've had my own personal experiences with the after life. I've been on some pretty funky spiritual journeys which conclude there is a life after death.

3) Mediums are pretty accurate in finding loved ones who have moved on. I'm seeing a medium for the first time and I'll have updates to share in the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal Sub-Forum.

4) Atheists are descendants of Neanderthals and they really don't have a developed soul. So, for them they think because they have to reincarnate for five thousand more years there is no God and there is no after life. All that means is that they still need to evolve like dogs and cows. That's all that means. In five thousand years from now there spirit will be ready to acknowledge there is a God. Don't trust a Neanderthal for spiritual matters.

If you need proof of the Neanderthal theory ask and I'll put up some pictures of atheists and show you how their features are primitive.

I hate to shatter your prejudices about atheists again but what you wrote here is utter garbage and doesn't even have the slightest relationship to the OP's question.
If you are of any European descent at all, even the slightest, you are absolutely guaranteed to have some Neanderthal DNA in you.
So unless you descend from Africa and Africa alone, you too are a descendant of a Neanderthal. Sorry about that love.

Plus you are aware you can have siblings - one atheist, one theist right?
Shatters your ignorant little theory right there.

All that nonsense about having to 'reincarnate for 5 thousand years or more'. What the...?
Total and utter claptrap. Have you ever even met an atheist?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I hate to shatter your prejudices about atheists again but what you wrote here is utter garbage and doesn't even have the slightest relationship to the OP's question.
If you are of any European descent at all, even the slightest, you are absolutely guaranteed to have some Neanderthal DNA in you.
So unless you descend from Africa and Africa alone, you too are a descendant of a Neanderthal. Sorry about that love.

Plus you are aware you can have siblings - one atheist, one theist right?
Shatters your ignorant little theory right there.

All that nonsense about having to 'reincarnate for 5 thousand years or more'. What the...?
Total and utter claptrap. Have you ever even met an atheist?
He has now

Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM

867 posts, read 908,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
He has now
No, I know quite a few atheists and agnostics in real life--agnostic in the traditional sense of believing there is a god but religion is not valid. To be honest I know quite a few more agnostics in real life than atheists. However, there is a difference between people in real life and people on message boards.

The people, college friends, who I know who are atheist in real life are so because they are not interested in the question. The general opinion tends to be that atheist is not an identity or anything to which they relate. In fact, it is probably more common for them to know and hang out with more religious moderates than to congregate with atheist. Also, they are atheist and intelligent which means they are logical and their atheism hinges on not being interested in the question and not having any empirical support to address the question.

So, I'm pretty certain if a friend of mine experienced a Ghost, which none have, they would no longer be atheist. Instead of forming some absurd theories on energies and imprints and quantum supernatural mechanics. Also, as atheists they are still sensitive to the Faith of others which means they don't try to convert others or take away faith; they just live their lives and if evidence comes about in the course of it they will change their minds. Their general opinion on the matter is they are good people they do good things in the world so God will not mind in the end, if he exists. This as opposed to the online atheist assertion that if there is an after-life we all get it, even murders, pedophiles, and people who take away Faith.

Also, I'm semi-retired but I have a few friends who are doctors, lawyers and engineers. So, they have lives and identities outside the concept of atheism.

Last edited by Artifice32; 05-11-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality